CFL 2024

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It would be funny if the team happened to turn it around right around the name change.

What might be funnier is if they the team will change the name next year and the team went on crazy run getting to the Grey Cup as the Elks. Confusion abound.

I'm hoping the first question anyone asks Thompson is the most important one.

"WILL THE TEAM BE RETURNING TO YELLOW NUMBERS ON THE HOME JERSEY NEXT YEAR".

The real reason for the curse.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You would have had the entire BoD confronting you about your lack of social awokeness, er I mean awareness.

:)
Not sure how they would construe that as lack of social anything since it's the teams current chant. Hey, just trying to help everyone "fit in" to the new name and culture. Figured who better than the spineless team president to show us how it's done.

Looking forward to the shocked Pikachu face when changing the name doesn't magically make the team better.
It won't . There obviously needs to be other changes. But I bet you it spurs an increase in attendance.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Who said LT says that the name change is the biggest issue? Personally I’d first focus on getting Wad installed as president

It's gonna be the default response for anyone that doesn't think the name should change again, just like the default of "anyone that thinks the reason nobody goes to the games is the name is stupid" whenever the name was brought up in association with attendance issues.

They don't like to acknowledge that the name doesn't have to be THE singular reason for the "Elks" ills and would be simply wrong to suggest that it has had no material impact whatsoever. It's a mechanism to dismiss, then redirect to their preferred source of the problem.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So there’s no salary cap then? You just need to call it marketing money when you want to exceed the cap? I wish they would have spent some of that marketing money on a coaching staff last year.

Jones salary should definitely count as marketing money. A lesson for anyone in football of exactly what not to do in order to have a good team. Greatest marketing lesson ever.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
What happened to the expansion to Moncton, Nova Scotia ?? Did that fall through ? Correct me if I'm wrong but did they not build a stadium for the new team?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Name change is almost assured. Might not be back to Eskimos (feels like owner is attached though) but it is on the table, season ticket holders past and present, as well as alumni input will be highly valued. It’s not just about a name it’s about an identity which seems to have been painted over. Regardless of what the name changes to the Eskimo history will be brought back and celebrated instead of tucked away at the back of the closet like something to be ashamed of.

Organization will be appropriately funded and good business and football people will be in place. Winning and fan experience paramount. Good value, no nickel and diming fans, get all the people you’ve lost back in the building.

Could eventually see a deal between ownership and the city around CW. Great venue but could use some tweaks, has been under-utilized and “embarrassingly” operated by COE.

Likely to be more community engagement, partnerships and charitable tie ins. New owners have been expanding their philanthropy through their family foundation including a lot with the Stollery. The organizations brand is pretty toxic right now though and there’s not a lot of benefit to being associated with it.

Don’t expect much for early announcements but I think overall Eskimo fans are going to be very happy with the new private ownership. Larry Thompson is a die hard and he wants this team returned to its forrmer glory, it’s the whole reason he bought the team.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Here’s one for you, what the old buggers wanted in this case was a name change.

I think you missed the smiley face after my post. To my knowledge I haven’t said that changing the team name would by itself be a miraculous tonic to cure the attendance woes forever. That would just be silly. We all know that the product on the field is the number one thing that will affect attendance. Will a name change help? I think we are going to find out.

Reactions: brentashton

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I think you missed the smiley face after my post. To my knowledge I haven’t said that changing the team name would by itself be a miraculous tonic to cure the attendance woes forever. That would just be silly. We all know that the product on the field is the number one thing that will affect attendance. Will a name change help? I think we are going to find out.
My apologies then for missing that and misattributing that, my bad. I removed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad