McKenzie: Ceci trade "within the realm of possibility"

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
McKenzie delves into Ceci trade possibility

“I think in the case of Ceci because he’s on the one-year deal… RFA at the end of this year - I think that the notion of trading Cody Ceci is within the realm of possibility,” allowed McKenzie. “And that it wouldn’t surprise me if the Senators have gotten calls on Ceci, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Ottawa Senators are earnestly listening on those.
“Again, nobody has made any pronouncements, and so nothing is firm by any stretch of the imagination, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Senators were open to the idea of trading Ceci. That doesn’t mean they’re going to give him away. It’s not a fire sale. Contractually, they still own him. They could qualify him, or do another deal, or whatever the case may be - but he’s not unrestricted, he’s not walking out the door. You have some control over the player, but not a ton either. He’s getting on.
“So on that one I think there’ll likely be conversations.”

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Of course he is available. Anyone making over $2 mil a year is on the table in Melnyk's mind

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Ceci for Honka + pick (3rd or later) is something I could see happening.

Stars should take this. I know Ceci isn't amazing, but he's definitely better for the #4 spot than our other options currently.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I assumed he was always available but just not really wanted too much by many teams

Ceci has been discussed as the centerpiece in feals for Hall, Eberle and Drouin

So the opposite was true

He has never been available but has always been wanted

I suspect now it is closer to what you think - he is more available than ever but less teams than ever are interested

He has been better than last year at least

Stars should take this. I know Ceci isn't amazing, but he's definitely better for the #4 spot than our other options currently.

I dont think Honka is the type of D we would target... Wolanin & Chabot are both regulars and I am not sure what Honka can bring that they do not already provide

Not saying its bad value just not sure Honka is a great fit for us

Reactions: derriko

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ceci + Dzingel for 2019 1st + Puljujarvi + Sekera?

I would cry if that happened.

Agreed it is way too much to expect

Protected 1st or Puljuarvi could come into play but I think the additional piece would be less, even with Sekera coming back.... Sekera is fine when healthy and when he's hurt he can just be left on LTIR

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Agreed it is way too much to expect

Protected 1st or Puljuarvi could come into play but I think the additional piece would be less, even with Sekera coming back.... Sekera is fine when healthy and when he's hurt he can just be left on LTIR
It's pretty realistic for Chia. I could definitely see him packaging the 2019 for Ceci and Dzingel, kill two birds with one stone - a top-6 F and a top-4 D.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Cody Ceci for Danny Dekeyser and Darren Helm.

For Detroit, Ceci is a RHD and is an RFA. Would be a welcomed piece on the blueline when Kronwall retires. Other than Karlsson, Edler, Myers and Gardiner, there isn't a lot of top-4 D in UFA next summer. The Red Wings blueline would look like this next year :

Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Ceci
Jensen - Hronek

For Ottawa, Dekeyser is a LHD with some term (signed until 2021-22) and would solidy the left D on OTT. Helm is a great bottom-6 forward, but DET has a lot of those (Glendening, Frk, Ehn, De la Rose, Svechnikov (injured), Turgeon, Witkowski, Abdelkader).

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Cody Ceci for Danny Dekeyser and Darren Helm.

For Detroit, Ceci is a RHD and is an RFA. Would be a welcomed piece on the blueline when Kronwall retires. Other than Karlsson, Edler, Myers and Gardiner, there isn't a lot of top-4 D in UFA next summer. The Red Wings blueline would look like this next year :

Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Ceci
Jensen - Hronek

For Ottawa, Dekeyser is a LHD with some term (signed until 2021-22) and would solidy the left D on OTT. Helm is a great bottom-6 forward, but DET has a lot of those (Glendening, Frk, Ehn, De la Rose, Svechnikov (injured), Turgeon, Witkowski, Abdelkader).

This is very unappealing

Helm is a cap dump and exactly the type of player we are trying to shed

I have liked him for years but that is the last type of piece we are looking to add

As for Dekeyser, we have no need for LHD. We have 3 very good LHD who are all 23 or under and are all making less than 1mil. Never mind the fact that he costs a lot of money

Basically there is zero chance that the Sens will add 4mil in long term salary while getting older and not getting any picks or prospects. I dont even think we'd take the package of Dekeyser + Helm for free at this point

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad