Proposal: CGY-STL Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
To CGY: Kyrou, Parayko, 2nd round pick

To STL: Tkachuk(50% retained), Hanifin

Just horrible for the Blues. Tkachuk is a great player, but I don't think he has much more value than Kyrou, who could end up the better player when all is said and done. And Parayko is worth more than Hanifin, so not sure why the Blues would do this.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Parayko's never been the same since the back-injury and loss of J-Bo/Petro. He cannot carry a pairing, like Petro did. Absent a strong partner, he's not the stud he used to be. That's no fault of his own - he's no worse of a player now than he was back then. He's probably smarter and obviously more experienced/savvy by now. He's just thrust into a situation that doesn't suit him. If he had the luxury of being paired with an Olympian in a 2nd pairing shut-down role again, I'm sure he'd go back to being an analytics darling and human eraser.

If all it takes to get Hanifin & a retained Tkachuk is Parayko, Kyrou and a 2nd Doug Armstrong would be a fool not to make it happen. He can pick up a Scott Mayfield, Josh Manson, Damon Severson, Jeff Petry or John Klingberg for RHD depth if needed. RHD aren't the unicorns they once were.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Parayko's never been the same since the back-injury and loss of J-Bo/Petro. He cannot carry a pairing, like Petro did. Absent a strong partner, he's not the stud he used to be. That's no fault of his own - he's no worse of a player now than he was back then. He's probably smarter and obviously more experienced/savvy by now. He's just thrust into a situation that doesn't suit him. If he had the luxury of being paired with an Olympian in a 2nd pairing shut-down role again, I'm sure he'd go back to being an analytics darling and human eraser.

If all it takes to get Hanifin & a retained Tkachuk is Parayko, Kyrou and a 2nd Doug Armstrong would be a fool not to make it happen. He can pick up a Scott Mayfield, Josh Manson, Damon Severson, Jeff Petry or John Klingberg for RHD depth if needed. RHD aren't the unicorns they once were.

I am okay with the Parayko part but not the Kyrou part

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This issue isn't even about value. I get the Tkachuk is better they Kyrou and there is retention this season. However, the cost of an extension - even just matching the Qualifying offer is just way way way to much for my blood. Next year, that 50% retention isn't part of the deal.

Bottom line, we can't afford him. Calgary can go ahead an qualify him at 9 million or what ever it is. I would rather have Kyrou at this point, taking contact situation into consideration.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I am okay with the Parayko part but not the Kyrou part
Who would you rather have in the playoffs? Kyrou or Tkachuk? Honest question. I'm not worried about it getting too rough or having defenses take away time and space with Tkachuk. Kyrou is a magician, for sure. I hope we don't witness a disappearing act in Round 1 though when the intensity kicks up a notch.

I'd expect CGY fans to hate this proposal; Blues fans too, to be fair.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Who would you rather have in the playoffs? Kyrou or Tkachuk? Honest question. I'm not worried about it getting too rough or having defenses take away time and space with Tkachuk. Kyrou is a magician, for sure. I hope we don't witness a disappearing act in Round 1 though when the intensity kicks up a notch.

I'd expect CGY fans to hate this proposal; Blues fans too, to be fair.

Tkachuk. But that’s because he’s much safer of a player. Tkachuk is the type of player you put with a Kyrou and watch them both stay a PPG.
However, if we were to make a deal like this were shooting ourselves in the foot for next season. We can’t afford Tkachuk without Tarasenko being moved. I don’t see a huge reason in this trade to handcuff ourselves into forcing a Tarasenko trade and getting minimal return when in all reality this deal is pretty much a wash as is.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Can I accept on behalf of the Flames as an Oilers fan?

LMAO at any Blues posters claiming Kyrou is as valuable a player as Tkachuk. If Matthew Tkachuk was already a Blue no St.Louis fans would be willing to move him and the type of player he is for Kyrou. The whole having to qualify him wouldn't be an issue and any opposing teams fan saying something like "you guys can't afford to sign Tkachuk" would be met with the "we will figure that out moving a lesser asset. You're not getting Tkachuk barring an overpayment."

The homerism on these boards in pure trash. I'm here defending my most hated rival, and my most hated player. For the record, I'd love to have Tkachuk in the blue and orange but since he wears red and orange he's on the sh^t list.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I appreciate seeing a voice of reason in this thread. I know posters get "attached" to their guys but I respect when a teams fan can speak honestly without rose coloured glasses.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Can I accept on behalf of the Flames as an Oilers fan?

LMAO at any Blues posters claiming Kyrou is as valuable a player as Tkachuk. If Matthew Tkachuk was already a Blue no St.Louis fans would be willing to move him and the type of player he is for Kyrou. The whole having to qualify him wouldn't be an issue and any opposing teams fan saying something like "you guys can't afford to sign Tkachuk" would be met with the "we will figure that out moving a lesser asset. You're not getting Tkachuk barring an overpayment."

The homerism on these boards in pure trash. I'm here defending my most hated rival, and my most hated player. For the record, I'd love to have Tkachuk in the blue and orange but since he wears red and orange he's on the sh^t list.

What is Tkachuk's contact status???? I would say that is very important. I personally, have no interest in brining him in and paying him his qualifying offer. He is likely a UFA in 2023. No way does that player return a PPG player.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is baseless. He is very likely not to be a UFA in 2023

Why not? Have you seen anything to suggest he is going to sign long term? I haven’t. His deal was set up to get him to UFA as quickly as possible.

Calgary qualifies him this summer, he becomes a UFA next year. I, personally don’t think he will sign long term there.

Ledge And Dairy

Why not? Have you seen anything to suggest he is going to sign long term? I haven’t. His deal was set up to get him to UFA as quickly as possible.

Calgary qualifies him this summer, he becomes a UFA next year. I, personally don’t think he will sign long term there.
It was set up to be cap compliant 2.5 years ago when he took a team friendly deal. Claiming it was set up to get him to UFA asap is just you being a hater.

You are the one claiming he is probably not going to sign more than 1 year. Why is that? Because the Tkachuk's "want go home?" Then why did his brother just sign a long term deal? There have been zero reports saying he will only do a 1 year deal or a long term deal. So me betting he will sign anywhere between 2-8 years is actually significantly more likely than just 1.

As for the QO, it's pretty unlikely he ever sees it as Calgary probably files for team arbitration in the first window

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
No way from the blues point of view. I guess we will see if the flames can sign their big forward or he walks into free agency.

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
This is a bad deal for the Blues imo but anyone who thinks that Kyrou and Tkachuk are equal are kidding themselves. I love Kyrou but he's just not on the same level.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
This deal doesn’t work. Kyrou’s speed is something we need on our team as we really don’t have that fast of a team. He’s really breaking out right now and still cheap. As much as I like Tkachuk he’s due 9 mil QO next yr and who knows what he will want after. Trading Parayko would murder our defense on the right, which we cannot do as our best d prospects plays on the left.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Don't really see the purpose for St. Louis. Tkachuk has a longer track record, but assuming Kyrou maintains close to this production moving forward, that's pretty close to a lateral move. Hanifin is a downgrade and just shifts our need from LHD to RHD. Mikkola is probably better in the top 4 than Bortozzo is, so an even bigger downgrade. And then we give a pick.
Did you really just say Tkachuk for Kyrou is a lateral move? Wow.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Did you really just say Tkachuk for Kyrou is a lateral move? Wow.
If maintains and close, almost like those words are important. Just how in 18/19 when Lindholm broke out, you wouldn't have paid a premium to get a more established 1st line center when there was a solid chance that Lindholm would just be that player moving forward.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

If maintains and close, almost like those words are important. Just how in 18/19 when Lindholm broke out, you wouldn't have paid a premium to get a more established 1st line center when there was a solid chance that Lindholm would just be that player moving forward.
18/19 i still would have traded Lindholm for MacKinnon/Barkov so I really dont understand your argument at all

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah and nobody pays a premium for a guy that just started breaking out. I understand why you don't want to trade him though

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I am so sick of seeing Tkachuk to St louis threads, either one. They are good players but my god the fascination within our fanbase is just silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad