CFL 2024

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Fact of the matter is this team needs to start winning. I doubt the majority of former season ticket holders are going to beeline for the ticket office as soon as they change the name to something other than Elks. They need to win games, market their stars better and just make it a solid, fun experience for fans.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I doubt the NHL even knows the CFL exists, or actually cares about it if they do.
I'm sure the Vancouver City Transit knows about both and the Canucks would have known about the Grey Cup when providing their dates to the league.

It's strange that they seem to have bumped up the start time for the hockey game (likely in response to the CFL start time), but didn't account for the fact that a Grey Cup game lasts closer to 4 hours than 3 hours.

Logistically this could be messy since the buildings are across the street from each other. Hopefully somebody who can do something about it thinks about this more rationally and pushes the hockey start time to 6PM or even 6:30PM local time.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
My comment wasn’t a complaint that the Elks weren’t playing a home game on Canada Day. It was to question why the league didn’t schedule any games at all on Canada Day.

As far as the rules for using the field go. I assume those were for when Commonwealth Stadium used natural grass and every effort was made to protect it. Sadly those days are long gone as the switch to turf happened years ago.
I agree with the CFL missing out on Canada Day, but long weekends are a challenge.

Regarding the rules it was implemented when we were playing at McMahon and that was always turf when I was there.

Now that is interesting and would be welcomed.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I agree with the CFL missing out on Canada Day, but long weekends are a challenge.

Regarding the rules it was implemented when we were playing at McMahon and that was always turf when I was there.

Now that is interesting and would be welcomed.
It would be awesome.

As a Rider fan, derisively calling them the ‘Shmoes just doesn’t have the same cachet anymore.

;). I still love you all as Oiler fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It would be awesome.

As a Rider fan, derisively calling them the ‘Shmoes just doesn’t have the same cachet anymore.

;). I still love you all as Oiler fans.

It's all good. Rider fans have become pretty civil again.

Seeing how the Canuck fan base behaved this year reminded me a bit of the Riders fans during the really strong run, in that Canucks fans typically are pretty decent to deal with when their team is average or below average, but complete assholes when they get any taste of success. However, the reality is a lot of the good ones stay good and just got drowned out by the bandwagon hopping assholes.

I've realized that's mostly what happened with Riders fans in that period where they had prolonged success. Their bandwagoners were the assholes, not the core base which I loved interacting with before and have started to have no issue with them again.

Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's all good. Rider fans have become pretty civil again.

Seeing how the Canuck fan base behaved this year reminded me a bit of the Riders fans during the really strong run, in that Canucks fans typically are pretty decent to deal with when their team is average or below average, but complete assholes when they get any taste of success. However, the reality is a lot of the good ones stay good and just got drowned out by the bandwagon hopping assholes.

I've realized that's mostly what happened with Riders fans in that period where they had prolonged success. Their bandwagoners were the assholes, not the core base which I loved interacting with before and have started to have no issue with them again.
That's pretty consistent across all teams in all professional sports. And as you say usually driven by the late to the party and first to leave bandwagon fringes. As a life-long Riders fan we know decades of futility without periods of sustained success like the Elkimos of Edmonton.

As a personal acedotal aside, I've lived in Vancouver five years now and have always worn my jersey to games and around the city including major events throughout this glorious run including the head-to-head series. Only had one douchy interaction. Twenty years in Cowtown before that and maybe count on one hand really negative situations. Be a respectful fan and most people can have fun with rivalries.

My 3-0 Riders are about to hit a reality pothole with ol' man QB out for six games!

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That's pretty consistent across all teams in all professional sports. And as you say usually driven by the late to the party and first to leave bandwagon fringes. As a life-long Riders fan we know decades of futility without periods of sustained success like the Elkimos of Edmonton.

As a personal acedotal aside, I've lived in Vancouver five years now and have always worn my jersey to games and around the city including major events throughout this glorious run including the head-to-head series. Only had one douchy interaction. Twenty years in Cowtown before that and maybe count on one hand really negative situations. Be a respectful fan and most people can have fun with rivalries.

My 3-0 Riders are about to hit a reality pothole with ol' man QB out for six games!
Oh god, do we ever know futility.

I went to games in the early 80s when there wouldn’t have been 7500 people at Taylor Field. Those were the years of telethons and you could pay your season tix with a truckload of wheat at the Wheat Pool elevator. Kinda funny now when you look back on some of it. Tom Sheppard had his hands full back then.

Back to today, I’m still pissed Oday signed that washed up fossil last year and then doubled down after his injury last year and didn’t improve the position for this season. Sadly with the management salary cap and his shiny new contract extension, JOD will be sewering things back at the homeland for a few more years to come.

Elkimos and Riders can commiserate together. CJ and JOD, brothers from different mothers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oh god, do we ever know futility.

I went to games in the early 80s when there wouldn’t have been 7500 people at Taylor Field. Those were the years of telethons and you could pay your season tix with a truckload of wheat at the Wheat Pool elevator. Kinda funny now when you look back on some of it. Tom Sheppard had his hands full back then.

Back to today, I’m still pissed Oday signed that washed up fossil last year and then doubled down after his injury last year and didn’t improve the position for this season. Sadly with the management salary cap and his shiny new contract extension, JOD will be sewering things back at the homeland for a few more years to come.

Elkimos and Riders can commiserate together. CJ and JOD, brothers from different mothers.
Haha, good times eh. The old 80s era joke was "I left 2 Riders tix on my car window to giveaway. Came back later and there were 4 more!" We know a century of pain including the original threat to insolvency and all matters imaginable to keep the light's on.

Yup, not a fan of OD either. Off field executive guy hasn't been great either. Lots of fan fatigue with stadium jumbo prices and shitty football. Will say though that old man rag arm looked okay early until his most recent, most predicable injury. I like the young QB's Patterson and Coan but jumping up to starter will be a big, big test.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Haha, good times eh. The old 80s era joke was "I left 2 Riders tix on my car window to giveaway. Came back later and there were 4 more!" We know a century of pain including the original threat to insolvency and all matters imaginable to keep the light's on.

Yup, not a fan of OD either. Off field executive guy hasn't been great either. Lots of fan fatigue with stadium jumbo prices and shitty football. Will say though that old man rag arm looked okay early until his most recent, most predicable injury. I like the young QB's Patterson and Coan but jumping up to starter will be a big, big test.
We got spoilt during the Hopson era. Competive teams, good coaching, player attraction wasn’t an issue (but sometimes behaviour and self control was. Note to self, stay away from Bushwackers and the Dewdney pirates who roam the area, heh heh).

Bill Baker and his short tenure was another gooder. Him and Hopson probably the two best Execs (but different roles) I’ve witnessed in my many long years of Rider fandom. Al Ford and JOD, well…not so much. Quite odd that all were former players for GangGreen.

Anywho, serious question…what’s happening with the Elks sale? Haven’t heard much, sometimes that’s a very good thing though.

Last edited:
  • Love

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Well boys

4 straight for us!!!! Didn’t expect this to be honest. Has been a surprise season, but they are playing some good ball out there both offensively and defensively ! He was also throwing the ball pretty good last night. Really gave us a chance to win!

4 straight and looking for more! Yankees tonight. Let’s go for 5!! Go Sox go!!!!

Oh… Riders are 4-0 as well

• Haha
Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This comes back around to the Gregg rumors as he was part of the group that brought the Riverhawks to Edmonton, I believe.
I don't think it's him but who knows.

Heard it's the construction CEO out of Spruce Grove who just sold his business last year. Also heard the name is changing back.

Reactions: timekeep

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't think it's him but who knows.

Heard it's the construction CEO out of Spruce Grove who just sold his business last year. Also heard the name is changing back.

God I can’t wait for the fireworks if this happens.

Unfortunately the name change and dysfunction of the league has killed a lot of my CFL interest, but if they change the name back I’ll put my money where my mouth is and buy tickets and merch again.

I bet they’ll even sell more merch than 3 whole home games!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
God I can’t wait for the fireworks if this happens.

Unfortunately the name change and dysfunction of the league has killed a lot of my CFL interest, but if they change the name back I’ll put my money where my mouth is and buy tickets and merch again.

I bet they’ll even sell more merch than 3 whole home games!
It would be pretty damn ballsy to do it at this point, so much so that I'd can't imagine the fireworks from the SJWs. Maybe this is the hold up with the sale as any deal likely includes extended leases with the City and possibly even some added access to the building for things beyond CFL games (like the Riverhawks deal included with Remax).

Can't picture this mayor or city council signing off on an agreement that would enable the team to basically do the opposite of what they've been doing blowing money all over the place renaming roads and communities to pander to our indigenous.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It would be pretty damn ballsy to do it at this point, so much so that I'd can't imagine the fireworks from the SJWs. Maybe this is the hold up with the sale as any deal likely includes extended leases with the City and possibly even some added access to the building for things beyond CFL games (like the Riverhawks deal included with Remax).

Can't picture this mayor or city council signing off on an agreement that would enable the team to basically do the opposite of what they've been doing blowing money all over the place renaming roads and communities to pander to our indigenous.

Definitely a valid point I never thought of.

You wonder how much political capital the City would want to burn on this though. Their approval ratings are already in the toilet and a lot of that has to do with the nonsense you outlined. One can hope I suppose.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Can the new owner just change the name like that? Doesn’t he need approval from the CFL (i.e. the league sponsors)? I guess if there was some way to prove changing the name back to Eskimos would increase betting and gambling revenues then it would work

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Can the new owner just change the name like that? Doesn’t he need approval from the CFL (i.e. the league sponsors)? I guess if there was some way to prove changing the name back to Eskimos would increase betting and gambling revenues then it would work

Another good point. Does the rest of the league want to deal with the fallout from the SJWs?

I've long been in the camp that it's time to move on, the name is gone, and bringing it back would be more insensitive to those upset by it than just not changing it in the first would ever have been.

However, now I'm really curious to see what would actually happen if a team and league willingly took on a new name that some people found offensive. If it proved to be financially successful, maybe the pendulum would start swinging back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad