McKenzie: Ceci trade "within the realm of possibility"

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Ceci is not one million times better than anybody.

There are a few teams where Ceci would arguably be the 7D.

On the Jets he'd be a 7D. No way he plays before Byfuglien, Trouba or our own whipping boy Myers. If Tucker Poolman wasn't concussed Ceci would be in a fight for 8D.

How he ever got a $4.3 million dollar contract is beyond me. Comparables like that contract are the reason Trouba wants $8 million.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh so we're using the RD argument? Lots of players play their offside especially in a league with a majority of LH players. The point is he wouldn't be the worst D on every single one of the teams you mentioned, thus in the top 6 and thus not the 7th D. Coaches make room for players.

Most defensemen play their handedness side, and no coach in the league is going to make room for Ceci.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Cody Ceci for Danny Dekeyser and Darren Helm.

For Detroit, Ceci is a RHD and is an RFA. Would be a welcomed piece on the blueline when Kronwall retires. Other than Karlsson, Edler, Myers and Gardiner, there isn't a lot of top-4 D in UFA next summer. The Red Wings blueline would look like this next year :

Cholowski - Green
Ericsson - Ceci
Jensen - Hronek

For Ottawa, Dekeyser is a LHD with some term (signed until 2021-22) and would solidy the left D on OTT. Helm is a great bottom-6 forward, but DET has a lot of those (Glendening, Frk, Ehn, De la Rose, Svechnikov (injured), Turgeon, Witkowski, Abdelkader).

Wha why? Dekeyser way better than Ceci. Wings could actually get a decent asset for Dekeyser if they retained a little on him. Helm isn't near bad enough to warrant this trade to get rid of his contract. DD has a NTC anyway so i doubt he'd agree to leave his hometown to play for OTT.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Ceci is totally fine if he's not on the top pairing. If he's your number 4 with a decent partner, he's plenty adequate.

We have no defense in Ottawa so he plays too many minutes in too many situations against best players.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Who was dumber, Edmonton being interested in a Hall-Ceci trade and Ottawa turning it down (even though it was most likely Melnyk)?

I could be wrong but I swore I read a few times that Larsson wasn't on the table during the potential Ceci trade, the Larsson offer came through afterwards and Edmonton chose him over Ceci.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Ceci is totally fine if he's not on the top pairing. If he's your number 4 with a decent partner, he's plenty adequate.

We have no defense in Ottawa so he plays too many minutes in too many situations against best players.

That's a fair statement. With regards to the Jets he'd be an upgrade on all of Chiarot, Morrow & Niku. Sadly they are all LD.

Issue for teams like Winnipeg is they are ultra deep on RD, so there's no quality LD for Ceci to rely on. In the Jets case that would be Morrissey, but that also means placing Ceci on the top pairing.

If Ottawa is looking to trade and they can pull a Puljarvi out of Edmonton they should do it. Younger player, cap space and still has tremendous upside whereas Ceci has likely peaked.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I would see Pierre Dorian having a hard time getting rid of Ceci. He is one of the GM's favorites and Coach favorite.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Most defensemen play their handedness side, and no coach in the league is going to make room for Ceci.

I think he meant Ceci playing RD along side a legit pairing 2D.

In Florida for instance Yandle on LD & Ceci at RD is perfectly acceptable.

Although it would hardly be the best 2nd pairing in the NHL, it would certainly be far from the worst.

Ceci's $4.3 million price tag is the biggest issue. Couple that with a Yandle like contact at $6.35 and you're spending $10.65 million to get the results of an average pairing.

No thanks.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think he meant Ceci playing RD along side a legit pairing 2D.

In Florida for instance Yandle on LD & Ceci at RD is perfectly acceptable.

Although it would hardly be the best 2nd pairing in the NHL, it would certainly be far from the worst.

Ceci's $4.3 million price tag is the biggest issue. Couple that with a Yandle like contact at $6.35 and you're spending $10.65 million to get the results of an average pairing.

No thanks.

Yandle and Ceci would be disastrous defensively

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Ceci for Henrique?

I could see this being an attractive move for Dorion.

Play it off as a hockey move, to keep us competitive. Then move Duchene, who is now redundant in Dorions books with Henrique, White, Tierny, Pageau all down the middle.
Meanwhile our defense consists of Chabot, DeMelo, Boroweicki and 3 rookies..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad