Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Erik Gudbranson signs with the Flames (1 year, $1.95M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
By almost any measure, he's not very good.

Intangibles are his best asset, a stand up guy who will protect his teammates and provide gritty leadership. Otherwise he's very borderline as an NHL dman.

The intangibles keep getting him jobs, but the lack of talent prevents him from being kept around very long

Except his intangibles are fake. He likes to talk a big game off the ice but rarely backs his words up on the ice. At least that was the case in Vancouver.

No idea how he’s still in the NHL and really no idea how he’s making more than league minimum.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Well with adding Gudbranson to Lucic and Zadorov one thing is clear. Teams won’t be pushing the Flames around.

I hope Holland sends out game film of Kassian in a Canucks jersey to Treliving. He’s the missing piece for them.

Lucic - Richardson - Kassian

Zadorov - Gudbranson

Cloutier

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I get taking a flyer on Gudbranson for a one year deal at somewhere around the league minimum. But $1.95m? Is that a misprint?

Dramatic overpayment for a guy who's now on his 7th NHL team, and hasn't even hit 30 yet. His agent gets the good housekeeping seal of approval for negotiating this deal.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
how freaken slow can the Flames make their D...:thumbd::help:
Is Gudbranson slow now?
I remember him having a lot of problems, but mobility was not one of them.
Big, hulking defenseman who handles the puck like a grenade and just isn't that reliable on defense, but his skating was fine somebody his size.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well with adding Gudbranson to Lucic and Zadorov one thing is clear. Teams won’t be pushing the Flames around.

I hope Holland sends out game film of Kassian in a Canucks jersey to Treliving. He’s the missing piece for them.

Lucic - Richardson - Kassian

Zadorov - Gudbranson

Cloutier

That's true. But why push aside lumps of crap when you could just walk around them?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Incredible how many chances this guy gets.
Meh...he's huge and physical and right-handed. If your team is small and/or soft, I can see why GMs would go after him. (But Caglary is neither, so I don't understand this). You could do worse on your bottom pair.

This also makes me think that Gudbranson always chases the money. He must know that guys like him can always get 50% more than they're worth in UFA.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Is Gudbranson slow now?
I remember him having a lot of problems, but mobility was not one of them.
Big, hulking defenseman who handles the puck like a grenade and just isn't that reliable on defense, but his skating was fine somebody his size.
Can you consider skating to be fine when you get walked like a traffic cone on a nightly basis? Genuine question..

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Oh wow, I guess he was holding out for some good $$$.

I thought from his Nashville tour after the trade deadline, it was really clear he was a valid NHL bottom-pair D. Whatever flak he has gotten over the years due to not living up to his draft spot or salary, ok, I get that, but he definitely looked like a solid 3rd-pair physical D to me. We didn't play him EVERY night, and we experimented a bit with where he'd best fit in the lineup. I wouldn't say he was necessarily better than, say, Matt Benning who we were paying $1M.

So I thought, hey, this guy SHOULD have gotten a contract somewhere. And it seemed a little weird that maybe he'd be down to a PTO. But I never really imagined anybody would still pay $1.95M for him. He's a legitimate NHL player, though, whatever the naysayers who are stuck on his draft history or past higher salaries will say.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Gudbranson must be the nicest guy in the world to not only keep getting signed but being paid a decent price along with it.

It certainly isn't his hockey skills they're impressed by. :laugh:

pomx

May 15, 2014
He’s pretty much going to be the goon and throw fists to stand up for lil bebe jonny

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Except his intangibles are fake. He likes to talk a big game off the ice but rarely backs his words up on the ice. At least that was the case in Vancouver.

No idea how he’s still in the NHL and really no idea how he’s making more than league minimum.

I can't really speak to his time in Vancouver but I don't think that's a fair description of Gudbranson today. He's consistently physical, stands up for himself and his teammates.

By intangibles I wasn't just speaking about toughness though, he's also known for being great in the room, in the community etc. A solid pro and a leader who just happens to be a marginal player.

Reactions: Yemeth

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He's a legitimate NHL player, though, whatever the naysayers who are stuck on his draft history or past higher salaries will say.

his biggest improvement seems to be humility. on the canucks he was trying to lead his pairing and generally be a top 4 big deal with disastrous results. he seems better playing bottom six minutes against lesser opposition and staying within himself. i think he can even play more minutes with a strong partner that is anticipating and covering his dzone mistakes.

i feel for the guy. on the canucks he just could not process the game fast enough and constantly ended up caught or beaten in noman's land and hanging his d partner out with him. "find eric" on goal replays was a sobering exercise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad