KHL doesn't care about IIHF rules anymore

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
CSKA was prohibited to make any international tranfers, but they've already signed the whole bunch of players from AHL/NHL. According to a new Russian law Russian teams can now sign players without intenational federations' approvement.

Of course I doubt Russian football clubs will ignore FIFA rules, but IIHF isn't FIFA so it looks like the KHL has made another step to full independence from IIHF and FHR.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
CSKA was prohibited to make any international tranfers, but they've already signed the whole bunch of players from AHL/NHL. According to a new Russian law Russian teams can now sign players without intenational federations' approvement.

Of course I doubt Russian football clubs will ignore FIFA rules, but IIHF isn't FIFA so it looks like the KHL has made another step to full independence from IIHF and FHR.
CSKA & KHL can say a big thank you to Hietanen, Larsson & Bŕíza known as gravediggers of European hockey for achieving their goal. ;)

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Per se, the only practical impact this has is if a player gets a WADA suspension, his time in the KHL will not count towards it (see recent case of French international Jules Boscq who was told his suspension would be held off until he returns in an IIHF-sanctionned context if he stayed in the ECHL last season).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Per se, the only practical impact this has is if a player gets a WADA suspension, his time in the KHL will not count towards it (see recent case of French international Jules Boscq who was told his suspension would be held off until he returns in an IIHF-sanctionned context if he stayed in the ECHL last season).

I'm pretty sure over time there will be more and more players from different countries coming to the league even if right now they are afraid of playing in the KHL. Money talks after all. And then these players will do what KHL tells them not IIHF, like it's happening with NHL right now.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure over time there will be more and more players from different countries coming to the league even if right now they are afraid of playing in the KHL. Money talks after all. And then these players will do what KHL tells them not IIHF, like it's happening with NHL right now.
I'm not denying any of this, I'm just pointing out the only real difference there is between the KHL (and, I assume, the MHL and ZhHL) being an IIHF-sanctionned league and becoming independent. Otherwise, it's pretty much business as usual.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm not denying any of this, I'm just pointing out the only real difference there is between the KHL (and, I assume, the MHL and ZhHL) being an IIHF-sanctionned league and becoming independent. Otherwise, it's pretty much business as usual.

Alas, all the political shit (I'm talking about hockey political shit of course) is pretty real so I can't agree with you about the only REAL difference.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Alas, all the political shit (I'm talking about hockey political shit of course) is pretty real so I can't agree with you about the only REAL difference.
It all depends on what the higher ups will want whenever the current situation evolves. Right now, it feels more like ego stroking as the impact is minimal.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Russia is not a part of international hockey, no sense in pretending otherwise. Also FHR representatives should stop attending IIHF meetings. Outside they can do what they want.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

It all depends on what the higher ups will want whenever the current situation evolves. Right now, it feels more like ego stroking as the impact is minimal.
I can not agree with your definition of "only practical impact"

This law allows the KHL to organise their scheduling as they wish. They are not limited anymore by IIHF events like World Championship. Next season will finish their playoffs in May instead of April 30. Btw. scheduling is a big issue for other top European leagues as well.

The KHL is outside IIHF transfer rules (aka IIHF transfer card is not needed anymore) as NHL has always been. The IIHF has no jurisdiction over KHL clubs & players.

The KHL does not need approval from national hockey federation (of country) in case of the expansion.

The IIHF Council and European member associations have done wrong decisions in last couple of years. This will have just one long-term effect -- they will become irrelevant, so weakening their role within world hockey. All they have done will weaken them. Especially without money due to incoming hardships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad