Proposal: Cgy - LAK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
LA hasn't given up on Vilardi yet. He shows a lot of potential, but it's just frustrating. LA gives up a center with potential for a second pairing SAH defenseman. I like it, but CAL is gonna have to add here. I don't know what they could add, maybe Valimaki + Tanev for Vilardi. I really don't know if Tanev is on the block or what CAL could offer.

Ledge And Dairy

LA hasn't given up on Vilardi yet. He shows a lot of potential, but it's just frustrating. LA gives up a center with potential for a second pairing SAH defenseman. I like it, but CAL is gonna have to add here. I don't know what they could add, maybe Valimaki + Tanev for Vilardi. I really don't know if Tanev is on the block or what CAL could offer.
You say this like Valimaki doesn't still have excellent potential to be a #1, less likely at this point but 100% still there.

Tanev is worth so much more than Vilardi and most definitely not at all available. Calgary is competing

Reactions: Nanuuk

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think position wise, this is worse for Calgary. We have far stronger forward prospects moving forward than D. Let's give it time before making this type of move

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
You say this like Valimaki doesn't still have excellent potential to be a #1, less likely at this point but 100% still there.

Tanev is worth so much more than Vilardi and most definitely not at all available. Calgary is competing
I guess there's potential, but getting 16 min a night isn't a top pairing D.

Ledge And Dairy

I guess there's potential, but getting 16 min a night isn't a top pairing D.
What a weird take. Really shows you just did a quick google search here and don't actually know anything about Valimaki. Would you like me to point out how Vilardi's 12.5 minutes a night doesn't really scream top 6 center to me? But I guess there's potential.

Valimaki is currently being benched for Zadorov and has been since game 8. Despite Zadorov constantly making really boneheaded mistakes Valimaki is still the one being sidelined.

On average defense take longer to develop than forwards so it's also reasonable to think that Valimaki has a higher ceiling at this point than Vilardi. If you really think that the difference between Valimaki and Vilardi is this guy right below then there is really nothing left to discuss with you since you are clearly extremely homer.
E2QXYLwWYAI13S-

This trade is a 1 for 1, maybe one of the 2 teams adds a 5th or 6th at most

Ledge And Dairy

I think position wise, this is worse for Calgary. We have far stronger forward prospects moving forward than D. Let's give it time before making this type of move
I think that's kinda 50/50 between Connor Mackey, Jeremie Poirier, and Yan Kuznetsov Calgary is pretty deep at LD. I do think Calgary's pretty solid at forward too but Pelletier is the only one I can see being called up this year and having a potential top 9 impact

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
I think that's kinda 50/50 between Connor Mackey, Jeremie Poirier, and Yan Kuznetsov Calgary is pretty deep at LD. I do think Calgary's pretty solid at forward too but Pelletier is the only one I can see being called up this year and having a potential top 9 impact
I think most people would say that the Flames top 3 prospects are Zary, Pelletier and Coronato, and that 4th is probably Wolf.
The defense prospects are definitely a little weaker than the forwards at the top end

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
How many first round picks from LA go Calgary's way? No way does Calgary do Tanev for Vilardi let alone adding Valimaki. Tanev is top 5 defensive dmen in the league.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Valimaki's value is at an all time low. He's getting treated the same as Kylington was last year. I say we wait and hope he responds the same way as Kylington did.

He's getting outplayed by Kylington and Zadorov on the bottom pairing has been excellent. Injuries will happen and unlikely we resign Zadorov so lets wait and see.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I agree with you on that. I actually think right now our 3rd best LHD is Mackey. He just doesn't require waivers so he's getting the shaft. Valimaki needs a new situation on a losing team. He has upside, but needs 200 games to get a cup full of defensive awareness. Zadorov isn't very good and I'm not sure he should be playing ahead of Valimaki, but I am sure Mackey should be playing ahead of both. Pelletier should get some games along with Ruzicka and Phillips this year IMO. We have a very vanilla bottom 4 or 5 forwards.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Valimaki's value is at an all time low. He's getting treated the same as Kylington was last year. I say we wait and hope he responds the same way as Kylington did.

He's getting outplayed by Kylington and Zadorov on the bottom pairing has been excellent. Injuries will happen and unlikely we resign Zadorov so lets wait and see.
I don't see the upside with Valimaki Kylington has. I know people regarded him more highly, but that was because people somehow value pedigree more than actual talent. Kylington skates at another level than almost any defenseman in the league. It allows him to make up for his risky plays with pure pace. Valimaki makes worse mistakes without the pace to make up for them.

Reactions: kinghock

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't see the upside with Valimaki Kylington has. I know people regarded him more highly, but that was because people somehow value pedigree more than actual talent. Kylington skates at another level than almost any defenseman in the league. It allows him to make up for his risky plays with pure pace. Valimaki makes worse mistakes without the pace to make up for them.

Can you describe Valimakis skating then?
It's not elite but above average for his size?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It is honestly dumb Valimaki isn't playing. It is hard to question Sutter when you look at Kylington, but he is trying to teach about hockey life but he honestly needs to be playing.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Can you describe Valimakis skating then?
It's not elite but above average for his size?
If 50 is average for NHL defensemen he is a 70 skating forward and a 40 skating backward. I know the Flames power skating instructor is working a lot with him on his backward skating. Gap control has been in issue, because he isn't a great backward skater and has little defensive awareness. He is a good skater moving forward and joining the rush.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It is honestly dumb Valimaki isn't playing. It is hard to question Sutter when you look at Kylington, but he is trying to teach about hockey life but he honestly needs to be playing.
I think it's dumb Mackey isn't playing. Flip a coin with Zadorov and Valimaki. Neither has been great. Mackey has clearly been better than both.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If 50 is average for NHL defensemen he is a 70 skating forward and a 40 skating backward. I know the Flames power skating instructor is working a lot with him on his backward skating. Gap control has been in issue, because he isn't a great backward skater and has little defensive awareness. He is a good skater moving forward and joining the rush.

Appreciate it, thank you!!
Cheers!

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Considering Treliving publicly stated that a large part of why he didnt trade for Mark Stone was because he was refusing to include Valimaki, I dont think hes looking to sell low on him now.

Pointless thread honestly, other than to kill time at work (im here for it lol).

Reactions: YP44

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not sure if either organization would be ready to give up on these guys but it does make some sense needs wise. Juuso has had some tough injury luck so far which has set him back but there's still a ton of upside. Like Vilardi in that sense where they're both behind where they should be.

Just not sure Vilardi has the skating to be an effective C in the NHL. I don't think I'd do this as Valimaki's upside is still an all around top 4 D but he certainly is lacking polish at this point. Hope he gets back in at some point on this road trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad