Berube // North <-> South // Coaching Systems // Elitism

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I watched TOR over the last couple games, and I must admit that I am watching with some discomfort. So weird seeing opportunistic scoring, pucks flicked out into the neutral zone, heavy forechecking, down low plays, etc.

How do you feel about the change so far? It certainly looks like cookies are going to be hard to come by.

Wild start, but I like the defensive structure.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I watched TOR over the last couple games, and I must admit that I am watching with some discomfort. So weird seeing opportunistic scoring, pucks flicked out into the neutral zone, heavy forechecking, down low plays, etc.

How do you feel about the change so far? It certainly looks like cookies are going to be hard to come by.

Hard to judge, they generated a ton in the first game against a bad team but couldn't score, didn't generate much against New Jersey, a better term, and won with 4 goals...

Defensively they look good, but goaltending has bailed them out a few times too.

Some players have looked bad (might just be adjusting), and some players have looked good but may look worse as time goes on and the games become more structured.

It is very hard to get a feel of how well this team will do in a new structure yet.

Reactions: kevsh

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Same as above, but just want to point out there is a WHOLE lot of East/West still going on. So either some players haven't adjusted yet or they haven't tried to adjust, yet.

The key will be if Berube gets a full buy-in from the stars. Are they willing to forego 40/50/60+ goal/100 point seasons and personal (regular season) awards to convert to a playoffs-focused "defense first" system? And if not, who blinks first?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Same as above, but just want to point out there is a WHOLE lot of East/West still going on. So either some players haven't adjusted yet or they haven't tried to adjust, yet.

The key will be if Berube gets a full buy-in from the stars. Are they willing to forego 40/50/60+ goal/100 point seasons and personal (regular season) awards to convert to a playoffs-focused "defense first" system? And if not, who blinks first?
Like Col, Pitt, TB and a slew of teams, you nto be able to play both styles.

So it will be a lot more North/South but Berube is not going to get rifmd of all the East/West.

He should and probably will on the PP, but he won't try and nueter Nylander's creative side

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Why the hell would this style cause you discomfort?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad