Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Ryan Lomberg signs with the Flames (2 years, $2M AAV)

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think that, all things being equal, Lomberg is a guy the Panthers could have paid $2m to for a year or two if the team had the cap space. Unfortunately, even with Forsling, Kulikov and Reinhart taking very team friendly deals, the team still couldn't sign anyone for more than league minimum.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lomby was great for us, but he's overpaid at 2M. We got Greer to do more or less the same job at 800k. Not as good a fighter, but we're saving 1.2M for a team that desperately needs the cap. You can't be a contender in this league and pay guys like Lomberg 2M.
Yeah he's overpaid for sure. No debate about it for anyone reasonable. I wouldn't have signed him for that, but I'm not upset about it. We have 20M in cap space and are 5 years minimum away from being a contender. I just think we had enough leadership/culture guys, but I'm wondering if perhaps Conroy knows he's trading some of that Backlund, Coleman, Kadri, Andersson, Weegar group. He did well enough at the draft and the non Zadorov trades that I've got some faith in his plan and ability to get Murray Edwards in his lane.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah he's overpaid for sure. No debate about it for anyone reasonable. I wouldn't have signed him for that, but I'm not upset about it. We have 20M in cap space and are 5 years minimum away from being a contender. I just think we had enough leadership/culture guys, but I'm wondering if perhaps Conroy knows he's trading some of that Backlund, Coleman, Kadri, Andersson, Weegar group. He did well enough at the draft and the non Zadorov trades that I've got some faith in his plan and ability to get Murray Edwards in his lane.
If I were Conroy I would definitely trade Kadri, Andersson and Coleman at some point. Weegar is a solid piece to have to stabilize things on the backend for a young up and coming team. Backlund is the captain and necessary leadership, and you'll never get full value for him.. I also understand the reasoning, if you're gonna be bad, you at least have to be entertaining. The Panthers went through this in the bash brother days. We had Worrell, Laus, Weimer, Ference, and a bunch of other face punchers on the team all at the same time. We were bad, but we were never pushed around

Reactions: IdleTraveller

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Lomby was great for us, but he's overpaid at 2M. We got Greer to do more or less the same job at 800k. Not as good a fighter, but we're saving 1.2M for a team that desperately needs the cap. You can't be a contender in this league and pay guys like Lomberg 2M.
Greer is a better fighter than Lomberg

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Guys like Lomberg are very important, having a 4th line that doesn't get caved in and provides energy is huge.
I mean its all relative.

After 1st line forwards, 2nd line forwards, 3rd line forwards, 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairing D-men, and starting goalie, 4th line forward is arguably the next most important position on a team.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I mean its all relative.

After 1st line forwards, 2nd line forwards, 3rd line forwards, 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairing D-men, and starting goalie, 4th line forward is arguably the next most important position on a team.
Don't forget backup goalies. They've become more important in recent years.

Reactions: Bank Shot

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Greer is a 4th line energy player who doesn't hurt you and can put up the occasional goal. He is not a tough guy, or a good fighter.

Lomberg is a fighter, and more of a rat. He is decent defensively and knows when to pick his spots so he doesn't hurt the team, but he is more exuberant and more of a presence. Greer experessed interest in staying, but the Flames didn't re-sign him. I find it hard to disagree - he doesn't really fit a spot. On a contendting team with a hole for a solid energy guy that doesn't hurt you? He fits. On a team with a surprising amount of depth without much real toughness and requiring more leadership? Lomberg is a better fit.

Pospisil can really use a guy like Lomberg who can help teach him to pick his spots a bit better, and maybe protect the kid too. Klapka might be in the lineup too. I can only imagine the fits a line of Lomberg - Pospisil - Klapka would create for opposing teams.

Rebuilding teams need character guys. They are underrated. I am sure that Florida would have loved to re-sign Lomberg back because guys like Lomberg help keep a contender loose, but contending teams can't match those contracts and need to recylcle through the bargain bin on the 4th line players. Not to say that Greer is bad - he is good in his own right, just cheaper right now.

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024
London, UK
I'm actually more upset to be losing Lomby than I am a lot of the other guys we've had to let go - partly because I was really really hoping we could keep him. This could be blind fan love speaking obviously but I do think that character/energy guys are really under-rated. I mean - that clip of him jumping around, laughing and smiling just before game 7: "Together forever after this one!"... I can't believe that that did not help the team relax and get back to their game. Love him.

Hey, this is all about entertainment in the end and whatever you can say about Lomby, he's definitely entertaining. I know Calgary will look after and appreciate him, and good for him for getting his payday.

Reactions: Khrox and 5 Hole

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
It definitely sucks that we couldn’t keep him. It’s a 2-way street, he went for the money. That extra million counts.

Ad

Ad

Ad