Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
You know the guy responsible for this going forward is new right?
New to what, the organization?

Not new to managing franchises.

I'm done giving people their first shot at things when it comes to major roles in this franchise.

It doesn't work.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
A lot of the current successful GMs are still in their first GM job. Do many fail? They do. But how many failures ended up as a top GM in job #2 or #3? The success stories tend to figure it out in their first opportunity. The myth that you need to have experience in the job in order to do it well is repeatedly disproven. The fact that Columbus has done a bad job identifying good GM candidates is a Columbus problem, not an indication that teams should always hire experienced GMs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Im speaking about Nash getting an eventual GM spot.

Nash is not qualified, nor should he be "developed" as if he somehow deserves that privilege.

Hah.

Now do first time hires in Columbus.

• Haha
Reactions: Napoli and CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im speaking about Nash getting an eventual GM spot.

Nash is not qualified, nor should he be "developed" as if he somehow deserves that privilege.

Hah.

Now do first time hires in Columbus.
Bro come on.

It's the new trend, more and more big name games are getting GM roles. Yzerman, Grier, Sakic, Briere, Steen...

Time will tell if it's a good idea or not.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
So we just move goalposts at will?
No goal posts are being moved.
You actually moved the goal posts if we're going that route.

No one has come here in a major role for their first time and succeeded.

You don’t know what’s he’d be qualified for in 2-3 years. People learn new skills all the time in their careers.
Some people never learn.

20+ years of piss poor franchise management of either unproven/unqualified candidates but hey it could work this time!!

Good luck with that.

Let me add, this isn't an anti Rick Nash thing. This is an anti unproven candidate first time doing a major role thing.

It hasn't worked for this franchise and it's insane there's people who still entertain the thought.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Some people never learn.

20+ years of piss poor franchise management of either unproven/unqualified candidates but hey it could work this time!!

Good luck with that.

Let me add, this isn't an anti Rick Nash thing. This is an anti unproven candidate first time doing a major role thing.

It hasn't worked for this franchise and it's insane there's people who still entertain the thought.
Who are we talking about here? The guy who just got the job with tons of experience outside of this organization or do you actually think Rick Nash is running things right now today?

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Who are we talking about here? The guy who just got the job with tons of experience outside of this organization or do you actually think Rick Nash is running things right now today?
You're defending the idea of Rick Nash being able to "learn new things" and you still don't know "who we're talking about"?

No one is saying Waddell isn't qualified.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You're defending the idea of Rick Nash being able to "learn new things" and you still don't know "who we're talking about"?

No one is saying Waddell isn't qualified.
I can't figure out why you are so certain he'll never be qualified. Of course he's not qualified today but 4-5 years down the road could be a different story once he's gets an opportunity to experience and learn things under a different GM. I don't understand why that concept is so hard to understand.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I can't figure out why you are so certain he'll never be qualified. Of course he's not qualified today but 4-5 years down the road could be a different story once he's gets an opportunity to experience and learn things under a different GM. I don't understand why that concept is so hard to understand.
It's not hard to understand.

I just don't want him to learn here, there's a difference.

Hire proven and valid candidates throughout the organization and it will improve.

It's really not a wild concept either considering the other route hasn't been going great.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

Hire proven and valid candidates throughout the organization and it will improve.

It's really not a wild concept either considering the other route hasn't been going great.

What if Waddell does great things here and Nash plays a big part of it? Still a no?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

OK, but Waddell is the first expereinced GM hire we've ever had and he's going to bring in his own coach as a part of it. They are doing new things now. Perhaps give it a chance that he might actually be a viable experienced guy to learn from.

This isn't the old CBJ doing old CBJ things.

Reactions: Napoli

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
OK, but Waddell is the first expereinced GM hire we've ever had and he's going to bring in his own coach as a part of it. They are doing new things now. Perhaps give it a chance that he might actually be a viable experienced guy to learn from.

This isn't the old CBJ doing old CBJ things.
I have faith in Waddell and will give anyone a chance but truthfully I've seen enough with first time hires in major roles.

What if Waddell does great things here and Nash plays a big part of it? Still a no?
I would happily eat crow, just don't see it happening and I rather not see that experiment.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
My issue with considering Nash to be the heir apparent for GM is not because of Nash's qualities or bona fides. I take issue with the process itself.

This would be like Calgary saying a year ago that they will draft Tij Iginla with their 1st round pick regardless of how he does as long as he's available. Sure, he might prove to be a 1st round talent. Sure, he might end up being a good player. But that's not how teams that are good run things. Good teams draft the best player available. Good teams hire the best GM candidate available. They don't play favorites and they don't forecast or make promises.

Reactions: koteka

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My issue with considering Nash to be the heir apparent for GM is not because of Nash's qualities or bona fides. I take issue with the process itself.

This would be like Calgary saying a year ago that they will draft Tij Iginla with their 1st round pick regardless of how he does as long as he's available. Sure, he might prove to be a 1st round talent. Sure, he might end up being a good player. But that's not how teams that are good run things. Good teams draft the best player available. Good teams hire the best GM candidate available. They don't play favorites and they don't forecast or make promises.
It's not like that. It's more like if the Jackets drafted Adam Fantilli with the expectation that he will become their top line center but don't immediately play him at top line center but rather sometimes at wing and other times lower in the lineup as he learns how to be a top line center.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's not like that. It's more like if the Jackets drafted Adam Fantilli with the expectation that he will become their top line center but don't immediately play him at top line center but rather sometimes at wing and other times lower in the lineup as he learns how to be a top line center.
I don't think getting Nash front office experience is the issue though. It's the idea that they will name Nash the GM at some point in the future regardless of his performance or qualifications. It would be like drafting Fantilli to be the 1C, letting him play wing and lower in the lineup to get experience, but after 2 seasons or so just promoting him to 1C regardless of if he is the most qualified person or not.

I think a competitive team would tell Nash that they won't make any promises and if he wants to be a GM then when an opening comes along he needs to be better than all the other candidates.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I don't think getting Nash front office experience is the issue though. It's the idea that they will name Nash the GM at some point in the future regardless of his performance or qualifications. It would be like drafting Fantilli to be the 1C, letting him play wing and lower in the lineup to get experience, but after 2 seasons or so just promoting him to 1C regardless of if he is the most qualified person or not.

I think a competitive team would tell Nash that they won't make any promises and if he wants to be a GM then when an opening comes along he needs to be better than all the other candidates.
How do we know Nash was promised anything? We don’t
It’s pure speculation because no one has said anything officially

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How do we know Nash was promised anything? We don’t
It’s pure speculation because no one has said anything officially
That's true. This is based upon the speculation that they're grooming Nash to be a GM in the future as well as the assumption that Columbus wouldn't then deny him the role if somebody better came along.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4