Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Beyond Blueger, is there another decent but reasonable cost center available this offseason? With Chytil and his injury concerns, I’m sure Drury will look to backfill with at least a better 4C I would think. Brodzinski is really the ideal 13th forward based on cap hit and versatility.

If you told me that Drury traded Goodrow and signed Blueger at 2 years for $2.2m I’d be pretty happy with that.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Max Domi is garbage as evidenced by him being available every year for the last 5 years in a league where teams keep everyone.

He has all the shit parts of being chippy with none of the good parts. He has good passing instincts I guess but is one of the worst goal scorers in the league. Just the what Rangers could use, more passes who can't finish.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Who becomes a bottom 6 forward for no other reason than they signed him, cut the umbilical cord like they did Hajek, if this team can't find a better player than a career ahl'er then maybe the job isn't for Drury.
Same amount of points in less games than $2.4M Kaapo Kakko.

Kakko first.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Karl Henriksson left the organization.

Last vestige of that horrible horrible McDonagh / Miller trade
The entire league knew McDonagh was on the block all year and none of them even tried. That's a GM failure for the league.

Miller was visibly quitting shifts and was their 3rd best LW making $5M on a team about to tank. I think you trade him at the draft but he had to go at some point.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Same amount of points in less games than $2.4M Kaapo Kakko.

Kakko first.

This can't be a real thought in your head really is it? Kakko underperformed as a young player and is a possible solution to our problems, the epitome of low risk high reward signing. Brodzinski had a career year and isn't even close to being in our future plans, he's so far in the rearview you have to back up to see him

effen

Feb 3, 2018
This can't be a real thought in your head really is it? Kakko underperformed as a young player and is a possible solution to our problems, the epitome of low risk high reward signing. Brodzinski had a career year and isn't even close to being in our future plans, he's so far in the rearview you have to back up to see him
Brodz became a bottom six forward because he deserved it. One of the best organizational stories of the year.

He also makes one third of what Kakko makes with better production and better uptime (Kakko has one 82 game season in five years).

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Also, points isn’t the only way to determine value

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Beyond Blueger, is there another decent but reasonable cost center available this offseason? With Chytil and his injury concerns, I’m sure Drury will look to backfill with at least a better 4C I would think. Brodzinski is really the ideal 13th forward based on cap hit and versatility.

If you told me that Drury traded Goodrow and signed Blueger at 2 years for $2.2m I’d be pretty happy with that.
Wenberg could be that 4C. I doubt he gets anything close to AAV from his last contract.

Who becomes a bottom 6 forward for no other reason than they signed him, cut the umbilical cord like they did Hajek, if this team can't find a better player than a career ahl'er then maybe the job isn't for Drury.
Huh? He missed all but one playoff game once the roster got full with TDL trades and injury recoveries. Stop making shit up.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Edstrom should replace Goodrow
This is obviously the way to go. Even if Goodrow is still here for another season, it should be Edstrom centering the 4th line…
He has to many qualities that indicate him being extremely successful in that role.
He got the size, reach, skating, he’s physical but not a bruiser, and he doesn’t need to be.. he’s also got a smart head on his shoulders and plays the game well.
He’s also already showed he can take a 4th line shift and be effective in the NHL with his cup of coffee this season…there’s not really much else you can ask for tbh…. Maybe get better at faceoffs, but that will come.
At this point in time, the only thing he doesn’t have is experience and you don’t get that without playing…. If it’s not edstrom time now then when??
He’s also on a cheap contract which is what we need and he’s an ideal candidate to be worked in to the PK rotation.

I don’t think Lavi wants an all rookie 4th line… not many coaches do… so if Edstrom is getting the nod and rangers manage to trade Goodrow, I expect them to add another cheap vet for the 4th line rotation with vesey/rempe.
You can get 1 for about 2 mill per or cheaper and reallocate the rest of Goodrow cap hit elsewhere in the line up

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is obviously the way to go. Even if Goodrow is still here for another season, it should be Edstrom centering the 4th line…
He has to many qualities that indicate him being extremely successful in that role.
He got the size, reach, skating, he’s physical but not a bruiser, and he doesn’t need to be.. he’s also got a smart head on his shoulders and plays the game well.
He’s also already showed he can take a 4th line shift and be effective in the NHL with his cup of coffee this season…there’s not really much else you can ask for tbh…. Maybe get better at faceoffs, but that will come.
At this point in time, the only thing he doesn’t have is experience and you don’t get that without playing…. If it’s not edstrom time now then when??
He’s also on a cheap contract which is what we need and he’s an ideal candidate to be worked in to the PK rotation.

I don’t think Lavi wants an all rookie 4th line… not many coaches do… so if Edstrom is getting the nod and rangers manage to trade Goodrow, I expect them to add another cheap vet for the 4th line rotation with vesey/rempe.
You can get 1 for about 2 mill per or cheaper and reallocate the rest of Goodrow cap hit elsewhere in the line up
Where did you get all-rookie 4th line - Vesey’s got another year and he’s not going anywhere.

Re. Edstrom - he hasn’t earned 4C role, possible but FAR from certain, more on the unlikely side at this point (but not impossible obviously). A big factor is Chytil uncertainty. I think they need someone who can step into 3C role if needed and obviously it’s way too much to ask from Edstrom.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Where did you get all-rookie 4th line - Vesey’s got another year and he’s not going anywhere.

Re. Edstrom - he hasn’t earned 4C role, possible but FAR from certain, more on the unlikely side at this point (but not impossible obviously). A big factor is Chytil uncertainty. I think they need someone who can step into 3C role if needed and obviously it’s way too much to ask from Edstrom.
I can’t speak for him but a few of us have Vesey as the 13th forward in our ideal lineups

Reactions: bernmeister

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Brodz became a bottom six forward because he deserved it. One of the best organizational stories of the year.

He also makes one third of what Kakko makes with better production and better uptime (Kakko has one 82 game season in five years).

ah, i see we've gotten to the blaming Kakko for not playing 82 games during COVID-shortened seasons phase of the offseason. cool.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Looks like a whole lot of not much.

Couple RWs out there that can play or have played center, but not exactly the guys I'd want to hitch a horse to. If Chytil goes down, it's an issue.

Maybe Yakov Trenin? He was always an under-the-radar guy with Nashville, but I don't know how he's done with Colorado.

UFA C.PNG

effen

Feb 3, 2018
ah, i see we've gotten to the blaming Kakko for not playing 82 games during COVID-shortened seasons phase of the offseason. cool.
That's correct, he shoulda showed more gumption those two years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad