CFL 2024

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think Elk fans will be cursing Jones’ name for a decade regardless of what happens to Tre. :)

And rightly so.

At this point anything short of a Grey Cup and the start of competitive ball for the rest of the decade featuring multiple home playoff games will see him as the worst GM in the history of the team and maybe the worst coach as well.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I’ll raise you a Pete Ketella. :)

One of the examples why I say just "maybe" for worst coach. But his stay wasn't long enough to be considered as bad as Jones tenure while also being GM.

PS. Stats don't lie. Worst stint as a head coach in franchise history when you add his 0-4 start to this. We're talking a .200 winning percentage. He'd have to win 24 straight games, just to get back to .500. A miracle rebound to 9-9 this year and 13-5 next year would still have him below .400.

1720651029708.png

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
One of the examples why I say just "maybe" for worst coach. But his stay wasn't long enough to be considered as bad as Jones tenure while also being GM.

PS. Stats don't lie. Worst stint as a head coach in franchise history when you add his 0-4 start to this. We're talking a .200 winning percentage. He'd have to win 24 straight games, just to get back to .500. A miracle rebound to 9-9 this year and 13-5 next year would still have him below .400.

View attachment 893970
Yup. Jones has to be winning the Daily Double, holding both roles. The issue with the salary management cap is really exposing him.

I don’t know of anyone watching the league that loves the management cap.

I guess it was done to save them from themselves but surely there were other ways to contain costs than handcuff owners this way. I think it was implemented when the league itself owners two teams so they were just belt tightening anywhere they could.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yup. Jones has to be winning the Daily Double, holding both roles. The issue with the salary management cap is really exposing him.

I guess it was done to save them from themselves but surely there were other ways to contain costs than handcuff owners this way. I think it was implemented when the league itself owners two teams so they were just belt tightening anywhere they could.
Sadly you could have almost stopped at the bolded. I've gone from a CFL maxi to someone who has watched 1/2 of one game this year, with no burning desire to flip the TV on. I used to be able to name you every single player on our team, and 90% of the guys on other teams. I'd be hard pressed to name a handful on each team now. Don't think it's just me either, as buddies I grew up with that were diehards are no longer watching much, if any games at this point. I've gone from a 99% CFL/1% NFL fan to the exact opposite. Still love football, can't wait for the NFL to start. Everything the CFL has done to turn me off has been self inflicted from their part. I've been waiting to be thrown a small bone, literally anything to get me interested again, and nothing has come.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

You’re a Rider fan. Wasn’t that cap brought in to reign in Jones or push him out while he was in Regina? Maybe I’m remembering it wrong but in addition to hiding players on the practice roster and avoiding the cap I thought he was also hiring more coaches than everyone else or paying them more. He was out of control when he was there. As I said, maybe I remember it wrong but I thought this started while he was with the Riders and he left not long after. The irony being he’s benefitting from it now.

Reactions: bellagiobob

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Sadly you could have almost stopped at the bolded. I've gone from a CFL maxi to someone who has watched 1/2 of one game this year, with no burning desire to flip the TV on. I used to be able to name you every single player on our team, and 90% of the guys on other teams. I'd be hard pressed to name a handful on each team now. Don't think it's just me either, as buddies I grew up with that were diehards are no longer watching much, if any games at this point. I've gone from a 99% CFL/1% NFL fan to the exact opposite. Still love football, can't wait for the NFL to start. Everything the CFL has done to turn me off has been self inflicted from their part. I've been waiting to be thrown a small bone, literally anything to get me interested again, and nothing has come.
Bob, your post is like looking in the mirror, for me. Well said.

And yet I’m in this thread because a part of me says find something about this league to pull you back in. It was so exciting for so many years.

Maybe I’m a fool for thinking that way.

Reactions: bellagiobob

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You’re a Rider fan. Wasn’t that cap brought in to reign in Jones or push him out while he was in Regina? Maybe I’m remembering it wrong but in addition to hiding players on the practice roster and avoiding the cap I thought he was also hiring more coaches than everyone else or paying them more. He was out of control when he was there. As I said, maybe I remember it wrong but I thought this started while he was with the Riders and he left not long after. The irony being he’s benefitting from it now.
I recall that and think it probably contributed but I don’t know if it was exclusively a Rider issue. Other teams were paying multiple contracts out and the league was bleeding cash. Aren’t they always??

Update - found in an article from Darrel Davis in Regina:

The cap was implemented in 2019 because former Riders boss Chris Jones, now with the Edmonton Elks, overspent wildly on extra players and coaches. So the league implemented restrictions to keep free-spending teams from pummelling more responsible teams. It was similar to the CFL’s first cap on player salaries, which originated in 1988 as a method of providing cost-certainty.

You nailed it.

Ps - Jones in Regina was doing what Norm Kimball did for decades in the Evil Empire. Difference being Kimball found great players and assembled juggernaut teams and CJ was just inept. It wouldn’t have lasted in Regina even without the cfl stepping up, their latest financial statements are skinny.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I recall that and think it probably contributed but I don’t know if it was exclusively a Rider issue. Other teams were paying multiple contracts out and the league was bleeding cash. Aren’t they always??

Update - found in an article from Darrel Davis in Regina:

The cap was implemented in 2019 because former Riders boss Chris Jones, now with the Edmonton Elks, overspent wildly on extra players and coaches. So the league implemented restrictions to keep free-spending teams from pummelling more responsible teams. It was similar to the CFL’s first cap on player salaries, which originated in 1988 as a method of providing cost-certainty.

You nailed it.

Ps - Jones in Regina was doing what Norm Kimball did for decades in the Evil Empire. Difference being Kimball found great players and assembled juggernaut teams and CJ was just inept. It wouldn’t have lasted in Regina even without the cfl stepping up, their latest financial statements are skinny.
This really shows how inept the Elks board had become. They brought back into the league a guy that for all intents and purposes had been black-balled. Worse than that, it had happened recently enough that none of them should have forgotten about it. I’d say it serves them right that they’ve ended up in the position they’re in but none of them are losing anything personally. It wasn’t their own money they lost when the team went broke under their leadership. In this case it was just the fans that lost.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This really shows how inept the Elks board had become. They brought back into the league a guy that for all intents and purposes had been black-balled. Worse than that, it had happened recently enough that none of them should have forgotten about it. I’d say it serves them right that they’ve ended up in the position they’re in but none of them are losing anything personally. It wasn’t their own money they lost when the team went broke under their leadership. In this case it was just the fans that lost.
Yup. The board ruined this team. You can go back to them approving Tillman, firing Hervey, wasting 500k on Milanovich, Jones, Cui.... It goes on and on.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yup. The board ruined this team. You can go back to them approving Tillman, firing Hervey, wasting 500k on Milanovich, Jones, Cui.... It goes on and on.
Firing Hervey may have been the one thing they got right. He was a shyster. He had a history of misrepresenting himself while he was here. They didn’t trust him and they were probably right not to. The Lions fired him over the shady Reilly contract.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Elks set to get their usual bad luck with the weather. I called it this week when it was so nice out. Said to my wife, wait until Sunday, it's an Elks game. It'll rain that day.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Elks set to get their usual bad luck with the weather. I called it this week when it was so nice out. Said to my wife, wait until Sunday, it's an Elks game. It'll rain that day.
Game’s in Ottawa

EDIT I was wrong it’s at Commonwealth there’s a misprint on the site

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Has anybody bought the Elks "dino day" family pass? I did and got the email saying I bought the tickets, but there aren't any tickets to view in the My events page, even though is shows "2024 Dino Day Pack!" in the "my events" section. You can't save the tickets to your Apple wallet or even view them.

Like, how am I going to get in the stadium? There isn't a QR code, there aren't any tickets in my ticketmaster app on my phone, there were no attachments with the tickets with the email I got saying I was charged for them, lol. This is mickey mouse crap, to say the least.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I could have written this exact post. Sad isn't it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Took in the Riders v BC game. 30,803 attendance. Ex-Riders QB and receiver McInnes eviscerated the current Riders in a pretty entertaining game. Beautiful day with the roof open. Super fun pre-game tailgate with live moozac, cheap drinks ($5), and hordes of fellow Flatlanders bringing the energy. Thought Sask QB Patterson was decent in a pretty conservative offence helped with some hard running support from Thor. A few wobbles with quicker reads needed and slow with run and short yardage situations but decent growth potential with experience growing.

Winning games changes everything. But BC's newish owner has been a game changer with his work to enhance the game day experience. Fun afternoon with cheap tickets to boot.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Thompson misses a wide open Mayala and then nowhere near a completion for Mitchell. Not the way to start the game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Took in the Riders v BC game. 30,803 attendance. Ex-Riders QB and receiver McInnes eviscerated the current Riders in a pretty entertaining game. Beautiful day with the roof open. Super fun pre-game tailgate with live moozac, cheap drinks ($5), and hordes of fellow Flatlanders bringing the energy. Thought Sask QB Patterson was decent in a pretty conservative offence helped with some hard running support from Thor. A few wobbles with quicker reads needed and slow with run and short yardage situations but decent growth potential with experience growing.

Winning games changes everything. But BC's newish owner has been a game changer with his work to enhance the game day experience. Fun afternoon with cheap tickets to boot.

Meanwhile in Edmonton they are playing in front of tens of fans, with the draw being an inflatable dinosaur at the coin flip.

Bush leagues would blush at this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad