Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If I'm Mitts, there is no way I'm taking less than the Cozens deal. Why would I take less than my teammate who plays the same position if I'm performing just as well as him? The time to get a bargain was over the offseason (which Mitts may have been betting on himself anyway and not looking for a contract then).
Mittelstadt is 2 years and a few months older than Cozens, and Cozens put up a better season pts wise than Mitts ever has, so there is the justification for a lesser contract. OTOH, if Mittelstadt keeps this pace (which I think he can) and Cozens continues to struggle it could make for some leverage. Even still, 6-ish mil is probably the best AAV he could hope for, up or down that scale depending on the term. More importantly though, is that he probably wants to stay and be around long-term, with room left to improve. Having a top-three locked in would be good.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If I'm Mitts, there is no way I'm taking less than the Cozens deal. Why would I take less than my teammate who plays the same position if I'm performing just as well as him? The time to get a bargain was over the offseason (which Mitts may have been betting on himself anyway and not looking for a contract then).
I'd ultimately defer to the coaching staff but I have no problem giving him Cozens deal, or more. I don't believe there is an internal cap, and I don't think Tage and Cozens look at it like that regardless. Those two got a windfall and seem more than happy, they signed during the era when the cap wasn't going up and understood the potential drawbacks.

If we don't pay up for Casey, we're...I don't even want to go there. We've all seen that kind of thing play out. I'm actually pretty sure we're going to re-up him if he's anywhere near reasonable with his demands.

Reactions: debaser66

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I also thing 6x6 would probably be a bargain, I see no implications with the other prospect because they have to first prove they can do what he does and unless they are we need players like Mitts if you want to get anywhere near the playoffs. He can produce and he can play D (not like Cozens or Thompson who still need to learn that aspect of the game) and he is winning his battles, he only needs to improve his faceoff skills.

it seems to me that posters who advocate of trading him or jumping the ship now that he will get paid are more patient that I am because I don't want to wait another 3 years for any of the other prospects to reach his level if they ever will.
I want to see some playoff hockey!

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
His cap increase would be covered by VO coming off the books next year for at least the short term

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s such an interesting situation. Not just because Mittelstadt has developed into what you drafted…but because of all the people you’ve drafted since then. Whatever happens has major ripple effects on a lot of things. He’s been playing at a level for a long stretch now that you end up hoping that someone else gets to years down the line. Perhaps the lesson of how long it took Mitts (and Tage) will persuade them to lean towards locking him up long term. But then other moves become needed sooner than later. I just don’t see them weakening themselves by starting over at his spot with a younger player who probably has the same growing pains. Take the known.

We’re not just talking about a guy who’s been good for a while…he’s been their best forward for like 25 games now. You might still get a deal on him if you can lock him up at the rate of very good forward. but time is running out and he has little incentive to sign anything right now.

But there are so many factors. Not only his development and consistency but that of a half a dozen prospects, what you can get in trade for him and/or the guy(s) whose spot he completely blocks if you sign him.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It’s such an interesting situation. Not just because Mittelstadt has developed into what you drafted…but because of all the people you’ve drafted since then. Whatever happens has major ripple effects on a lot of things. He’s been playing at a level for a long stretch now that you end up hoping that someone else gets to years down the line. Perhaps the lesson of how long it took Mitts (and Tage) will persuade them to lean towards locking him up long term. But then other moves become needed sooner than later. I just don’t see them weakening themselves by starting over at his spot with a younger player who probably has the same growing pains. Take the known.

We’re not just talking about a guy who’s been good for a while…he’s been their best forward for like 25 games now. You might still get a deal on him if you can lock him up at the rate of very good forward. but time is running out and he has little incentive to sign anything right now.

But there are so many factors. Not only his development and consistency but that of a half a dozen prospects, what you can get in trade for him and/or the guy(s) whose spot he completely blocks if you sign him.
I mean, you gotta sign him, right? 6x6 would be great. Frankly, he may regularly take the 2C spot and push Cozens to the wing. Not ideal for Cozens contract but maybe that's where you get the most out of him. As for Casey, he's our most well rounded forward and toughest to play against night in and night out. I don't see a situation where they don't sign him long term.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I mean, you gotta sign him, right? 6x6 would be great. Frankly, he may regularly take the 2C spot and push Cozens to the wing. Not ideal for Cozens contract but maybe that's where you get the most out of him. As for Casey, he's our most well rounded forward and toughest to play against night in and night out. I don't see a situation where they don't sign him long term.
I think signing him would be a no brainer except you have so little control over his term and dollars. If he doesn’t want to sign something…he isn’t far away from walking. He holds a lot more cards than a Cozens or Power did. Dahlin held more cards too and he got exactly what he wanted. He would be in a similar situation to Tage had they signed him this past offseason. Every game it looks more and more like he‘s going to be what happened if we had waited on Tage and his breakout was real. Which gets a whole lot more expensive.

The Tage deal helps them some by providing a fair upper limit for forward contracts. But he’s sure looking like he’s going to be able to ask for it at the end of this season. The offense isn’t even going yet on the team. But he still is.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think signing him would be a no brainer except you have so little control over his term and dollars. If he doesn’t want to sign something…he isn’t far away from walking. He holds a lot more cards than a Cozens or Power did. Dahlin held more cards too and he got exactly what he wanted. He would be in a similar situation to Tage had they signed him this past offseason. Every game it looks more and more like he‘s going to be what happened if we had waited on Tage and his breakout was real. Which gets a whole lot more expensive.

The Tage deal helps them some by providing a fair upper limit for forward contracts. But he’s sure looking like he’s going to be able to ask for it at the end of this season. The offense isn’t even going yet on the team. But he still is.
That's true. I think he wants to be here but he's earned everything he's going to get. I hate to say it but I'm sure they'll know by February what he's looking for. Worst case is they get a bundle for him.

I can't imagine they'll skippidydoodah to the summer and then address the situation. You, my friend, may have a different opinion of management but that would be a blatant pant shi++ing

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Marek tells the story in today's 32 Thoughts how Buffalo's 2017 pick was supposed to be Necas, but an "audible was called" and they selected Mittelstadt.

Starting at 24:00

Reactions: Dingo44

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
At this point you're looking at 7m+, right? A strong two-way C who can fill in anywhere and is looking like he'll fall in that 70+ point range. Yeah, there's a lot of value for guys like that. They have a profound impact on the game.

Anyone have any recent signings that are a good comparable?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
At this point you're looking at 7m+, right? A strong two-way C who can fill in anywhere and is looking like he'll fall in that 70+ point range. Yeah, there's a lot of value for guys like that. They have a profound impact on the game.

Anyone have any recent signings that are a good comparable?
I don't think Mitts asks for more than what Tage and Cozens are making, but I also don't think he takes much less.

Comps are honestly all over the map and highly influenced by individual circumstances.

PLD - 8.5
Cirelli - 6.5
Zacha - 4.75

Due just to the internal team salary structure, 7~ ish feels about right.

Reactions: joshjull

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Hope you don’t mind a Wild fan stopping by on Game day, just catching up on Casey a bit, I’ve always been a huge fan, I think I had a few posts about him in topic #1.

To this day I have never seen a better stretch of dekes, at any level of hockey, as I witnessed this player perform as a senior in high school. Unfortunately he rang the post with his shot so it didn’t even make it into the 1 minute highlight video archives but I still clearly see it in my head to this day.

Section Finals at Mariucci arena (UM gophers rink) in front of a packed crowd, tie game to advance to the state tournament, the whole reason he stayed in school with his teammates is on the line. Receives a pass in stride at his own blue line, bursts up the middle, been shadowed by two guys all night, series of 6 perfectly executed micro touches with the puck across back hand forehand just as the defenders are leaning and he has both of them turning 360 degrees opposite direction of each other and falling down, one defender left to go at the opposing blue line and it’s a one handed backhand drag through his own legs and he’s in the clear and on his forehand. Snipes the short side high post.

The crowd reaction was telling and memorable, these are his schoolmates, family and people who have watched him for years, and you could hear audible gasps over what he did, most of the crowd just went quiet, I remember people looking around like “did that just happen?” I was one of them.
For a visualization, think of the Rick Nash goal with the double deke, imagine adding Connor McDavid smoothness and speed to it, and there’s 3 guys instead of two and that’s a rough comparable for the level.

His innate creativity as a junior player was phenomenal, in that category alone, he graded out on par with Draisaitl and Vanek for me, and it’s a “trait” I value highly. I believe I mentioned there was some Datsyuk in this player and with time and the needed physical development, I am glad he has found a strong role for himself. If his speed differential was the same against the best in the world as it was against junior players, he may have been truly great.

Sorry for the long story… rant… whatever you want to call it, hope that you all can enjoy this players career in the NHL, it’s a very hard league physically, best in the world for a reason, but he brings something unique to the sport in my opinion.

Last edited:

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Hope you don’t mind a Wild fan stopping by on Game day, just catching up on Casey a bit, I’ve always been a huge fan, I think I had a few posts about him in topic #1.

To this day I have never seen a better stretch of dekes, at any level of hockey, as I witnessed this player perform as a senior in high school. Unfortunately he rang the post with his shot so it didn’t even make it into the 1 minute highlight video archives but I still clearly see it in my head to this day.

Section Finals at Mariucci arena (UM gophers rink) in front of a packed crowd, tie game to advance to the state tournament, the whole reason he stayed in school with his teammates is on the line. Receives a pass in stride at his own blue line, bursts up the middle, been shadowed by two guys all night, series of 6 perfectly executed micro touches with the puck across back hand forehand just as the defenders are leaning and he has both of them turning 360 degrees opposite direction of each other and falling down, one defender left to go at the opposing blue line and it’s a one handed backhand drag through his own legs and he’s in the clear and on his forehand. Snipes the short side high post.

The crowd reaction was telling and memorable, these are his schoolmates, family and people who have watched him for years, and you could hear audible gasps over what he did, most of the crowd just went quiet, I remember people looking around like “did that just happen?” I was one of them.
For a visualization, think of the Rick Nash goal with the double deke, imagine adding Connor McDavid smoothness and speed to it, and there’s 3 guys instead of two and that’s a rough comparable for the level.

His innate creativity as a junior player was phenomenal, in that category alone, he graded out on par with Draisaitl and Vanek for me, and it’s a “trait” I value highly. I believe I mentioned there was some Datsyuk in this player and with time and the needed physical development, I am glad he has found a strong role for himself. If his speed differential was the same against the best in the world as it was against junior players, he may have been truly great.

Sorry for the long story… rant… whatever you want to call it, hope that you all can enjoy this players career in the NHL, it’s a very hard league physically, best in the world for a reason, but he brings something unique to the sport in my opinion.
thanks for stopping by and the insight!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah he’s gonna get paid. He has become what they drafted. Got through all the setbacks of worst timing injuries and a couple years of being saddled with leftover forwards…and now…well..he’s gonna get

We aren’t in a position to move out a guy playing at this level. Contract will be interesting because you’re going to want five years and thats going to be tough to get. But it would be perfect.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
I'm not seeing Mitts as 7 million per year player. Not a chance lol.. Giving Mitts 7/49 is an overpay

I could get down with a 5 million AAV salary for Mitts maybe over 5-6 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad