Proposal: Cayden Primeau to Edmonton

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Dobes has 51 AHL games under his belt. I think he's promising, and he had a decent camp this year. I don't think he's ready to play 25-30 NHL games. Give him another full year in Laval as the #1.

Primeau is in the last year of his deal. RFA. There's no rush to walk away from Primeau.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I just don't see Primeau as filling a need for Edmonton...
And a 2nd is likely more than he's worth, though if a team really likes him and has a need, you never know.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Habs could probably get a 4th or 5th at best for him unless he plays out of his mind in a platoon this season. Rushing Dobes seems like a colossally stupid idea just so Montreal could get a mid round pick for Primeau. They've managed to build a goalie pipeline that appears solid I don't see any reason to mess with that

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Montréal has good ol' Monty as our starter, and Dobes feel like he's ready too.
And we have Fowler coming up in a couple of years

Primeau was solid last year but he feels like the odd man this time around

Primeau for a 2nd? Interested?
makes absolutely zero sense for Montreal to trade a young goaltender for a low 2nd when they already have 7 picks in the 1st 3 rounds in June.
Edm is also not going to give that return.
Dobes is only in his 2nd pro year and needs to play. He shouldn't be a backup this year and Fowler is a minimum 3 years away.
This is not a trade montreal is making

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
makes absolutely zero sense for Montreal to trade a young goaltender for a low 2nd when they already have 7 picks in the 1st 3 rounds in June.
Dobes is only in his 2nd pro year and needs to play. He shouldn't be a backup this year and Fowler is a minimum 3 years away.
I think he could realistically be in Laval next season and Monty's backup in 2 years tbh

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Edm is also not going to give that return.

I for sure would do it, and the Habs should also do it IMO

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
From an Oilers POV, I would decline. Based on their AHL stats, I can't see that much of a difference between Primeau and Rodrigue. I'd give him a shot before utilizing a 2nd on a goalie who isn't a clear upgrade.
AHL stats aren't directly comparable because divisions are region locked. There's a lot less conference vs conference play than the NHL. Laval plays in the most funded AHL division and conference for AHL vets.

Oilers do need a real starter too though not magic beans.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Only thing I like here is that it gets dobes to NHL. However .. he's probably a year away and am happy if he gets a few callous when injuries happen.

As an oil fan...I'd rather target guys like vejmelka or vanecek as Pickard upgrades. But I have a glaring bias.

Despite a meh preseason.. I do think Rodrigue is going to be a very good NHL goalie for the Oil

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
AHL stats aren't directly comparable because divisions are region locked. There's a lot less conference vs conference play than the NHL. Laval plays in the most funded AHL division and conference for AHL vets.

Oilers do need a real starter too though not magic beans.

Still doesn't make sense for the Oilers to spend a second round pick on a player that hasn't shown much at the NHL level instead of giving Rodrigue a shot if it's decided that Skinner is not the answer.

Reactions: spaghtti

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Prim6au did not have a good debut. Why would Edmonton want this mediocre backup? Pickard is better than this.
They could use a better starter than Skinner, but that ain't Prim6au.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Prim6au did not have a good debut. Why would Edmonton want this mediocre backup? Pickard is better than this.
They could use a better starter than Skinner, but that ain't Prim6au.

Primeau was f***ing terrible yesterday yes

Hopefully it's just one game but yeah, yikes!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Nobody ever trade a #1 proven goalie

It doesn't happen, unless in extremely rare occasions aka the Bob Trade
It has happened loads of times in the salary cap era alone. Some names include Bob, Schneider, Varlamov, Luongo, Roloson, Andersen, Anderson, Ullmark, Allen, Kuemper, Fleury.

Some of those had limited experience (e.g. Anderson), but many of them had years of experience being a #1 goalie. They just happened to be getting older or have a younger goalie ready to take over.

It's not like a #1C. If a starting goalie is performing well, but not like a top 5 goalie, he's pretty replaceable, especially if you're not going to compete any time soon.

That being said, this sounds like an obvious overpay for a Habs player proposed on the trade forum, so I give it like an 90% chance of happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad