OT: Career advice Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Has anyone ever hit a point in their career where they feel just super low in confidence and like they're not good enough? Feels like everything I do at work I have a piano on my back while I'm doing it. And I'm getting bad reviews including being put on a Performance Improvement Plan last week. I've been told my entire life how smart I was, including by smart people but I feel like I'm not smart enough to have any sort of career success.

Going to share my story now, because finally good shit has happened for me. The "I've been told my entire life how smart I was" part resonates with me. I was a high performer nearly in all my previous jobs. Then I landed where I am now in 2016 and I've stagnated.

Without delving into too many details... it began well enough, but after 3 years, my hiring manager quit and in 2019 I fell victim to a team reorganization that slotted me in the wrong place with an idiot manager whom I've fought for 4 years. Before the reorganization and before this idiot became my manager (through an acquisition), I happened to be lending my hand to this mainly tactical support team because I had the skills to. Then I ended up getting slotted into that team permanently upon the reorganization, because I was good at doing the work. What a dummy I was.

In the last 3 years, other teams and members in the department (many joined after the reorganization) just didn't know who I am, didn't know my background and skill set, what I was capable of, and just thought that I was my idiot manager's right-hand man. This guy is all about tactical support and isn't able to think strategically at all, whereas I tried to get him to understand that he and I needed to work together to move the needle. He kept agreeing but it never happened. He kept on tasking me with stupid transactional/administrative stuff to do hence my hours on end literally with little to do and spending my time here lol. He talked over me during meetings -- to show others that he was knowledgeable -- and would not give me more than a couple of actual project management assignments. I was no longer seen as a capable high performer. Now I became just a tactical guy, the "help." This manager of mine is insecure and "manages up," meaning he's all about doing what's asked and not getting in trouble with his boss and other heads. Looks after himself. Never was interested in my growth and development nor that of the other members under his team. He's a lucky s.o.b. because those other members have zero aspirations and are just happy to be the help.

Recently I reached out to the dept. VP for role clarity. In my mind, it really was the last straw. I told my wife that if I didn't get what I wanted, I would start looking again. There was another reorganization that had just occurred, and 3 people were let go, and now we're extremely lean, so I took advantage of the timing. I think that the VP knew I was a flight risk and they couldn't bleed any more people.

You might be asking why I didn't just quit in 2019. I looked and the pay elsewhere wasn't as good. I was close to getting hired by a company but ultimately didn't get an offer because I think I demanded too high a salary. Then the pandemic hit, so literally had to stay home. Then after the pandemic, the company went to full-time work from home and then to a flexwork scheme. I get every other Friday off. I can go offline whenever to take care of life stuff as long as I complete what I need to. I love all these things -- the pay, the perks -- except for the stupid spot I was put in.

I'm now finally slotted correctly in the role that I want and enjoy doing. All of the management that I went to prior could not execute on putting me in the right spot. Unfortunately I still have to report to this same manager, but now I can say to him, hey my focus is now firmly on my new role, instead of that stupid shit you put me on and try to take over yourself anyway.

I'm in marketing and communications with an engineering background and technical/analytical thinking skills.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Going to share my story now, because finally good shit has happened for me. The "I've been told my entire life how smart I was" part resonates with me. I was a high performer nearly in all my previous jobs. Then I landed where I am now in 2016 and I've stagnated.

Without delving into too many details... it began well enough, but after 3 years, my hiring manager quit and in 2019 I fell victim to a team reorganization that slotted me in the wrong place with an idiot manager whom I've fought for 4 years. Before the reorganization and before this idiot became my manager (through an acquisition), I happened to be providing extra support to this mainly tactical support team because I had the skills to. Then I ended up getting slotted into that team permanently upon the reorganization, because I was good at doing the work. What a dummy I was.

In the last 3 years, other teams and members in the department (many joined after the reorganization) just didn't know who I am, didn't know my background and skill set, what I was capable of, and just thought that I was my idiot manager's right-hand man. This guy is all about tactical support and isn't able to think strategically at all, whereas I tried to get him to understand that he and I needed to work together to move the needle. He kept agreeing but it never happened. He kept on tasking me with stupid transactional/administrative stuff to do hence my hours on end literally with little to do and spending my time here lol. He talked over me during meetings -- to show others that he was knowledgeable -- and would not give me more than a couple of actual project management assignments. I'm no longer being seen as a capable high performer. Now I'm just a tactical guy, the "help." This manager of mine is insecure and "manages up," meaning he's all about doing what's asked and not getting in trouble with his boss and other heads. Never was interested in my growth and development nor that of the other members under his team. He's a lucky s.o.b. because those other members have zero aspirations and are just happy to be the help.

Recently I reached out to the dept. VP for role clarity. In my mind, it really was the last straw. I told my wife that if I didn't get what I wanted, I would start looking again. There was another reorganization that had just occurred, and 3 people were let go, and now we're extremely lean, so I took advantage of the timing. I think that the VP knew I was a flight risk and they couldn't bleed any more people.

You might be asking why I didn't just quit in 2019. I looked and the pay elsewhere wasn't as good. I was close to getting hired by a company but ultimately didn't get an offer because I think I demanded too high a salary. Then the pandemic hit, so literally had to stay home. Then after the pandemic, the company went to full-time work from home and then to a flexwork scheme -- I get every other Friday off. I can go offline whenever to take care of life stuff as long as I complete what I need to. I love all these things -- the pay, the perks -- except for the stupid spot I was put in.

I'm now finally slotted correctly in the role that I want and enjoy doing. All of the management that I went to prior could not execute on putting me in the right spot. Unfortunately I still have to report to this same manager, but now I can say to him, hey my focus is now firmly on my new role, instead of that stupid shit you put me on and try to take over yourself anyway.

I'm in marketing and communications with an engineering background and technical/analytical thinking skills.

I had a role once as an IT project manager with no experience in IT or project management, nor any interest in it. I only took the job because I was out of work for a year. Just a terrible fit that gave me depression. It was brutal. So a bad fit can really hurt your confidence and career. The thing that sucks now is that I should be good at this and I'm not nearly as bad as I was that job, just not as good as I'd like.

One problem I have that has hurt my confidence is that I suck at meetings. I've never been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I have severe ADHD. I just can't focus during meetings, particularly group meetings. I see people thriving and understand the business super well and knowing about all of the initiatives and keeping all of the moving parts in their heads but I just zone out. Just by doing a ton of work I've learned my area of the business decently well but I don't think I'll ever move up if I can't receive the information in a good way.

I also just generally feel like every ask is some super difficult thing. Then I sit down with my thoughts and 90% of the time figure it out with no problem. I don't know if me asking questions before that makes me look like an idiot or someone with low confidence. I've always had this on some level but this job my confidence is shot so it's worse. As you guys can tell from the game threads I'm high anxiety. It's not ideal.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I had a role once as an IT project manager with no experience in IT or project management, nor any interest in it. I only took the job because I was out of work for a year. Just a terrible fit that gave me depression. It was brutal. So a bad fit can really hurt your confidence and career. The thing that sucks now is that I should be good at this and I'm not nearly as bad as I was that job, just not as good as I'd like.

One problem I have that has hurt my confidence is that I suck at meetings. I've never been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I have severe ADHD. I just can't focus during meetings, particularly group meetings. I see people thriving and understand the business super well and knowing about all of the initiatives and keeping all of the moving parts in their heads but I just zone out. Just by doing a ton of work I've learned my area of the business decently well but I don't think I'll ever move up if I can't receive the information in a good way.

I also just generally feel like every ask is some super difficult thing. Then I sit down with my thoughts and 90% of the time figure it out with no problem. I don't know if me asking questions before that makes me look like an idiot or someone with low confidence. I've always had this on some level but this job my confidence is shot so it's worse. As you guys can tell from the game threads I'm high anxiety. It's not ideal.

Yes, I've seen you remark about this before. Bad fit really does derail you. I basically blocked out being miserable, just disengaged from the job mostly. Unfortunately I don't know how to help you in getting over the ADHD but don't give up.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
This is only tangentially related to career advice (though I may be back here soon if I end up deciding to pivot out of academia in order to escape the insanity that education in the deep south is becoming).

I know there are a lot of tech folks on here. I'm an English professor at a school that runs a pretty tight budget. I'm currently on the "recruitment and retention committee" for the college of arts and humanities, and one of the things I've been tasked with investigating is developing an app for the College of A and H. We'd be looking at something to improve communication with prospective students (weekly updating events calendar, social media feed, games/quizzes, course options during registration, etc). The main problem is that...we're all a bunch of arts and humanities professors, haha. Are there go-to companies who do things like app development? Is it mainly done through freelance? If the latter, where would one look to find reputable freelancers? Does anyone have a sense of the ballpark cost of developing such an app?

I'm swimming in unfamiliar waters here. App design rarely comes up in Shakespeare scholarship, hahaha. Any help/suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is only tangentially related to career advice (though I may be back here soon if I end up deciding to pivot out of academia in order to escape the insanity that education in the deep south is becoming).

I know there are a lot of tech folks on here. I'm an English professor at a school that runs a pretty tight budget. I'm currently on the "recruitment and retention committee" for the college of arts and humanities, and one of the things I've been tasked with investigating is developing an app for the College of A and H. We'd be looking at something to improve communication with prospective students (weekly updating events calendar, social media feed, games/quizzes, course options during registration, etc). The main problem is that...we're all a bunch of arts and humanities professors, haha. Are there go-to companies who do things like app development? Is it mainly done through freelance? If the latter, where would one look to find reputable freelancers? Does anyone have a sense of the ballpark cost of developing such an app?

I'm swimming in unfamiliar waters here. App design rarely comes up in Shakespeare scholarship, hahaha. Any help/suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

One freelance site I know is unwork. Don't know beyond that.

Reactions: smoneil

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Scott
This might sound nuts, but think about seeing how far you can get with ChatGPT…

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC

Scott
I would suggest a CMS like wordpress. Otherwise it's going to be expensive and a PIA to update.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You need someone who can do design and UI work as well as code. There’s probably a hundred freelancers capable of doing it in Williamsburg alone. I may know some, I’ll ask around. I’m sure there’s companies that do it, but I’m guessing they charge significantly more.

Try posting on Toptal, Upwork, GitHub, etc.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I got to the reference check stage of a job which is a nonprofit. I never worked for a nonprofit or even really considered it. But might be a nice change.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

Without delving into too many details... it began well enough, but after 3 years, my hiring manager quit and in 2019 I fell victim to a team reorganization that slotted me in the wrong place with an idiot manager whom I've fought for 4 years. Before the reorganization and before this idiot became my manager (through an acquisition), I happened to be lending my hand to this mainly tactical support team because I had the skills to. Then I ended up getting slotted into that team permanently upon the reorganization, because I was good at doing the work. What a dummy I was.

In the last 3 years, other teams and members in the department (many joined after the reorganization) just didn't know who I am, didn't know my background and skill set, what I was capable of, and just thought that I was my idiot manager's right-hand man. This guy is all about tactical support and isn't able to think strategically at all, whereas I tried to get him to understand that he and I needed to work together to move the needle. He kept agreeing but it never happened. He kept on tasking me with stupid transactional/administrative stuff to do hence my hours on end literally with little to do and spending my time here lol. He talked over me during meetings -- to show others that he was knowledgeable -- and would not give me more than a couple of actual project management assignments. I was no longer seen as a capable high performer. Now I became just a tactical guy, the "help." This manager of mine is insecure and "manages up," meaning he's all about doing what's asked and not getting in trouble with his boss and other heads. Looks after himself. Never was interested in my growth and development nor that of the other members under his team. He's a lucky s.o.b. because those other members have zero aspirations and are just happy to be the help.

You might be asking why I didn't just quit in 2019. I looked and the pay elsewhere wasn't as good. I was close to getting hired by a company but ultimately didn't get an offer because I think I demanded too high a salary. Then the pandemic hit, so literally had to stay home. Then after the pandemic, the company went to full-time work from home and then to a flexwork scheme. I get every other Friday off. I can go offline whenever to take care of life stuff as long as I complete what I need to. I love all these things -- the pay, the perks -- except for the stupid spot I was put in.

That's excellent news for you so congrats.

One thing I will say as someone who has worked in the public sector, private sector, and nonprofits, and who has been a contractor, hourly, salaried, and a manager at various points in my career, that is VERY important, and I hope resonates with anyone on here who now or in the future ever has any role in hiring decisions ESPECIALLY when it comes to managers:

Bad managers can be identified by the trail of bodies they leave in their wake. Wherever they go, turnover increases. They tend not to give a shit about their people, only about how they look to their bosses (like your boss, it seems), they don't know anything and don't care to find out, and they just pass the buck and threaten discipline or punishments. Few stand up to them and the ones that do often get bullied in return. I say this in full happiness for will because I'm reading between the lines of what he wrote and basically he navigated a very difficult situation to staying with a company where statistically most people would have left and both the company and employee likely would have been worse off because of a manager. So Kudos to him for staying and working it out, but it's also the exception and clearly he considered leaving.

So the reason I'm making this point is that this is something that right now every company in America can do that will make it leaner, allow it to save more company time and money, increase employee morale/retention, increase engagement and therefore productivity, and MASSIVELY reduce the amount of work your HR department will have to do. This simple thing is...STOP HIRING BAD MANAGERS!!!!

There are simple ways to screen for this:
For internal candidates:
-Gather data from teams a managerial candidate has led. If turnover increased, bad sign.
-A FORMER employee of that manager (who reported to them) can help provide insight, provided they are nowhere that the manager has oversight over them. Asking a current team member to comment on that manager might not result in a real answer if they are scared of retaliation.

For all candidates:
-Ask the manager to tell you durnig the interview who is their favorite employee they've mentored and why. The level of detail they provide you will tell you whether or not this person gives a damn about their employees. Anyone whose complete answer is less than 15 seconds should NEVER get the job.
-Ask the manager to tell you about what one of their favorite employees did on a recent vacation. If they don't know, either they don't care about their people, or their people don't feel compelled to share their personal lives at work, which also tells you something about the culture that person creates.
-Ask the manager to tell you about a time they get to acknowledge someone on their team and what stood out to them. Again, level of detail tells you everything you need to know. A good manager will still acknowledge employees even if not required as part of a formal company policy, and will remember it since it's a deliberate act.
-Ask the manager if they would be comfortable providing you with 2 subordinate references. Follow up on them and see if they paint the same picture the manager does. Ask them how the manager helped them grow. References won't be able to cover for a boss they don't like when caught off guard with direct, but legitimate questions like this. Most people expect to only talk about the manager, not about themselves. Even if the employee is still trying to help out a bad boss (maybe because them getting a new job means they won't have to work for them anymore!) the answers can still be revealing. For instance, if the employee tells you the manager "helped them b/c they weren't complying with a rule and got them to take it seriously" that tells you this person isn't helping their team reach potential, this person is an enforcer who focuses more on discipline than growth. In that situation, I'd challenge the employee to think of another example that involved their personal growth (not just being reminded of a rule), to see what's under the hood. Good managers serve their teams - their teams will have stories galore. Bad managers expect their teams to serve them - their teams will struggle to answer the questions.

Finally, why do bad managers keep getting hired?
It's simple really...STOP VALUING EXPERIENCE THE MOST AMONG EVERYTHING IN THE APPLICATION PACKAGE!
Just because someone has experience doesn't mean they are good at a job. It means they've spent time doing it. I sat in my chair for 5 minutes writing this post...does this mean my post is better than yours because you spent 1 minute on it? Of course not. Yet for some reason with jobs, if someone has experience, a major wall is dropped and suddenly the candidate is often liked because of it. STOP THIS!!! Experience managing doesn't make one a good manager, and experience doing something doesn't mean someone will be good at managing others to do that same task if they have the wrong personality type.

So to everyone out there involved in hiring -- PLEASE stop hiring bad managers!!!!

This has been my PSA in this thread.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Okay boys I’m resurrecting this thread because I’m at the end of my rope.

I’ve been unemployed for many months since being laid off from my job as a software developer.

Despite my skills and experience, I can’t even get interviews anymore.

I know we got a couple guys here in the industry , and I need all the tips/advice/leads I can get at this point. TIA.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

I’ve been unemployed for many months since being laid off from my job as a software developer.

I know we got a couple guys here in the industry , and I need all the tips/advice/leads I can get at this point. TIA.
Are you applying for roles at finance companies? They have tons of openings. Also try going through recruiters if you aren’t already.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

Get some/all of the following terms on your resume:

Machine Learning
Generative AI
ChatGPT (ugh)

It's just the way the industry is trending now.

I always find running through problems on Project Euler (About - Project Euler) gets me into the white board problem headspace.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone know of any jobs/employers who hire former math teachers who are transitioning away from teaching? Open to new ideas (my wife, not me). Really just crowdsourcing ideas.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Anyone know of any jobs/employers who hire former math teachers who are transitioning away from teaching? Open to new ideas (my wife, not me). Really just crowdsourcing ideas.
Just completely guessing, but maybe quant/analytics jobs, actuary, or intro CS jobs if she knows programming.

Reactions: mas0764

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Does she have a math degree?

If so, I’m in insurance and we often ask for math degrees for actuarial and data science roles.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Does she have a math degree?

If so, I’m in insurance and we often ask for math degrees for actuarial and data science roles.
She has a teaching degree, but she taught high school math, like algebra and up, math comes easy.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
On June 6, I said goodbye to a 25-year career in IT. I quit/resigned/retired, whatever. I couldn't take the non-stop gaslighting and outright harassment and discrimination. A similar aged co-worker was fired a week after I went out the door. I wasn't going to move into any management role, and I was done with trying to chase jobs. If you're over a certain age, the industry is going to look to find a way to drum you out.

So, I'm now a licensed life insurance agent in the state of North Carolina as of July 27.

Looking forward to a completely different line of work, being able to set my own schedule, and helping people rather than being beaten over the head.

Oh, and I have nothing to do with Colonial Penn. Professional discretion forbids me to say what I really think about them.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Experience isn't valued in the industry anymore. Be it developers, analysts, project managers (who were basically removed from existence when the entire industry moved to "Agile", even though there's nothing Agile about "Agile shops".

My former co-worker was fired a week after I resigned because he "didn't know Agile and didn't want to learn."

My former co-worker has five Agile certifications. More than the entire rest of the team combined.

He was fired because he's 52 and not a code monkey.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
On June 6, I said goodbye to a 25-year career in IT. I quit/resigned/retired, whatever. I couldn't take the non-stop gaslighting and outright harassment and discrimination. A similar aged co-worker was fired a week after I went out the door. I wasn't going to move into any management role, and I was done with trying to chase jobs. If you're over a certain age, the industry is going to look to find a way to drum you out.

So, I'm now a licensed life insurance agent in the state of North Carolina as of July 27.

Looking forward to a completely different line of work, being able to set my own schedule, and helping people rather than being beaten over the head.

Oh, and I have nothing to do with Colonial Penn. Professional discretion forbids me to say what I really think about them.

My dad worked in IT and found the same (in NC - I suspect in the same region). There is actual age and racial discrimination in these areas too.

Reactions: NCRanger

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
How do you find a recruiter?
If you have a filled out LinkedIn, they normally come to you. I don’t think I’ve ever found a recruiter on my own, but I’d probably search google for some recruitment agencies. Usually they each specialize in specific types of roles rather than trying to find a job for someone in any industry.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Experience isn't valued in the industry anymore. Be it developers, analysts, project managers (who were basically removed from existence when the entire industry moved to "Agile", even though there's nothing Agile about "Agile shops".

My former co-worker was fired a week after I resigned because he "didn't know Agile and didn't want to learn."

My former co-worker has five Agile certifications. More than the entire rest of the team combined.

He was fired because he's 52 and not a code monkey.
I wouldn’t say experience isn’t valued, but there’s a sweet spot with how much experience someone has. Probably around like 7-10 years is ideal. Enough experience where you don’t need to hold their hand and not too much experience where older software engineers tend to be incredibly opinionated to the point of obnoxiousness.

Obviously it’s a big generalization, but that’s so far been my experience in IT.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
My dad worked in IT and found the same (in NC - I suspect in the same region). There is actual age and racial discrimination in these areas too.
I'm in Charlotte. I was working for one of the big banks. I was with this one for 10 years fulltime.

I was put on a "corrective action" in March for basically having a kidney stone.

After I turned 50, all of my "meets" and "exceeds" mid-year and annual reviews were now "inconsistently meets".

I was given unclear and purposely incomplete instructions and well as not being included in meetings and then being given 65 hours of work that was expected to be done in 40.

I won't even get into the racial stuff.

In North Carolina, I cannot challenge any of this because of the extreme Right To Work laws.

My former co-worker was full-time remote in Florida. He can challenge and will be. I won't say anything as there is litigation taking place where I am a witness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad