CFL 2024

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Perfectly put my friend.
I couldnt agree with you more...you underscored something so critical for me personally.

The fact that they try so hard to pretend that the Eskimos (that amazing iconic franchise) didnt exist angers and disgusts me much much more than anything else...even the old whites guys comment.

That Eskimo team was a part of my life in Edmonton since my childhood. My friends as well.
Its revered and they trashed it. They distanced themselves from it like it was an embarrassment.
All that tradition is now tarnished and for what?
Absolutely disgusting.
They will never get another penny from me.
So even new ownership doesn’t change the calculus for you? I’m curious what the new owners might have to do to win someone like you back if it’s even possible. If they don”t change the name is there even a chance?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Everyone who even remotely still cares about the franchise should give the new ownership a chance. Look what's happening in BC.
Completely agree.

The answer to this debacle is not to seek extinction of the team. The answer is to start over with a new owner and some new attitudes. Get rid of the loser mentality and child like whining that we have seen both on and off the field.

Its is a myth that younger fans aren't interested in the CFL. When I look at the t.v. broadcasts around the league I see a lot of younger faces and if the league plays it right you can attract their friends to come next time. Change the game plan, change the outcome.

So the team folds and there is no more football in Edmonton? Come on guys, that's disaster.

Seeking revenge against those who have sold the club down the road (like idiot holier than thou mayors and prime ministers who've never had a job in the real world) by pouring some gas to the team isn't the solution.

You come back stronger and stick it in their faces. Like Kepley used to say, somebody is going to give up here but it won't be me.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Perfectly put my friend.
I couldnt agree with you more...you underscored something so critical for me personally.

The fact that they try so hard to pretend that the Eskimos (that amazing iconic franchise) didnt exist angers and disgusts me much much more than anything else...even the old whites guys comment.

That Eskimo team was a part of my life in Edmonton since my childhood. My friends as well.
Its revered and they trashed it. They distanced themselves from it like it was an embarrassment.
Absolutely disgusting.
I was all for changing the name but the way they have gone about it and treated the history and fans has been awful

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Completely agree.

The answer to this debacle is not to seek extinction of the team. The answer is to start over with a new owner and some new attitudes. Get rid of the loser mentality and child like whining that we have seen both on and off the field.

Its is a myth that younger fans aren't interested in the CFL. When I look at the t.v. broadcasts around the league I see a lot of younger faces and if the league plays it right you can attract their friends to come next time. Change the game plan, change the outcome.

So the team folds and there is no more football in Edmonton? Come on guys, that's disaster.

Seeking revenge against those who have sold the club down the road (like idiot holier than thou mayors and prime ministers who've never had a job in the real world) by pouring some gas to the team isn't the solution.

You come back stronger and stick it in their faces. Like Kepley used to say, somebody is going to give up here but it won't be me.
I too think all is not lost. I keep looking at the Riverhawks success , nobody cares about the team, the record or the players. Yet it’s become the place to go right now. People just want to be part of it.

The Elks, or whatever they are called are going to need to bust thier buts to bring all kinds of people in the door. Former season ticket holders should all be contacted, give them a great deal to come back, make it impossible to say no. Promotions, fun, etc needs to be the key for now, all while building back to becoming an actual football club. Minor league sports thrive in lots of spaces, who cares if the cfl is minor to the nfl, make it fun, give people value for their money, and they will show up. I think.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I too think all is not lost. I keep looking at the Riverhawks success , nobody cares about the team, the record or the players. Yet it’s become the place to go right now. People just want to be part of it.

The Elks, or whatever they are called are going to need to bust thier buts to bring all kinds of people in the door. Former season ticket holders should all be contacted, give them a great deal to come back, make it impossible to say no. Promotions, fun, etc needs to be the key for now, all while building back to becoming an actual football club. Minor league sports thrive in lots of spaces, who cares if the cfl is minor to the nfl, make it fun, give people value for their money, and they will show up. I think.
Fun and entertainment are the keys. Nobody likes losers and never ending soap operas.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hamilton about to choke away a 17 point lead to Arbuckle. You can't make this stuff up.

Narrow escape for the Cats. The Elks will be the last team to win a game for the second year in a row. After last night's loss, the only path left to the playoffs is jumping the Bombers and Stamps. They do play both of them three times, and they're only 2 wins off the pace if the Lions beat Calgary tomorrow, incredibly enough. Of course, the team would have to actually win some games prior to Labour Day to give this scenario any slim chance of playing out, so it probably won't matter anyway.
1721577741192.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I cant even watch the Grey Cup anymore. The lack of talent and the poor play is like watching bad high school football. Arena football players are better than what gravitates up to the bottom of the sludge barrel CFL. It is Tier 4 football where players cant tackle, cant run, cant catch, cant make consistent plays. Watching CFL is watching below minor league grade sports. That this has a $50 million dollar TV contract is the biggest joke in pro sports other than Gary Bettman's management of the NHL. Your 100% correct, without TSN this league folds tomorrow.
I watched most of yesterdays snorefest and there were at least 3-4 flat out dropped passes by receivers. Not sure how some of these guys can consider themselves professional at this level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Completely agree.

There are some younger fans in the league, no doubt. But as we all know, the younger crowd especially is much more sophisticated in their expectations and appreciation of technology. (let's be honest, most of us have those type of expectations too) When you can't even provide full and proper updates of games in progress, and even post game stats are a joke compared to other leagues, people start to look at you like bush league, and it's hard to grow that young crowd. There's only so much beer, pizza and warm summer nights that attract them and then they're gone. Randy Ambrosie has completely dropped the ball on this kind of stuff, despite his blathering.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

The Riverhawks is a good comparison.

The first thing the new owner needs to do is slash ticket prices. Like severely. Stop trying to make your money before the game starts. Make it during the game with merchandise , food, beer etc. Make it fun. That's the draw of the ball park.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So even new ownership doesn’t change the calculus for you? I’m curious what the new owners might have to do to win someone like you back if it’s even possible. If they don”t change the name is there even a chance?
New ownership with a realization that this franchise is nothing without its historic past.
Return the past to the present. Get rid of the ridiculous Elks moniker.
Make the franchise whole again. Return its honor. Apologize to the 'old white guys' that spent thousands of dollars over many years and actually cared about the team.
That might bring me back.

How can they even explain the 'old white guys' comment? Why on earth would a franchise (a business) make a statement like that and alienate what might well be the most important element of their fan base?
Only a team that is completely disconnected from its fans is that stupid. They dont deserve success.
That I guess sums up why I want to see this current version crash and burn. They just dont care about anything that should be important and valuable.
They have truned this team into a superficial fraud.
I am not going to fall for a veneer of superficiality (music, fun halftime shows...etc) laid over top of an obvious disconnect from anything meaningful.
A disconnect from what made this franchise great.
This team has nothing to do with the Eskimos except the team colors...the uniform and the EE logo.
That is nothing more than a superficial connection.
This team is a fraud and they deserve to fail spectacularily..

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It really is sad that the BOD has buggered things up so badly that former STH’s are at the point where they want the current team to just not exist anymore, to be wiped from history. You aren’t alone, many ex STH’s I talk to feel the same way. Probably the one thing I’m pissed at the most is that the BOD tried to pretend that the Eskimos never existed, just such an insult to fans and former players. The BOD has ruined the local football experience for thousands of former diehard fans. Just disgusting.

I find myself subconsciously hoping they fail for this very reason. It wouldn’t be right if they just get away with the way they disrespected everything about the franchise at every level.

Reactions: bellagiobob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Everyone who even remotely still cares about the franchise should give the new ownership a chance. Look what's happening in BC.
New ownership is only the first step back to potentially regaining their credibility.
They need to change the name back and then issue a heartfelt apology to (what might be) the most important demographic in their fan base.
Old white dudes....who have kids...who were born in this city. Kids which the old white dudes would bring to the games and have them become fans.
I still cant believe they said what they said. Just so flagrantly dumb.
Actually its more than dumb. Its hostile.
Hostility directed at a critical part of their fan base.

So not only are they embarrassed by the iconic Eskimo past...they are embarrassed by the most important element in their fan base.

Quite honesly I cant imagine why anyone would support this team at this point.
They dont deserve support.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

It’s crazy how the path to attracting fans is right in front of them but they refuse to do it. I’m not even a huge baseball guy but I have way more fun at Riverhawk games. It’s just a fun atmosphere. Cheapish tickets, massive silly baseball bat cups you can fill with anything, huge cheap hot dogs, great seats, sometimes access to the diamond after the game. It’s just a hoot.

Meanwhile the Elks ticket prices are absolutely ridiculous considering the product. I dropped close to 100 bucks for two tickets. Don’t worry though you can get a smooshed boiled hot dog and a small pop.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Perfectly put my friend.

Absolutely disgusting.
I feel the exact same way, I’ve loved every second of watching the organization crash and burn since the name change. They’ve closed off the entire upper bowl forcing everyone into the lower and even still when they have to show the stands on tv there’s entire sections nearly empty.

The only way I’d ever financially support that club again would be if they changed the name to Esks or Eskies and restore the teams history. Thats a fair compromise that would probably get you quite a few season ticket holders back.

But I think for many the ship has sailed and indifference has set in. The place in their minds and wallets the Eskimos used to occupy has been replaced with something else and for many of them I don’t think another name change or better performance brings them back to the stadium beyond the occasional game every few years because someone gave them free tickets and they had nothing better to do.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
New ownership is only the first step back to potentially regaining their credibility.
They need to change the name back and then issue a heartfelt apology to (what might be) the most important demographic in their fan base.
Old white dudes....who have kids...who were born in this city. Kids which the old white dudes would bring to the games and have them become fans.
I still cant believe they said what they said. Just so flagrantly dumb.
Actually its more than dumb. Its hostile.
Hostility directed at a critical part of their fan base.

So not only are they embarrassed by the iconic Eskimo past...they are embarrassed by the most important element in their fan base.

Quite honesly I cant imagine why anyone would support this team at this point.
They dont deserve support.
IIRC they did apologize for the comment. 3 years ago when it was made.

It was a dumb thing to say but all it meant was that they wanted to diversify their fanbase and attract new fans. Not that they hated old white men.

Get over it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Riverhawks is a good comparison.

The first thing the new owner needs to do is slash ticket prices. Like severely. Stop trying to make your money before the game starts. Make it during the game with merchandise , food, beer etc. Make it fun. That's the draw of the ball park.
People should look at their board incompetence as the root cause of this systemic fail - epic bad strategic decisions with hiring decisions; inflammatory comments to further alienate its core audience; reactive acquiesce to a major sponsor Belairdirect Insurance threat to muddle through a name change and rebrand adding more costs and alienated support (where is Belairdirect now?); overseeing an eroding, stodgy organization operations stuck in complacency while new cheap, energized and non stodgy alternatives sprung up for precious limited discretionary dollars.

Edmonton football team is a sleeping giant. Stabilize the shitty product first, reset under new ownership with no baggage, resources and fresh ideas to energize the sizzle around it, and personally I believe the fans will return. I've been watching it through the renewal in Vancouver and Edmonton is a much better football market imo.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
People should look at their board incompetence as the root cause of this systemic fail - epic bad strategic decisions with hiring decisions; inflammatory comments to further alienate its core audience; reactive acquiesce to a major sponsor Belairdirect Insurance threat to muddle through a name change and rebrand adding more costs and alienated support (where is Belairdirect now?); overseeing an eroding, stodgy organization operations stuck in complacency while new cheap, energized and non stodgy alternatives sprung up for precious limited discretionary dollars.

Edmonton football team is a sleeping giant. Stabilize the shitty product first, reset under new ownership with no baggage, resources and fresh ideas to energize the sizzle around it, and personally I believe the fans will return. I've been watching it through the renewal in Vancouver and Edmonton is a much better football market imo.
Agreed, hopefully the anger and apathy subside with new ownership. Some people may never be satisfied, but this is worth fighting for and I’m in their camp.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed, hopefully the anger and apathy subside with new ownership. Some people may never be satisfied, but this is worth fighting for and I’m in their camp.
I'm a Riders fan so not my fight. But a stable Edmonton team is a pillar requirement for a healthy CFL. Their fans will ultimate decide to return or not with a fresh start. But looking forward is the reality of life. And complacency & entitlement at all levels of strategic and operational levels for hard earned discretionary fan bucks won't cut it either. Adapt or die.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Completely agree.

I don’t want the team to fold, I want this chapter eradicated. Despite my ranting and current lack of support and enthusiasm for the team, I still love football and have a deep soft spot for my local team. But the Elks have never felt like my local team, they have been an embarrassment since day one. I don’t expect the Eskimos name to come back, but I would actually be quite surprised if a rebrand to the Esks isn’t done, which should have been the choice in the first place. To me the Elks name is associated with this BOD, and I would rather never be reminded of them again.

As for younger fans, I’m sure there are some. But clearly not in the numbers of the nature ofwhat is required to be sustainable. I guess I can only speak to my group of friends, say about 20 guys who either used to be STH’s or big fans. Pretty much all of us were taken to games by our dads, or weee dropped off into the Knothole Gang, and began our lifelong football passion that way. In conversations with the group over the years, despite attempts to bring our kids to games (all big sports fans), the same experience wasn’t replicated. A bunch of the kids were big CFL fans for awhile, but the allure of the NFL slowly weaned them off the CFL, in general the level of professionalism around the league has just continued in a downward trend. Maybe I’m just pining for the good old days, and I realize that is unrealistic at this point, but hopefully with new ownership at least a partial return of the team that the current BOD tried to hide will reappear.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Minor league baseball has always been about the fun of an afternoon at the old ballpark. Except for the diehards, the score of the game was always irrelevant. I can remember going to Trapper games, and having a blast, and honestly have no recollection if they won or lost any of the games I went to. It didn’t matter, that wasn’t the point of going to the games. With pro sports it’s a bit of a different animal, you still need to create an atmosphere that it is THE place you want to be at, but the team needs to be competitive and win more than they lose.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
New ownership with a realization that this franchise is nothing without its historic past.
Return the past to the present. Get rid of the ridiculous Elks moniker.
Make the franchise whole again. Return its honor. Apologize to the 'old white guys' that spent thousands of dollars over many years and actually cared about the team.
That might bring me back.

How can they even explain the 'old white guys' comment? Why on earth would a franchise (a business) make a statement like that and alienate what might well be the most important element of their fan base?
Only a team that is completely disconnected from its fans is that stupid. They dont deserve success.
That I guess sums up why I want to see this current version crash and burn. They just dont care about anything that should be important and valuable.
They have truned this team into a superficial fraud.
I am not going to fall for a veneer of superficiality (music, fun halftime shows...etc) laid over top of an obvious disconnect from anything meaningful.
A disconnect from what made this franchise great.
This team has nothing to do with the Eskimos except the team colors...the uniform and the EE logo.
That is nothing more than a superficial connection.
This team is a fraud and they deserve to fail spectacularily..
It was a dumb comment but it was really the latest in a series of blunders which predated the Elks. Well, I am going to leave it alone for now but people will miss the football team.

I don’t want the team to fold, I want this chapter eradicated. Despite my ranting and current lack of support and enthusiasm for the team, I still love football and have a deep soft spot for my local team. But the Elks have never felt like my local team, they have been an embarrassment since day one. I don’t expect the Eskimos name to come back, but I would actually be quite surprised if a rebrand to the Esks isn’t done, which should have been the choice in the first place. To me the Elks name is associated with this BOD, and I would rather never be reminded of them again.

As for younger fans, I’m sure there are some. But clearly not in the numbers of the nature ofwhat is required to be sustainable. I guess I can only speak to my group of friends, say about 20 guys who either used to be STH’s or big fans. Pretty much all of us were taken to games by our dads, or weee dropped off into the Knothole Gang, and began our lifelong football passion that way. In conversations with the group over the years, despite attempts to bring our kids to games (all big sports fans), the same experience wasn’t replicated. A bunch of the kids were big CFL fans for awhile, but the allure of the NFL slowly weaned them off the CFL, in general the level of professionalism around the league has just continued in a downward trend. Maybe I’m just pining for the good old days, and I realize that is unrealistic at this point, but hopefully with new ownership at least a partial return of the team that the current BOD tried to hide will reappear.
My Dad took me to games too. He was a big Jackie Parker fan.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
IIRC they did apologize for the comment. 3 years ago when it was made.

It was a dumb thing to say but all it meant was that they wanted to diversify their fanbase and attract new fans. Not that they hated old white men.

Get over it.
Then just say you want to diversify your fans… why take a blatant shot at the old white fans? Don’t try and imply it was some comment that came out wrong.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Minor league baseball has always been about the fun of an afternoon at the old ballpark. Except dor the diehards, the score of the game was always irrelevant. I can remember going to Trapper games, and having a blast, and honestly have no recollection if they won or lost any of the games I went to. It didn’t matter, that wasn’t the point of going to the games. With pro sports it’s a bit of a different animal, you still need to create an atmosphere that it is THE place you want to be at, but the team needs to be competitive and win more than they lose.
Yeah I agree, thye need to be a better team, but I think if you aren’t a complete dumpster fire then you can still draw fans who want the outing, but you gotta be priced right, and they are a dumpster fire with the wrong price point and that’s death.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad