CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Another Gregor beauty:

Does he realize that Ford has only played approximately 10-11 quarters out of the 28 quarters he's referencing. I grant that the first game vs. Saskatchewan provided the spark, but basically he's completely marginalizing the efforts of the RBs and the Oline by saying it's all Ford's doing.

PS. Also ignores that the first game the running game broke out was also the debut of Rankin.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Another Gregor beauty:

Does he realize that Ford has only played approximately 10-11 quarters out of the 28 quarters he's referencing. I grant that the first game vs. Saskatchewan provided the spark, but basically he's completely marginalizing the efforts of the RBs and the Oline by saying it's all Ford's doing.

PS. Also ignores that the first game the running game broke out was also the debut of Rankin.

I am pretty certain he does this so that he can rant and rave about it and bait people into calling him dumb. Creates clicks/conversation.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Fair enough. I'm still pissed at him being held out early in the year. If we're talking about development, him getting zero snaps this season under Jones did not help lol.
Yes, that was terrible, and ultimately, justifiably, cost Jones his job. I just hope his stupid decisions like that one, aren't enough to cost us a playoff spot, which I truly believe we are capable of, and would be more than capable of, had he not put the team in such a bad spot.

Another Gregor beauty:

Gregor should just STFU as soon as possible. He's digging a stupid hole by providing information that is out of whack and easily broken apart.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yes, that was terrible, and ultimately, justifiably, cost Jones his job. I just hope his stupid decisions like that one, aren't enough to cost us a playoff spot, which I truly believe we are capable of, and would be more than capable of, had he not put the team in such a bad spot.

Gregor should just STFU as soon as possible. He's digging a stupid hole by providing information that is out of whack and easily broken apart.
Gregor can't make an argument without insulting someone else for their opinion.

Reactions: bone and Sanchez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ford may or may not be the answer long term, but we know for sure that MBT is not, so I'd start Ford again, but with a shorter leash. At some point the team has to show some sort of confidence in the player, something they just refuse to do. Give him the same opportunity that they've given the last few QB's who have ranged from awful to mediocre.
Ford might be better working in a tandem role where MBT starts and he comes off the bench if he’s struggling to provide a spark for the offence. We’ve seen teams do this in the cfl forever. Ricky Ray and Jason Maas did that here with success for a couple years. I think this would work better with MBT as the starter because I don’t think he’s capable of providing a spark coming off the bench but Ford can bring something very different in a game where the offence is getting stale.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gregor can't make an argument without insulting someone else for their opinion.
That's really the only part that frustrates me with him sometimes. I don't mind that he brings in alternative opinions, and frankly it's his job to create engagement so he's good at that. But I really wish he'd drop the smarter than everyone else who isn't on TV or the radio routine.

(Granted sometimes people deserve to be called stupid for their opinions).

Ford might be better working in a tandem role where MBT starts and he comes off the bench if he’s struggling to provide a spark for the offence. We’ve seen teams do this in the cfl forever. Ricky Ray and Jason Maas did that here with success for a couple years. I think this would work better with MBT as the starter because I don’t think he’s capable of providing a spark coming off the bench but Ford can bring something very different in a game where the offence is getting stale.

A lot of people tend to forget that for the 2005 season fans were pissed at DM all year because Ricky wasn't nearly as good as he was before the NFL stint and DM literally refused to give Maas a single snap until Game 18 despite Maas having an amazing 2004 season while Ricky was down south. Only in the playoffs when games were very much in danger of being lost, did DM finally pull the swap with amazing results in back to back games.

Reactions: Barrsy

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
The former coach and current coach wanted that from Ford, and he doesn't want to be a package QB. He has had some times as a starter, it would be great if they could afford to let him start the rest of the way to get a good evaluation but they have a chance at being in the playoffs. I have watched all the games or all of Ford's snaps but he doesn't appear that aware. He is too casual, which was easy to get away with in college, but this is a league of professionals and grown adults.

I think the new owner wants to be in the playoffs, he knows that the CFL doesn't have to have teams taking 5 years to rebuild. And Ford hasn't proven he is going to give them the best chance to win yet. I hope he embraces this chance to come off the bench when they need a change up.

Reactions: joestevens29

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
That's really the only part that frustrates me with him sometimes. I don't mind that he brings in alternative opinions, and frankly it's his job to create engagement so he's good at that. But I really wish he'd drop the smarter than everyone else who isn't on TV or the radio routine.

(Granted sometimes people deserve to be called stupid for their opinions).

A lot of people tend to forget that for the 2005 season fans were pissed at DM all year because Ricky wasn't nearly as good as he was before the NFL stint and DM literally refused to give Maas a single snap until Game 18 despite Maas having an amazing 2004 season while Ricky was down south. Only in the playoffs when games were very much in danger of being lost, did DM finally pull the swap with amazing results in back to back games.
That time with DM was so frustrating, a coach learning on the job. Was it the Western final where Ray was sucking and they finally put in Maas to save the game. As you say, Ray didn't have a good return from the CFL, but when he was traded by the babysitter toucher, he was an MVP again.

Reactions: bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean that discussion is impossible to have since Ford has literally had only 63 passing attempts all season.

We talk about giving some players some "runway" to prove they belong, but this season Ford hasn't been given a runway, he hasn't even been given a driveway. Injuries or not.
Ford would have had much more action, but in fairness everytime the team hands him the ball he gets injured missing several games due to injury. This has occurred every season. Ford also not having as many passes as the RB's have been lighting it up in some of the games he's been in.

I don't see this "the Elks are refusing to play Ford" that some are seeing.

That Ford even got the most recent start is runway is it not? He played terribly, every aspect. He looked not ready to start, mind didn't seem to be in the moment, was missing reads, not getting ball to players wide open, own zone fumble, own zone pick etc.

Its up to the player, and nobody else, to be ready for the starts you get.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That time with DM was so frustrating, a coach learning on the job. Was it the Western final where Ray was sucking and they finally put in Maas to save the game. As you say, Ray didn't have a good return from the CFL, but when he was traded by the babysitter toucher, he was an MVP again.
If BC were smart they'd be using Ray's return and using it to boost Rourke's confidence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Also where does he think an interim coach reporting to an interim GM has the flexibilty to worry more about next year than next week.

I agree with his logic that long term Ford starting may be the better move with an eye to next season and beyond, but neither Gregor or my jobs are on the line based on the actual result from Friday's game.

And if any player in that room thought JJ was prioritizing next year over next week when the team is still in the hunt, they would quit on him and wouldn't want to come back next year anyways.
Since when do coaches not think primarily of the "now".? In the world of coaching its all you got,. Coaches aren't often held onto long enough to have futures as their landing point, and especially in the CFL where relationships between teams, coaches players is seldom static and unchanging. More often its a turnstile.

Why does MBT get such short shrift here or in the stands? Kind of a weird look for Elks fans. He's a solid passer, reads blitz, gets ball away very fast for quick hits and screens, makes few mistakes, protects ball well, makes handoffs well. MBT is the kind of QB that moves the sticks. Put a solid team around him and the wins pile up. The Elks started the season with a brand new D, several changes, and a lot of gelling that needed to occur. But primarily only the JJ stats matter now because thats the team we are now, play calling that is occurring now, coaching occurring now. I've been pleased with the team under JJ, even very pleased. Been some very good moments and a lot of them with MBT as QB.

I'll say as well that Rourke and Kelly were also thought to be the futures QB's and you never know how thats going to turn out. Maybe if you start them to much more interest from NFL, or they get hurt, or have confidence destroying games etc. Bringing young QB's up slow used to be a thing. Somebody as talented as Warren Moon was brought in slow, by this very org, and was the most talented QB to ever play in this league.

Man I can't imagine the hubris if the internet and couch commentary existed in Warren Moon's time here. "why they playing that slow fool Wilkie" ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Yeah it was. frustrating to watch That Grey Cup always felt like the team winning in spite of him as opposed to because of him.

The Ray/Maas swap happened in both the Western Semi-Final and again in the Western Final. Ricky I believe played every down of the Grey Cup game which was a classic that went into OT.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Another Gregor beauty:

I see Rankin running and some tears of joy. Man oh man that guy plays like an Eskimo. He's fiercer than your average Elk. Leake after a shaky start here got rolling as well. But the telecast makes it sound like all the credit for Rankin and Leake should go to Ford being such a factor in the RPO offense. Ignoring that Ford has 97 yds rushing all season and had zero yds rushing in last game where Rankin was a legit threat for a 200yd rushing game.

The Elks had considerable lineup turmoil to start season. Wasn't a very set lineup and needed time. Also that 4 of the games were decided by a FG and with Bede missing several FG's in those games. Reality is the 0-7 start should not have been that bad. With even a little fortune the team has a few W's going through that stretch. Not like the club was getting blown out.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Since when do coaches not think primarily of the "now".? In the world of coaching its all you got,. Coaches aren't often held onto long enough to have futures as their landing point, and especially in the CFL where relationships between teams, coaches players is seldom static and unchanging. More often its a turnstile.

Why does MBT get such short shrift here or in the stands? Kind of a weird look for Elks fans. He's a solid passer, reads blitz, gets ball away very fast for quick hits and screens, makes few mistakes, protects ball well, makes handoffs well. MBT is the kind of QB that moves the sticks. Put a solid team around him and the wins pile up. The Elks started the season with a brand new D, several changes, and a lot of gelling that needed to occur. But primarily only the JJ stats matter now because thats the team we are now, play calling that is occurring now, coaching occurring now. I've been pleased with the team under JJ, even very pleased. Been some very good moments and a lot of them with MBT as QB.

I'll say as well that Rourke and Kelly were also thought to be the futures QB's and you never know how thats going to turn out. Maybe if you start them to much more interest from NFL, or they get hurt, or have confidence destroying games etc. Bringing young QB's up slow used to be a thing. Somebody as talented as Warren Moon was brought in slow, by this very org, and was the most talented QB to ever play in this league.

Man I can't imagine the hubris if the internet and couch commentary existed in Warren Moon's time here. "why they playing that slow fool Wilkie" ;)

The highlighted part I suspect is a big reason in modern day sports it's difficult for a person to be successful in a dual role as GM and Head Coach as the GM always needs to be looking further ahead and coach needs to be focussed on the next game.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Some off field comments and catching up. I'm thrilled with the new ownership and him and his wife coming out to games and being old fans now owning the team, you can feel the love for it. Getting a kick out of them. Very positive start taking over the club and the team seems to feel whats going on and how important this is. To that degree its touching how many players on this team, so many, want some success so badly for the ownership, for the fans, for the future of the org etc. Not since Mike Reilly times have I seen this kind of die for the club commitment. I'm seeing it on spades on all sides of he balll. Sure people have commented on it but the team is worth watching again and several favorites are out there.

Been years as well since we've seen this kind of crew of linebackers. Wowsa. Overall a very good D getting better.

Some loose ends need to be tied up. There was some glitch in sales of tickets to Bombers game. None of the reduced cost games were showing. The only discounted ticket prices showing were for students. For everything else click on a seat and it was 40some bucks minimum, not the 20some that had been promoted in every other game. This possibly impacted attendance as well. How many people are going to pay 45-100bucks to see CFL. Not many. Turns out as well the College promotion is one big fail. Did they get any students out to the game even at Golden Bears pricing? Nah.

I've called the team office several times to bring back paper ticket sales of Family Football Huddle either at Save on or Sobeys or anywhere. I've mentioned at this point after other data breaches I refuse to use Ticketmaster and other options should be available. The club used to have sports clubs also sell tickets. that has discontinued as well. I would be going to games right now if other options were available for ticketing.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yeah it was. frustrating to watch That Grey Cup always felt like the team winning in spite of him as opposed to because of him.

The Ray/Maas swap happened in both the Western Semi-Final and again in the Western Final. Ricky I believe played every down of the Grey Cup game which was a classic that went into OT.

Ray obviously stumbled hard in the lead up to the big game but he played absolutely out of his mind in the final. Clear Grey Cup MVP.

Weird to think about in hindsight.

Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad