Player Discussion: Cayden Lindstrom

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Excited to see what Lindstrom can do, and hoping he can stay healthy. I would have leaned to Demidov, but acknowledge the scouting staff has more information than I do. At the end of the day I'm a Jackets fan, so I hope this kid lights the league on fire!
Live viewing probably sunk that ship to start. The Habs I am pretty sure still have a Russian scout but we don't. This isn't a LOL BLUE JACKETS BAD LOL MICKEY MOUSE ORGANIZATION many teams have pulled scouts out of Russia as the political situation continues to worsen over there and feel like its not in their best interest with a potentially deteriorating situation over there.

Reactions: Marioesque

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Kinda shocked how he's already considered a bust by a fair portion of the social media community on reddit/twitter. There is legit a poster on reddit I am pretty sure is having a nervous meltdown over this pick.

At the end of the day all these kids are lotto picks and he checks off ALOT of boxes if he hits (and personally I has been a favorite for me the past few monhts)
Yeah, I can understand being upset if you’re an Anaheim fan (and who knows, maybe they’ll be right and Sennecke will be the best of the 3-4-5 trio, though I really doubt it), but really not sure how/why any CBJ fan would think this is “sky is falling”. I preferred Lindstrom (explained why in the NHL Draft thread, not gonna rehash) but even if you wanted Demidov, I could see being slightly disappointed, but wouldn’t understand thinking Lindstrom will bust or throwing tantrum over it.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Yeah, I can understand being upset if you’re an Anaheim fan (and who knows, maybe they’ll be right and Sennecke will be the best of the 3-4-5 trio, though I really doubt it), but really not sure how/why any CBJ fan would think this is “sky is falling”. I preferred Lindstrom (explained why in the NHL Draft thread, not gonna rehash) but even if you wanted Demidov, I could see being slightly disappointed, but wouldn’t understand thinking Lindstrom will bust or throwing tantrum over it.
If you want to see something amusing go look at our subreddit. There are people legit calling him a bust because of his back, he will never be the same, will miss 80% of his games, we need to go all in and give someone like Lindholm an 8x7 because they don't want to wait 2-3 years for a center who will never play, ect. Like its one thing to be disappointed in not getting your preferred guy (Demidov) but this is legit heading into Lindstrom killed my dog territory. There is no less than 3 active threads about it what we have and most of the posts are "well that's nice but he's a cripple" basically.

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
If you want to see something amusing go look at our subreddit. There are people legit calling him a bust because of his back, he will never be the same, will miss 80% of his games, we need to go all in and give someone like Lindholm an 8x7 because they don't want to wait 2-3 years for a center who will never play, ect. Like its one thing to be disappointed in not getting your preferred guy (Demidov) but this is legit heading into Lindstrom killed my dog territory. There is no less than 3 active threads about it what we have and most of the posts are "well that's nice but he's a cripple" basically.

I trust the medical staff and experts consulted by Columbus more than random people on the internet, that's for sure.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I trust the medical staff and experts consulted by Columbus more than random people on the internet, that's for sure.
And also, Carolina was trying to trade up to take him (I suspect Philly and especially Chicago were targeting Demidov), and Montreal had great interest as well. I’m sure we’re not the only team who gave him passing grades.

I’m happy to see he said he’s fully recovered and doing on and off ice workouts. I’m hoping there’s no restrictions for development camp.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Of course it's reddit, so most people comment without reading, but there is a link in the second one to some amazing in depth statistical analysis.

You might recall this from Mitch Brown's tracking:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F01329ad7-c3dd-4b6b-84c2-48fe7dbc754e_497x614.png

There's a lot more analysis on top of that:

What the Blue Jackets Have in Cayden Lindstrom

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
so when I’ve read about his weaknesses (aside from the back, I’m not going to talk about that) the thing I hear most is hockey IQ and playmaking/passing ability.

Is he capable of improving the hockey IQ with more game time? Even his coach said he didn’t expect to see Lindstrom improve so quickly. Perhaps his passing game could come around too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
so when I’ve read about his weaknesses (aside from the back, I’m not going to talk about that) the thing I hear most is hockey IQ and playmaking/passing ability.

Is he capable of improving the hockey IQ with more game time? Even his coach said he didn’t expect to see Lindstrom improve so quickly. Perhaps his passing game could come around too.

Hopefully we'll have time to share some video soon and can talk more concretely about some of his plays. But I'll say for now that I don't think either of those things are weaknesses. He's very well rounded. They're just not quite strengths yet.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And also, Carolina was trying to trade up to take him (I suspect Philly and especially Chicago were targeting Demidov), and Montreal had great interest as well. I’m sure we’re not the only team who gave him passing grades.

I’m happy to see he said he’s fully recovered and doing on and off ice workouts. I’m hoping there’s no restrictions for development camp.
Philly wanted him as well. They were pushing for centers and he's was their top pick.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
His back is clearly not an issue if they wanted him at #2. It's a good pick with high potential. I'm sure people will settle down with the reactions when they see him at dev camp.

Only isssue is that skipping on Demidov could end up looking ugly, since his offensive potential is on another level. Productionwise Kreider vs Kaprizov type of deal

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Not going to pretend I'm an expert on Lindstrom's playmaking abilities yet but I recommend to check out the article majormajor shared, it's a good read with some interesting video material at the bottom:

A must watch for Jackets fans if we take Basha in round 2:

Reactions: majormajor
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
from Hedger in the Columbus Dogpatch

"Waddell even felt that one of the proposals was good enough to accept if Lindstrom wasn’t available to draft.

It was a backup option.

“We had a deal that we would’ve taken if Cayden wasn’t available, but he was available.,” Waddell said. “So, I sent the text right away. They said, ‘Are you keeping your pick?’ I said, ‘Absolutely.’ I wouldn’t have wanted to trade ahead of time and our player’s still sitting there. When you’re in a draft and you want somebody, don’t pass up that opportunity. Get him.”

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
from Hedger in the Columbus Dogpatch

"Waddell even felt that one of the proposals was good enough to accept if Lindstrom wasn’t available to draft.

It was a backup option.

“We had a deal that we would’ve taken if Cayden wasn’t available, but he was available.,” Waddell said. “So, I sent the text right away. They said, ‘Are you keeping your pick?’ I said, ‘Absolutely.’ I wouldn’t have wanted to trade ahead of time and our player’s still sitting there. When you’re in a draft and you want somebody, don’t pass up that opportunity. Get him.”

Which means that they were never taking Demidov.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Is he projected to remain in the WHL next season? That would be my guess.

If the CBJ turned down a potential 1OA trade with Chicago they must be very high on the kid AND have little reason to be concerned about long term back issues.

His stock rose greatly this season. I'd think they'd expect him to be a 60-80 points power type forward/center. This team definitely needs an abrasive highly skilled player up front. Fantilli is probably this type but one is not enough. Looks like a "hard to play against" team is the Waddell model based on this pick.

Like any draft pick other than the McDavids of the world, there's a ton of risk in anyone. This guy could be a solid 15 year NHL player borderline All Star or All Star or a "who did they draft in 2024 in the first round" type from what I've read. I don't get Superstar vibes from the info I've seen or the limited video that I've watched. Seems to fit in the "team building" mode and not the highest ceiling player who was available at the 4 spot in the draft.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Of course redditors are terrified of his back, that site does the exact same thing with lifting and fitness. They're always talking about how every exercise is scary and harmful, etc, and those are the ones that post in fitness circles! That site widely believes the human body is far more fragile than it is.

I'm not worried at all about his health personally. This is pure anecdote but I had low back problems at ages 17-19 on and off. I remember being 18 and struggling to get up off of chairs and couches, with some sciatic pain. At the time I played tennis and did not lift, thinking that lifting was not possible with my jacked up back. Eventually I thought screw it, my back already hurts so I have nothing to lose so I'm just going to lift and see what happens. Fast forward to now and my back feels 100% pain free and I'm deadlifting over 600 lbs. My process was purely from online research and trial and error, so my thinking is Lindstrom can almost certainly overcome his issues with the assistance of actual professional experts. They already are proactively adjusting his mechanics, he feels good now, and backs aren't as fragile as people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad