Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He has Brindley and Mateychuk as "middle of the lineup" players. That's a middle six forward for Brindley and second pair d-man for Mateychuk. Unless you folks have Brindley as a top line forward and Mateychuk as a top pairing d-man this is hardly under-rated. Maybe Mateychuk can get there I don't know but wouldn't make that bet with either of these guys.
I can't speak for the other two, but I imagine this reaction is borne out of Mateychuk specifically being listed as the 137th best player on the list and far below players we all consider worse prospects. He was also barely top ten on Pronman's Jackets-specific list, regardless of whatever category Pronman chooses to label him with. Pronman has a known tall guy bias, and that's all I was saying.

edited for clarity

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Pronman chooses to label him with. Pronman has a known tall guy bias, and that's all I was saying.
i remembered pronman being the low guy on mateychuk for a while but i went back and looked and the trajectory of pronman's rankings on mateychuk is strange.

Ranking setPronmanWheeler
2022 draft1413
2022 top u2395 (14 in class)28* (13 in class)
2023 u23 - summer145 (29th in class)32 (13 in class)
2022 redraft 31N/A (hasn't done one)
2023 u23 - winterN/A (didn't do) 14 (9th in class)
2024 u23 - summer 137 (27th in class)35 (10th in class)

*wheeler's prospect lists exclude guys who have become established NHLers, so I've included Mateychuk's in-class rating as a better comparison

when you account for players graduating from wheeler's rankings (cooley + slaf), he has mateychuk right around his draft slot, but praises him in the writeup. that feels a lot closer to reflecting the body of work that mateychuk has than pronman's rankings, which paint the picture of a prospect who isn't developing.

the 2023 pronman rankings dinged mateychuk for not having a major leap in counting stats in his D+1 (no mention of the different usage/bigger defensive role) but then didn't reward him for having a gigantic leap in his D+2 season.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
EP Rinkside 2024 NHL Prospect Pool Rankings: No. 7-ranked Columbus Blue Jackets

1. Lindstrom
2. Mateychuk
3. Brindley
4. Elick
5. Svozil
6. Dumais
7. DBB
8. Whitelaw
9. Malatesta
10. Greaves
11. Cuelemans
12. Strathmann
13. Pinelli
14. Marrelli
15. McKown
16. Pyyhtia
17. Ivanov
18. Dolzhenkov
Worth noting, from the article:
Among the recent graduates by Calder eligibility include Adam Fantilli, David Jiříček, and Dmitri Voronkov. In a ranking of all 23-and-under players in the organization, the Blue Jackets would surely place even higher.

Reactions: Indy18

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Let's hope the all practice regimen works as well with him as it did with some of our other Russians.
Yeah, but I still would like to see gradual increase in ice time this year and in the next couple of years. Voronkov, also a 4th round pick and somewhat similar F prospect, got to play nearly 15 minutes per game for Ak Bars as a 20-23 year old in the KHL.

age​
19​
20​
21​
22​
23​
Voronkov (TOI/G)​
10:49​
14:44​
15:01​
14:58​
CBJ​
Dolzhenkov (TOI/G)​
9:58​
1:38:sarcasm:
???​
???​
???​

But maybe in his case more off-ice training for speed and stamina development is much needed, so we shouldn't be too worried about the lack of TOI just yet. In a recent preseason post-game interview he revealed something about HC Vorobyov's plans for the season (per google translate):

— What is the main idea that Ilya Vorobyov conveys to you?

— The first thing is speed. CSKA is currently changing to faster hockey. That’s the main idea.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
3 shifts and 1:38 TOI in CSKA's season opener. :huh:
I'm not worried yet, isn't CSKA one of the best teams in the KHL?

If he's still getting less than 2 minutes in the playoffs then I'd be upset. But Marchenko was getting like 4-6 minutes a night right before he came over so. Not unheard of

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'm not worried yet, isn't CSKA one of the best teams in the KHL?
Idk but they have a new HC as Fedorov left, with whom they won b2b cups in 2022 and 2023. Last year they finished 6th in the conference, followed by 1st round exit in the playoffs.

If he's still getting less than 2 minutes in the playoffs then I'd be upset. But Marchenko was getting like 4-6 minutes a night right before he came over so. Not unheard of
Marchenko got twice as much ice time in the regular season...

(age -- TOI/G)

19 -- 10:14
20 -- 13:59
21 -- 11:43

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Idk but they have a new HC as Fedorov left, with whom they won b2b cups in 2022 and 2023. Last year they finished 6th in the conference, followed by 1st round exit in the playoffs.

Marchenko got twice as much ice time in the regular season...

(age -- TOI/G)

19 -- 10:14
20 -- 13:59
21 -- 11:43
Go check the Marchenko thread, there's mentions of him getting 5-6 minutes of TOI as well as being a healthy scratch.

He's a young kid in a league notorious for not giving kids time on ice and it's preseason. I'm not worried yet. He was getting close to 10 minutes of TOI through 39 games in the KHL last year.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Go check the Marchenko thread, there's mentions of him getting 5-6 minutes of TOI as well as being a healthy scratch.

He's a young kid in a league notorious for not giving kids time on ice and it's preseason. I'm not worried yet. He was getting close to 10 minutes of TOI through 39 games in the KHL last year.
No one has said they're already worried but I certainly won't be happy if his average ice time ends up being 5-6 minutes per game this season.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Sochi's season just began, Ivanov saved 35/36 shots in a 2-1 SO win against Spartak. The only goal he gave up in regulation (not sure if it got deflected off defender's stick):
Looks like he was still hugging the post a little too much, didn't make any lateral movement as he changed his angle. He took that shit from the dot and you definitely don't wanna be hugging your post from there.

Reactions: tunnelvision

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Looks like he was still hugging the post a little too much, didn't make any lateral movement as he changed his angle. He took that shit from the dot and you definitely don't wanna be hugging your post from there.
He got scored on 3 times in the 1st last night and was pulled. None of the goals I'd define as a softy but again in hindsight, I think he could have been more aggressive and not stayed so deep in the net.

Among other Otters’ players off to Camp are free agents, Dylan Edwards (Detroit), Gabriel Frasca (Dallas), Sam Alfano (Columbus) and Pano Fimis (Columbus).
PANO FIMIS – COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

One of Erie’s overage forwards, Pano Fimis gets the chance to showcase his skills for coaches at the highest level.

Fimis is off to Columbus as a free agent, looking to battle his way to a contract with the Blue Jackets. The Richmond Hill, ON. native came to Erie by way of trade two seasons ago and has been nothing short of spectacular during his time in the Flagship City. Fimis is coming off of his most complete season at the Major-Junior level, skating in all 68 games, and averaging more than a point-per-game and leading the team in scoring with 25 goals and totaling 76 points. He was also a point-per-game scorer in the postseason, his 11 points led the way for an Otters team making their return to playoff hockey.

Fimis also shines in the defensive zone, where his hockey IQ and ability to win a faceoff at crucial times really shine through. The 20 year-old has a big season on the horizon and a chance to make an impression as he begins the year at an NHL camp.
SAM ALFANO – COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

Fimis will not be the only Otter headed to Ohio’s capital city. Linemate Sam Alfano is also on his way to Blue Jackets Training Camp.

After a very strong 2023-24 season, where he scored 27 goals, good for second on the team, and racked up a total of 60 points. This was Alfano’s second season with the Otters after he was acquired from the Peterborough Petes ahead of the 2022-23 season, one where the 6’4 forward really broke out and showed what he can do under the tutelage of Stan Butler.

A true power-forward with size and strength, plus ability and willingness to go to the front of the net and have success, Alfano has an exciting year on the horizon and it all starts with Blue Jackets Camp.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Have the Blue Jackets announced their roster for the prospect tournament in Buffalo? Maybe I missed it but it starts in just a few days.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Unsurprisingly, CBJ's press release says nothing about streaming. As of now it seems that the game vs Boston won't be streamed but at least Buffalo and Ottawa games can be watched on their websites.

1726069716977.png

Last edited:
Reactions: stevo61

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Not a single European is interesting. I know they haven't drafted out of Europe much recently, but it's still interesting to see the roster laid out and they're all North Americans. Even the one that was born in Austria is a Canadian (Elick).

I expect a good game against Buffalo and domination against Ottawa and Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad