Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If you believe that JD was kept out of the hiring decision for Don Waddell, then the most likely scenario, and the one suggested in this report, is that it was Mike Priest's decision. We do know that Priest was the one who called Waddell to start the process.

Is that actually better?
To me .. yes .. especially since it seems Priest is sticking around .. better question , why is this leaking now … Jarmo or Babs getting some retribution :cool:.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
GM of the year is such a dumb award, the winner is who won the Cup

It is sort of like who won the draft. To really know, you need to wait several years. Dallas had a deep run because of smart moves made over several years (drafting Hintz, Robertson, etc, not keeping Klingberg) not because their GM made some great moves this season. Their smartest moves this season were not rushing Bichsel and Bourque.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Nothing wrong with grooming an heir apparent.
It was Nash too soon that I think rubbed everyone wrong. Tough to be the former star and then go coach or FO but I suppose there's no harm in setting course in that direction.

Reactions: LJ7 and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Nothing wrong with grooming an heir apparent.
It was Nash too soon that I think rubbed everyone wrong. Tough to be the former star and then go coach or FO but I suppose there's no harm in setting course in that direction.

I think I would have less of a problem with Cam Atkinson being groomed for an executive position than Rick Nash. I don’t see Rick Nash as a guy who will outwork the other GMs. Outworking people is something so completely foreign to the Nash I have watched that I don’t see how he can learn it so late in life.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think I would have less of a problem with Cam Atkinson being groomed for an executive position than Rick Nash. I don’t see Rick Nash as a guy who will outwork the other GMs. Outworking people is something so completely foreign to the Nash I have watched that I don’t see how he can learn it so late in life.
I find this to be a pretty strange comment, honestly.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
What? This is quite an...opinion.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...did you just stop watching him at all before Hitch came here, or something? Because this is legit baffling.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
...did you just stop watching him at all before Hitch came here, or something? Because this is legit baffling.

There is a difference between out skill and out work. There is a difference between working hard for a shift or two and consistently and constantly outworking everyone. I would say Cam Atkinson doesn’t know how not to put in the work.

Nash even gave an interview once (maybe as a Bruin) where he said he spent too much of his career not knowing how to put in the work and regretted that by the time he realized what he needed to do that his body was letting him down.

Nash doesn’t seem the type that will watch more hours of video than other GMs and uncover some fact about a player that others miss. Cam seems like he would (if he were interested in GM work). Cam is a hustler. He opened The Battery.

Working hard is a weird thing. You can think you are working hard because in your frame of reference you are. Nash might have thought he was a hard worker in Columbus (and maybe he outworked other guys in Columbus) but I have a feeling he never realized what true hard work was until he was in Boston.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There is a difference between out skill and out work. There is a difference between working hard for a shift or two and consistently and constantly outworking everyone. I would say Cam Atkinson doesn’t know how not to put in the work.

Nash even gave an interview once (maybe as a Bruin) where he said he spent too much of his career not knowing how to put in the work and regretted that by the time he realized what he needed to do that his body was letting him down.

Nash doesn’t seem the type that will watch more hours of video than other GMs and uncover some fact about a player that others miss. Cam seems like he would (if he were interested in GM work). Cam is a hustler. He opened The Battery.

Working hard is a weird thing. You can think you are working hard because in your frame of reference you are. Nash might have thought he was a hard worker in Columbus (and maybe he outworked other guys in Columbus) but I have a feeling he never realized what true hard work was until he was in Boston.
Honestly, I would see that interview as a good thing - it's indicative that it's a lesson he took to heart.

And sure, I'd prefer Cam, but he's still on the ice.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
...Perceived exertion...
I agree with what you're saying but am not sure whether it applies to Nash or not. (honestly just dont know) If true Id hope as he matured his work ethic would improve. I rarely see that but some people can finally get it. Waddell would probably see it should they spend much time together. (which they apparently will)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Honestly, I would see that interview as a good thing - it's indicative that it's a lesson he took to heart.

And sure, I'd prefer Cam, but he's still on the ice.

I am a huge fan of self reflection. But there a large difference between admitting you aren’t a hard worker and becoming a very hard worker. Voracek is an example of a guy that made the recognition earlier in his career and definitely figured out something in Philly. (I would also feel more comfortable with Voracek than Nash.) Now, Nash isn’t the worst former Jacket you could pick. I cant see Sonny Milano watching any tape other than trick shots.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I just find it odd anyone could say whether he's the right guy for a GM position or not without, ya know actually knowing someone.

Yeah sure you can catch someone's mannerisms on an interview, but it's not like that drive to win a cup stops after their playing careers stops, especially for someone who never won one.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I just find it odd anyone could say whether he's the right guy for a GM position or not without, ya know actually knowing someone.

Yeah sure you can catch someone's mannerisms on an interview, but it's not like that drive to win a cup stops after their playing careers stops, especially for someone who never won one.
To me it has to be an ownership direction. They know him, they’ve known him since he was 18 years old. He’s practically family for the McConnell’s.

They obviously needed to make a move on Jarmo, but this is probably why they wanted an older more experienced hand at the wheel rather than a guy like Darche. Telling Waddell that it’s his team for a while, but get Nash ready because we really trust him. And we trust you to get him ready.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

That isn't the GMs job, his job to put the right people in place to do that. Yeah sure he'll watch tape in meetings, but I highly doubt GMs have enough free time to sit around for hours at a time watching guys play.
I don't think Nash ever had the "drive to win the Cup".
Come on, every single NHL player has one dream growing up. That is every single hockey players ultimate fantasy...

The guy literally left Columbus because he knew he would never have a chance at a cup there..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad