CFL 2024

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Look at the link I posted on the previous page, Jones indicated Ford was not at all involved in the discussion.

I have no idea if Ford is the long term answer. He had his issues as the season wore on, but a lot of that was the poor infrastructure around him. What I do know is he was the only reason the last half of the season was even remotely watchable. MBT is a journeyman QB who has looked slightly above average on good teams. We don’t have a good team, and from the sounds of it have limited $ for free agents. I really hope this works out, just not getting a good vibe from it. I just don’t trust Jones.
Oh I don't trust Jones either and this may be a last gasp straw for him. But I felt that Ford was really put out in the wilderness last year and it got progressively more difficult for him as the season went on. Just don't want him to lose all confidence this year with no other viable options. Hopefully Will Ferrell can make the quick decisions we need a vet to make, especially with a subpar offensive line.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Cornelius made much much more than Ford but that didn't mean he got to hang on to the starter's job.
He did though. He hung onto it thru one of the worst stretches in football history, yet Jones refused to budge until it was far too late. It was obvious to everyone but Jones that Corn wasn’t the answer, yet Jones ego wouldn’t allow him to admit he made a colossal mistake with that signing. When Jones finally gave up on his dream, he never stopped his praise for Corn and had to have his arm twisted to ever say anything positive about Ford.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The way some people on here are talking is that Ford was almost lights out last year, so no problems this year with him in full control. The fact is that he started off with a bang, and then gradually faded, as teams collected film on him and schemed to shut him down. By the end, despite a couple brilliant plays here and there, he was completely neutered by the better defences. Lest we forget, Ford's comp last year was the incomparable Cornhole. Not exactly the highest bar you can find. I find it awfully difficult to imagine leaving him all on his lonesome to sort through another year with someone like Doege as his safety latch.

Is there info out there where it's conclusive that Jones didn't speak to Ford about this move, prior to it happening?
There were essentially no lights on at Commonwealth last season. But looking at the Elkimos stretch play when Ford finally was given the ball their team looked competitive. The QB himself, 67.4% completion rate, 2,069 yards passing, 12-6 TD/Int. rate, and 9.1 yards per play. All team high results despite having to wait through two inefficient guys ahead of him to fail.

As far as other teams scheming to stop him, that's a HC issue to game plan and in-game scheme to counter. Course that leads to a GM issue with no receiver over 850 yards receiving and inconsistent personnel to support the player.

Risk reward. There's a solid case to build around an age 25 QB with those solid numbers. BC broke through when they invested in a young QB who had far more limited stats (82 pass attempts; 754 yards passing; 3 TD 5 Int ratio). They doubled down with a second young Canadian QB to back up. This was a defining risk that helped turn around their franchise.

EDIT: Forgot Ford's 622 rushing yards, second highest on team, 9.4 yards per carry average.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he was at least owed the courtesy of a phone call from Jones to let him know what the teams plans were. I mean he was their starting QB, I'd be more than pissed off to know I'd been replaced by reading about it on social media.
I don't know that he is worth any phone call. That doesn't even happen in the NFL unless you are an elite/generational QB.

Then what happens if Bethel-Thompson falls through?

There was zero need to give Ford a call IMO. Now that it's done sure there can be a call, but no league out there is it common practice to let someone know that hey we might try replace you.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
One QB makes upwards of 500k. One around 80k. There is zero chance, barring injury, that MBT isn’t the starter. Look how long it took Jones to move on from his overpaid boy Corn. Jones has a massive ego, him admitting that he made a mistake before game 1? Not gonna happen.

But on the other hand look back to Jones in Saskatchewan where they had Kevin Glenn and Brandon Bridge. That season Bridge got a start and was behind centre for 138 pass attempts and many other running plays. Also both years under Jones by Game 5 he gave a start to another QB other than the incumbent starter. His issue last year was that he hesitated to let Ford have the ball for too long because of a poor training camp, but Jones has shown in the past he's willing to give the backup some time behind centre.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Liked the Jones interview he did yesterday. Said he has no plans to trade Ford and that Ford is the future. Wants MBT to mentor Ford this year.

“Tre Ford’s in our plans,” he said. “McLeod’s our guy and we’re going to develop the heck out of Tre.

“He’s got a tremendous bright future in front of him. I think he can benefit tremendously from being around McLeod. McLeod is excited about that opportunity to try to help develop him.

“(Ford is) very much like (Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback) Zach Collaros … Zach’s development didn’t happen in the first year either … (Ford is) only going to get better.”

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Liked the Jones interview he did yesterday. Said he has no plans to trade Ford and that Ford is the future. Wants MBT to mentor Ford this year.

“Tre Ford’s in our plans,” he said. “McLeod’s our guy and we’re going to develop the heck out of Tre.

“He’s got a tremendous bright future in front of him. I think he can benefit tremendously from being around McLeod. McLeod is excited about that opportunity to try to help develop him.

“(Ford is) very much like (Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback) Zach Collaros … Zach’s development didn’t happen in the first year either … (Ford is) only going to get better.”

Bethel saying the right things too

Reactions: guymez

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Wow that’s a big trade. Elks get the best National reciever they’ve had in a long time, and while Ceresna is a great player, finding an American DE is a lot easier. Only issue might be Gittens durability.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
We now have two of the highest paid receivers in the league. Both need to have far better years than they had last year.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Gittens also put up 1100 yards with MBT throwing him the ball in 2022. There’s some familiarity between them which is a nice bonus for a new QB.

Reactions: Valhallis

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know I didn’t. He looked like a jackass doing those flips in games they were getting blown out in, not to mention the time he took out an official with one and got a 15 yard penalty for it. Can’t be that hard to find a replacement just a little brighter than him.
The timing of them was so odd at times. Like big deal you made a play, but we are still losing the game. I was just getting ready for him to hurt himself doing one

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Explain to me why this is good for the Elks? Because from what I am reading, it looks like we got hosed BIG time in this...

I don't know if it is good, but we get a Canadian WR and get rid of an American player, helps the ratio in some way. Gittens apparently played well under MBT in Toronto for 1 year.

Smells like a one year fix it type trade to be honest, but the CFL always seems like a year to year league.

I'm still holding out hope that somehow Ford is mentored and stays past this year, he's the only reason I've been interested in the CFL in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad