Confirmed Trade: [CGY/OTT] Curtis Lazar and Mike Kostka for Jyrki Jokipakka and a 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It will take quite a few years for a real winner to be determined. Not thrilled with the price, but as long as the 2nd is this year I'm more okay with it.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Lazar missed training camp with mono, lost a bunch of weight, then got hurt and missed even more time. He was so far behind the 8-ball when he got back on the ice, and when he did it was in the AHL so he lost even more time learning the system from Guy Boucher.

This season was always going to be a write off for him. Don't read too much into his stats this year. He'll be a lot better next year.

Obviously a bit of a risk giving up a 2nd, but I'm pretty sure he'll be a good player for the Flames.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lazar is one of, if not, the worst forwards in the NHL. hell be out of the league pretty soon and basically living on draft hype alone. Cant believe friggin Dorion, the guy friggin Benning fleeced, found a sucker to give up a 2nd for Lazar

Imagine being the GM that gets fleeced by the GM all the other GMs fleece

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lazar is one of, if not, the worst forwards in the NHL. hell be out of the league pretty soon and basically living on draft hype alone. Cant believe friggin Dorion, the guy friggin Benning fleeced, found a sucker to give up a 2nd for Lazar

Imagine being the GM that gets fleeced by the GM all the other GMs fleece

If only these three GM's had your insight, these teams would be far better off.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Calgary will "win" this trade, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong move. People on this board are out of whack with their evaluations of Lazar. Calgary didn't steal a future top 6 player or anything, but with all that has happened to him, this year was a write off. He should develop into a solid third line player which for a 2nd in a "terrible" draft and a player who was waived isn't bad value.

Basically, the odds of him getting back to where he was last year and then building on that are greater than the odds of a player selected in the second round bringing more to the Flames than Lazar. Good risk/reward proposition for him.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Why'd they jump a supposed scrub right from junior to the NHL?

Screams bad development. They must think they can improve on it.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Definitely wanted no part of Lazar BUT:

- weak draft so might as well take a chance on him
- getting rid of Jokipakka is a HUGE win for the Flames
- if Lazar returns to his rookie season form, then I'll be happy
- the best part of this trade: it gives us a good reason to expose Brouwer

Monahan
Gaudreau
Backlund
Frolik
Bennett
Ferland
Lazar

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Not really thrilled with this as a Flames fan. I'm not sure where Lazar would fit.

Next year the Flames should have Ferland, Frolik and Brouwer at RW. There isn't much behind them in the minors though and I guess Lazar provides some insurance longer term...

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'll be honest never liked the Lazar pick, but to those saying Calgary got fleeced, Lazar still has the potential to be a rock on Calgarys third line for many, many years that is worth a second rounder.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
I don't think we should say Calgary has won yet. Look at the Shinkaruk trade with Granlund. I thought we won it but Granlund is doing quite well in Vancouver. Theres still time for Shink to develop though and same goes for Lazar.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
It's not luck, they wouldn't have traded a 2nd in a strong draft year, Burkie even said earlier today how a 2nd is like a 3rd this year.

If you round up, a 2nd is actually really a 4th. They are like nickels, not even worth the effort to bend over and pick up off the street.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Its a 2nd in a weak draft year and we need right-handed shots. I actually like this trade for the Flames.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Definitely wanted no part of Lazar BUT:

- weak draft so might as well take a chance on him
- getting rid of Jokipakka is a HUGE win for the Flames
- if Lazar returns to his rookie season form, then I'll be happy
- the best part of this trade: it gives us a good reason to expose Brouwer

Monahan
Gaudreau
Backlund
Frolik
Bennett
Ferland
Lazar

Oh, Jokipakka sucks?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Any flames fans with insights on Jopikipokakkpi?

If you don't like spelling the name Dallas called him "Kevin"
He's big his skating is fine at the NHL level and if he could play a simple game he'd be a fine bottom 3 D instead of a #7 but there's still time for him to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad