Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think it has to be said that returns must be expected to be modest.

The closest trade comparison another poster could come up with in a long, well-thought post, was of Luongo for Markstrom (who seemed a stalled prospect) and Shawn Mattias.

I'd suggest Colorado might offer Jost, Kuemper and a pick of some kind (2nd rounder maybe).

I imagine Edmonton might offer one or two of Niemelainen, Foegele or McLeod, a goalie and a pick.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What's your best offer?

Absolutely love him, but wouldn't trade you anything for him. Wings still have a ways to go to actually be competitive and we've got Nedeljkovic who's good for right now and Cossa is coming in a couple years. So, I don't really see what we gain by sending you a bunch of assets for Carey Price even if I'd mark the f*** out for it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think it has to be said that returns must be expected to be modest.

The closest trade comparison another poster could come up with in a long, well-thought post, was of Luongo for Markstrom (who seemed a stalled prospect) and Shawn Mattias.

I'd suggest Colorado might offer Jost, Kuemper and a pick of some kind (2nd rounder maybe).

I imagine Edmonton might offer one or two of Niemelainen, Foegele or McLeod, a goalie and a pick.
Problem for Edmonton, aside from the significant risk of Price even at 50%, is that they need to send equal money back.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
5 years @ over 5 mil per for a goalie who hasn't played this year. Also, has never played outside Montreal... Not very tempting.

You would also have to pay for the 50% retention from Montreal or a 3rd team, just overall sounds horrible the more you think about it.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Buffalo might bite, but I doubt the Canadians are interested in trading him within their own division. Secondly, would Price even go to Buffalo? And thirdly, his contract and term don't really fit the Sabres situation.

It might cost Montreal some picks/prospects to unload the contract, and I'm not sure they are willing to pay what it would take.

Reactions: TFHockey

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He's untradeable at this point.

It's not feasible the Canadiens retain that much for that long.

No team is going to pay a big dollar with so many question marks about his future.

The offers are going to be underwhelming, so the Canadiens should just hang on to him.

Agreed. Same from the Avs perspective. Even with retention, there’s too much uncertainty for a team to give anything Montreal fans would be happy with.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He was literally offered for free to a team with A complete blank slate.

they went with dreiger and Joey daccord.
He has no value at full pop.

the problem becomes the retention. “If” he wants out to chase a cup. How much are they willing tonhelp? It’s a crazy situation.

Reactions: vokiel

NoGoalCaufield

Feb 22, 2018
Don’t mean to be rude but no one wants Carey Price. He done a good job in the playoffs last year but his regular season numbers has been horrible, an he’s old, and his contract even at half ain’t a good deal.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
What's your best offer?
this is not the best time to be putting price up for sale . due to his knee injury and personal issues it would be better for him to heal both mentally and physically . after his bonus is paid in july he's only owed 24 million . it'll be easier to get teams to absorb cap when it's not all real dollars . let teams like edmonton and colorado shit the bed again due to goaltending and they'll be looking for other answers . price playing healthy in his 35-36-37-38 years will be one of those answers

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Price single handedly brings a team to the finals and he still gets disrespected to another level. Posts in this thread are treating him as if he’s a second tier goalie. Any contender that can afford him and trades for him, will win the cup if not at least reach the finals- of that I’m certain.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Agreed. Same from the Avs perspective. Even with retention, there’s too much uncertainty for a team to give anything Montreal fans would be happy with.
This Montreal fan would be happy if these stupid proposals would stop , Molson isn't going to pay Price $21,000,000 to stop pucks for another team just NOT going to happen .

Reactions: Weltschmerz

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
5 years @ over 5 mil per for a goalie who hasn't played this year. Also, has never played outside Montreal... Not very tempting.

You would also have to pay for the 50% retention from Montreal or a 3rd team, just overall sounds horrible the more you think about it.

Don’t mean to be rude but no one wants Carey Price. He done a good job in the playoffs last year but his regular season numbers has been horrible, an he’s old, and his contract even at half ain’t a good deal.

this is not the best time to be putting price up for sale . due to his knee injury and personal issues it would be better for him to heal both mentally and physically . after his bonus is paid in july he's only owed 24 million . it'll be easier to get teams to absorb cap when it's not all real dollars . let teams like edmonton and colorado shit the bed again due to goaltending and they'll be looking for other answers . price playing healthy in his 35-36-37-38 years will be one of those answers

Price is a gamble at 10.5 max retained down to 5.25,
That's too much for most clubs to take on.

You would need to bribe a team w/deep pockets like the Rangers to acquire him for 10 seconds in a 3 way where he is immediately flipped, with NY eating another 1.5-1.75 getting Price down to about 3.5,

NY can't afford to do that unless there is both overpay incentive to add that much cap hit annually AND deal sufficient salary to create that cap 1.75 ish space. Since moving Strome + Geo + is already nec b'c there is big cap add beginning next season, our only option, taking into acct who has cap hit, hmc, and where nyr has depth, would be to flip Lindgren's 3m x 3

So that is a huge amount x 2 on both cap and incentive to move Lindy, going to NYj ust to get Price down to an actually appealing #.
Not impossible depending on how bad third team wants Price and sees him as a final piece, but also not likely,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad