CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Larry Thompson is the new Elks owner. Don't know much about him. A season ticket holder and is in the construction business. Today is a busy day in YEG sports..
Edit: pardon moi, already announced a few posts up.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
If BC had the space to sign the contract, I'd suspect they'll ride out the year with both knowing that Adams is dealing with an injury and Rourke did get injured last time he played regularly. Moves like this will be for the offseason.
I doubt they have the space but I believe teams can go over the cap but have to pay a fine. Half a season of Rourke is at least 300-400k is my guess

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Larry Thompson is the new Elks owner. Don't know much about him. A season ticket holder and is in the construction business. Today is a busy day in YEG sports..
Edit: pardon moi, already announced a few posts up.
The guy is flush with cash. Sold his business last year. Hopefully it's more than just a hobby for him owning the team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Great to see the Thompson's purchase finally went through. He is going change some thinks and I heard he hates the Elks name.
I like him already but I don't think there will be a name change.

My advice to him would be to settle in to the job and then test the waters. First things first--sign some of the stars-- Morgan, Anderson, Oakman, Ford, etc. and go from there.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I like him already but I don't think there will be a name change.

My advice to him would be to settle in to the job and then test the waters. First things first--sign some of the stars-- Morgan, Anderson, Oakman, Ford, etc. and go from there.
I'm willing to bet on that? haha, hopefully its Eskimos but won't bet that part. Can't see them as the Elks next season. They will want to sell some 'new' merchandise to make some of their money back.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Almost criminal the way the Giants and Falcons treated him. Get's no reps at all at Giants camp (and they have abysmal QB's), and then he gets 10 days of camp with the Falcons, plays the 4th quarter, outplays Heinecke and still gets cut.
Agreed but not unusual. The fact is that if you are not one of the team's draft picks and not a higher draft pick of other NFL teams then you don't get much of a shot.

Rick Ray didn't either.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Congratulations to the Elks organization and to Elk fans. To be finally rid of the Nervous Nine and their brethren/offspring is a day worth celebrating. I hope your days of wandering through the desert have ended.

(But I still hope you stub your toe every so often.)

:)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm willing to bet on that? haha, hopefully its Eskimos but won't bet that part. Can't see them as the Elks next season. They will want to sell some 'new' merchandise to make some of their money back.
I get it but like I say--first things first. Sign some of your better players to 2 year extensions/ deals to establish some sense of "identity." That way, when Stoneman takes his wife to the games he can tell her all about the guys he recognizes (haha). Then get attendance back up to 30K per game (very doable). Then test the waters on a name change.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I get it but like I say--first things first. Sign some of your better players to 2 year extensions/ deals to establish some sense of "identity." That way, when Stoneman takes his wife to the games he can tell her all about the guys he recognizes (haha). Then get attendance back up to 30K per game (very doable). Then test the waters on a name change.
Are we sure it’s his wife he takes to Elk games?

Kidding of course.

Reactions: Stoneman89

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I think there will be a few 'first things' going on. Signing players and coaches and managers....

I would be quite surprised if there isn't a name change for next year.
I think that might have been one of the factors that kept this sale dragging on.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’d make that bet too haha. I wouldn’t be surprised if the name change was at least a part of him wanting to buy the team. I don’t think it would be about making money back more-so just dumping a shitty team name. I’m not sure they’d go right back to Eskimos but I’m sure Eskies or Esks is on the table. He’s got enough money and connections he won’t be concerned about push back from corporate sponsors, he can float the boat and find new sponsors if need be. He’s going to care more about what the fans of the team want because he himself is a long time fan.

That said, I don’t think he’s going to be a really hands on owner, he’ll put good people in place and let them do their jobs. He’s a local owner but not around as much since selling the business, they’ve got some a nice real estate portfolio in DLC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad