Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Stock Rising 📈

Denton Mateychuk, D, Moose Jaw Warriors (Columbus Blue Jackets)​

There might not be a more impactful player in the WHL right now than Denton Mateychuk. He’s controlled the game for years now, but he’s reached another level this season. The 15-point, nine-game stat line, alongside a nine-game point streak, speaks to that.

Mateychuk looks more patient with the puck. He draws pressure closer, feinting, spinning, and passing his way through it. Sure, there are turnovers, but his improved ability to weaponize pressure creates even more scoring chances up the rink for his team.

When the puck comes back the other way, there isn’t a better defender in the WHL. With a suffocating gap, precision stickwork, and non-committing footwork, Mateychuk kills the vast majority of rushes that target him – and many where he jumps into support.

He’s the complete package.
I hope Brown isn't exaggerating with the praises there just because they had to come up with a new stock rising/falling story.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I hope Brown isn't exaggerating with the praises there just because they had to come up with a new stock rising/falling story.
Its not too over the top from what I saw. His passing has always been top notch, he'll make seam passes or spinning back passes tape to tape routinely. He was also shutting down rush chances vs PG which was an obvious area for improvement. I dont know if he rushes as much as 2 years ago but he always gets the puck moving forward and will join a rush. The play definitely went through him on a MJ team with some pretty good players

Last edited:

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Anyone know much about Melvin Strahl (MoDo J20, G)? Those pre sunup start times are a little early for me. I see he only gave up 1 goal today and has a .901 saves% this year.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Mateychuk is so fun to watch. On the PK doing his thing and recognizing the penalty is almost over so rushes the puck up ice and creates a prime chance for a teammate. I dont know what the fancy transitions numbers say but for my eyes hes absolutely elite at moving the puck forward either through skating or finding a man in stride

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think the real question with Mateychuk-Jiricek, individually and as a pair, is WHEN not IF. I really think Mateychuk is better and really looked just as much if not more ready than Jiricek during preseason. I think injuries should be just as much of a concern with Jiricek as it is with Denton.

Mateychuk needs some upper body strength and Jiricek needs some lower body strength and we’re good to go. The way Mateychuk plays and controls the game as a “puck mover”, I could see him leading the D in minutes as soon as next year. Plays completely different than Werenski, like a smaller and BETTER Provorov. Other than Fantilli, I’m more excited about him than any other CBJ player moving forward.

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
It's a shame there's not more prospect games on CBJ days off. Saginaw played this morning and won because Lalonde didn't play.

I honestly don't see how these CHL teams stay in business when there's hardly anyone in attendance.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
For some reason there was in the summer during prospect voting. Not much now
don't think there's anything wrong with thinking that the toolsy former first-round pick would make a big jump going from a messy, unstructured, bad college team to an AHL club that has done a good job at developing defenders.

he was always gonna be a multi-year project, and it's still early for him in the AHL. just because it didn't immediately click doesn't mean that he's not still a legit prospect, albeit not a star one.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
don't think there's anything wrong with thinking that the toolsy former first-round pick would make a big jump going from a messy, unstructured, bad college team to an AHL club that has done a good job at developing defenders.

he was always gonna be a multi-year project, and it's still early for him in the AHL. just because it didn't immediately click doesn't mean that he's not still a legit prospect, albeit not a star one.
Even on messy, unstructured, bad college teams you can improve. He hasn’t improved at his weaknesses and he hasn’t really toned his strengths either.

His best tools are size and handiness. He’s a fine skater for his size, but not amazing. He’s got good offensive instincts, but again not anything special. He’s been a poor defender for years.

He was a project when drafted, and still is, but the improvement is not there and he’s a long shot to see any sustained NHL time.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Even on messy, unstructured, bad college teams you can improve. He hasn’t improved at his weaknesses and he hasn’t really toned his strengths either.
i don't disagree, but he did improve at the college level according to rick nash. the article also mentions that he started slow last year. he's six games into this season, maybe he's just a slow starter.
His best tools are size and handiness. He’s a fine skater for his size, but not amazing. He’s got good offensive instincts, but again not anything special. He’s been a poor defender for years.
i'm not saying he's going to be a top pair guy or a PP1 guy. i think his ceiling is basically Diet Damon Severson. which, for a guy picked in the mid-20s, is a good outcome.

scott wheeler went out of his way to praise ceulemans' defensive abilities/style of play and talent in a longform piece a while back. not all of the guys wheeler profiles in that series pan out, but most of them do.
He was a project when drafted, and still is, but the improvement is not there and he’s a long shot to see any sustained NHL time.
i've been saying on here that the jackets should move some of their young guys/prospects to surround the high-end ones (fantilli, jiricek, johnson mateychuk) with productive veteran support, and ceulemans is definitely one that i'd look to move. but there's enough talent there that some team will find value in his profile.

for the record, i do think columbus can develop him (that cleveland staff has done well with defensemen) but i don't see a long-term spot.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
While I am not a scout and have no idea if he will pan out as a quality NHL player, I also recognize Corson Ceulemans is just 20 years old. He's still a kid! Some fans bitch and whine and complain about the CBJ rushing players or bemoan every young player the team 'gave up on' too early and went somewhere else and had success. I see no reason to write the kid off so early in the developmental process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad