Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I heard the grandson's favorite player from Canes was Kotkaniemi. :sarcasm:
THEY WILL NEVER FIND YOUR BODY
chainsaw.gif

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Didn’t think about it but something in the Pascal thread… that ownership is paying coaches and has time left on Jarmo’s contract and is still paying JD something that maybe that’s why Waddell is handling both gigs? Maybe that changes when some money comes off?

Or maybe he feels like holding both jobs gives him every opportunity to work through all aspects of the organization himself before handing some duties off?

Or maybe he’ll just always be both?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didn’t think about it but something in the Pascal thread… that ownership is paying coaches and has time left on Jarmo’s contract and is still paying JD something that maybe that’s why Waddell is handling both gigs? Maybe that changes when some money comes off?

Or maybe he feels like holding both jobs gives him every opportunity to work through all aspects of the organization himself before handing some duties off?

Possibly

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

That was a thought I had as well. We still don't the particulars of the Babcock buyout - how much the org is paying and for how long?

Jarmo is/was under contract through '24-'25. JD's went through '25-'26. I'm sure Waddell got a pay bump from what he was making in Carolina.

I'm not sure ownership is necessarily "cheap" but the budget for non-player payroll can't be endless either.

I could see him getting a green light to hire a GM next summer when Jarmo comes off the books if he wants.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That was a thought I had as well. We still don't the particulars of the Babcock buyout - how much the org is paying and for how long?

Jarmo is/was under contract through '24-'25. JD's went through '25-'26. I'm sure Waddell got a pay bump from what he was making in Carolina.

I'm not sure ownership is necessarily "cheap" but the budget for non-player payroll can't be endless either.

I could see him getting a green light to hire a GM next summer when Jarmo comes off the books if he wants.

Edit: Well maybe not..that just shows the players they signed lol

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

He talks about free agency upcoming and not the first time I've heard him say that. I don't think he's going to be afraid to be active at the draft and in UFA.

He did also say at the end that July 1 scares him because a lot of the worst deals are made on July 1 and he doesn't want to be a part of that.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

He talks about free agency upcoming and not the first time I've heard him say that. I don't think he's going to be afraid to be active at the draft and in UFA.

He did also say at the end that July 1 scares him because a lot of the worst deals are made on July 1 and he doesn't want to be a part of that.

Thanks for posting this! It moved me from the "I have no idea if this is a good hire or not" camp into a fairly optimistic view of the hire.

A few take-a-ways:

1) Seems like a straightforward man. Says he wants the honest opinions of others on staff-even if they disagree with him. A lot of managers say this, but many don't really follow this/mean this. My impression of Waddell is that he is genuine about this. Given what has been said about the way he managed in Carolina, he seems like a consensus guy who is willing to overrule if he has a very strong opinion-which is how I think a good manager should be.

2) A bit of an offshoot of #1. Waddell really doesn't seem have the need to be the smartest guy in the room. He isn't the type who feels the need to re-invent the wheel. He won't complicate a steel ball. He'll be able to set parameters for decision making, but be able to adjust if need be. Not the type to be beholden to the "game plan" at all costs.

3) Elvis will get another year to turn it around. Waddell said that he tried to trade for him several years ago and mentioned Elvis' "personal life" and the need to provide the resources to address that. So, it seems to me that he thinks that the tragic death of Kivlenieks could still be the cause of his abysmal play. He mentioned that at some point you have to "turn the page". So it's pretty clear that it's "Now or Never" for Elvis.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
3) Elvis will get another year to turn it around. Waddell said that he tried to trade for him several years ago and mentioned Elvis' "personal life" and the need to provide the resources to address that. So, it seems to me that he thinks that the tragic death of Kivlenieks could still be the cause of his abysmal play. He mentioned that at some point you have to "turn the page". So it's pretty clear that it's "Now or Never" for Elvis.
Many people here are ready to burn Elvis at the stake as being the sole source of issues. Maybe they are right. Maybe they are way off but I'd like to think Waddell is going to keep an open mind into seeing all sides of everything and finding an honest assessment and deal with it fairly. There are 2 sides to every disagreement and very rarely is one side completely right.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Maybe

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know why Waddell is doing a press tour talking about what he'll do in Columbus when he's only a few hours into evaluating the team.

This is the guy that supposedly works well with good advice from those working under him. So I hope he doesn't get backed into saying anything that he can't walk back later when the FO really gets to work.

Reactions: CBJx614

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
That's worrying. One or two moves, okay...half a dozen or more...that's too much.
new faces /= trades and signing. Example: Mateychuk isn't new face to the franchise, but is new face to the NHL. Knazko, DBB, Ceulemans all guys who would be new faces in the NHL next year. Yes some guys may be moved out, but that doesn't guys have to come in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad