Value of: Carey Price brokered to Colorado or Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I just see since Gorton got to Montreal maybe trying to move Price. Everyone saying Price at 5mill multiple times.

I was wondering if a bottom team looking to pick up a pick would do it. Yes for multiple years but maybe like a 2nd while the Habs get the 1st part of the big trade.

Montreal retains 35%. 3rd team retains 35% of the 7,350,000. Bringing it to a total of 4,777,500.

Montreal

1st
Kuemper
Prospect

Or

1st
Koskinen
Prospect

3rd team

2nd round pick + Prospect

Colorado or Edmonton

Price at 4,777,500

I know there was a thread earlier about it being a rumor. I not saying this could happen. Just going on the hunch of LeBrun saying these two who are cup favorites could really use him. They only have the glaring need in net for the most part.

Not even saying it'd happen but they idea of Price brokered to them a number that works is intriguing.

3 sides can win out of this.

Last edited:

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Has any team other then the team the current player plays for ever retained that much salary for that long?

Pretty sure the answer is no. If a team even entertains it they are admitting they arent competing for 5 years and while that is doubtful the cost would be ridiculous.

Reactions: abo9 and Ciao

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Has any team other then the team the current player plays for ever retained that much salary for that long?

Pretty sure the answer is no. If a team even entertains it they are admitting they arent competing for 5 years and while that is doubtful the cost would be ridiculous.
It would be 2.6mill for the remainder of the contract.

I see maybe a team like Buffalo being in that position. Lots of cap space. It's been fully torn down. They get futures. The cap won't hurt them and they get assets while giving up nothing thay hurts them in the short term.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Price comes at 50% the return should be huge. If Habs takes a bad contract with that kind its a big meh
He'll still be 34, have significant health concerns, and have a contract running to 2026. And will be riding on last years playoff run to recuperate his quality of play from the past few regular seasons. If Montreal makes his cap hit actually viable he should get a decent return IMO -- but I don't think any team in the league is giving up a "huge" package for a 34 year old goalie that comes with baggage.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Ok so satisfy the Habs at half for 5 years
Satisfy third team for 5 years
Now satisfy acquiring team to be okay with Carey going forward

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I just see since Gorton got to Montreal maybe trying to move Price. Everyone saying Price at 5mill multiple times.

I was wondering if a bottom team looking to pick up a pick would do it. Yes for multiple years but maybe like a 2nd while the Habs get the 1st part of the big trade.

Montreal retains 35%. 3rd team retains 35% of the 7,350,000. Bringing it to a total of 4,777,500.

Montreal

1st
Kuemper
Prospect

Or

1st
Koskinen
Prospect

3rd team

2nd round pick + Prospect

Colorado or Edmonton

Price at 4,777,500

I know there was a thread earlier about it being a rumor. I not saying this could happen. Just going on the hunch of LeBrun saying these two who are cup favorites could really use him. They only have the glaring need in net for the most part.

Not even saying it'd happen but they idea of Price brokered to them a number that works is intriguing.

3 sides can win out of this.

A) Your math looks off on retention cap hits.

B) Under your proposal the third team is using a salary retention slot for 4.5+ years and paying $8m+ dead money and cap to Price. A 2nd + prospect is nowhere near enough value. That’s pushing two 1st round picks worth of value. Minimum a 1st + 2nd pick.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Retaining so much as $1 Canadian lock up one of three retention slots for four years. Should cost a pretty penny from the Habsburg and/or a facilitator.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No goalie at his age in the history of hockey is worth the kind of return it would require for another team to retain that kind of salary over term.

It would cost multiple high end assets and in the end you're getting a player whose best years are likely behind them.

Goaltenders simply aren't that valuable.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
No goalie at his age in the history of hockey is worth the kind of return it would require for another team to retain that kind of salary over term.

It would cost multiple high end assets and in the end you're getting a player whose best years are likely behind them.

Goaltenders simply aren't that valuable.
Yeah, that kinda seems to be the crux of the problem. If the Canadians do something like retain $4 million over the next 5 seasons it's understandable they'd want an absolutely top return. I get that from their fans' perspective. And yet the receiving team is going to be looking at that...and even with ~$4 million retained Carey Price is the 4th-5th highest paid goaltender in the league. And 34 with significant health concerns...and frankly hasn't maintained a consistently elite record for the past few seasons. So yeah, they'd pay something good for that, but there's no way it's some amazing group of assets that Montreal fans would apparently want if they are going to saddle themselves with significant dead money. A 34 year old with baggage who still remains a ~top 5 highest paid player at his position just doesn't fetch that.

His current contract is just awful.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, that kinda seems to be the crux of the problem. If the Canadians do something like retain $4 million over the next 5 seasons it's understandable they'd want an absolutely top return. I get that from their fans' perspective. And yet the receiving team is going to be looking at that...and even with ~$4 million retained Carey Price is the 4th-5th highest paid goaltender in the league. And 34 with significant health concerns...and frankly hasn't maintained a consistently elite record for the past few seasons. So yeah, they'd pay something good for that, but there's no way it's some amazing group of assets that Montreal fans would apparently want if they are going to saddle themselves with significant dead money. A 34 year old with baggage who still remains a ~top 5 highest paid player at his position just doesn't fetch that.

His current contract is just awful.
You can say that again. I never realized that it was buyout-proof. That contract is a poison pill.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Avs44

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
As one Avs fan (I say one because we don't share the same brain). I'd consider this:

Girard + Jost + Compher

for

Price 50% retained + Guhle + Lehkonen + Chiarot

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Yeah there's no way Colorado does that.

I don't know. It depends on their assessment of Price vs Kuemper. Since they gave up a lot to get Kuemper (as underwhelming as he's been), it's entirely possible/likely that it's ride or die with Kuemper. But if they estimate Price to be more proven and reliable in games that matter, they may bite the bullet.

In this scenario, Montreal gets the best player and best contract (Girard) in the long run. But it has hedges to offset that with Jost for Lehkonen and Chiarot for Compher.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
As one Avs fan (I say one because we don't share the same brain). I'd consider this:

Girard + Jost + Compher

for

Price 50% retained + Guhle + Lehkonen + Chiarot

Montreal isn't going to want to give up Guhle and retain 50% for Girard, and I have no interest in gambling the whole Avs' future on Price.

If he doesn't bounce back or his play falls off a cliff, he's an untradeable contract that we're stuck with during Mack's prime.

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Montreal isn't going to want to give up Guhle and retain 50% for Girard, and I have no interest in gambling the whole Avs' future on Price.

If he doesn't bounce back or his play falls off a cliff, he's an untradeable contract that we're stuck with during Mack's prime.

Well, I dont think anything youve said isn't sensible. But a lot of it comes down to Price vs Kuemper. Pierce took issue with this on the main board too. I don't necessarily disagree. I think it's possibly/likely ride or die with Kuemper considering what they gave up to get him. And the Avs often take the long view and let things play out. So I'm not necessarily anticipating they'll pivot from Kuemper and go after Price. But in the scenario that they do, this is what I think is fair on both sides.

Montreal doesn't want to give up Guhle. But guess what, I don't want to give up Girard. In this Girard is the best player and the best contract. Price might fall off a cliff. But since Montreal is on the precupice of a rebuild, that's less important to them than the Avs. But there needs to be hedging to make this fair for both sides.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
It would be 2.6mill for the remainder of the contract.

I see maybe a team like Buffalo being in that position. Lots of cap space. It's been fully torn down. They get futures. The cap won't hurt them and they get assets while giving up nothing thay hurts them in the short term.

If Buffalo retains that much money for that long it would be to get rid of Skinner.

Plus as an owner spending 13 million in retention you need a guaranteed home run. Picks and anything short of a can't miss prospect isn't going to cut it. Late 1st rounders aren't going to cut it.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Your reasons are compelling. Thanks for the flaky, superficial drive by.
I'd assume he's laughing because that is awful. Girard is in no way shape or form worth that return as neither of the other two pieces of any interest apart from the video game trade worth slider. Girard for Price at 50% is far more reasonable than your proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad