Waived: [CAR] Josiah Slavin, Ty Smith, and Ryan Suzuki waived by the Hurricanes

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
a hair surprised that Blake appears (for now) to have beat out Suzuki, not that he overly stood out in camp but he wasn't out of place either in the pre-season action he got in while playing with what was clearing the Canes "B" option prospects.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Damn that sucks. Really thought suzuki would be a good player after seeing him at hlinka-gretzky tournament
yeah, I had high hopes for him as he was a skilled guy and the Canes needed (and still need) to upgrade their skill level. On top of the eye injury, he's been plagued by other injuries since being drafted, often during training camp or early in the season. It's unfortunate that he hasn't been able to stay healthy as that, IMO, has also impacted his development.

I almost think he needs a fresh start somewhere else, for his own sake.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lol, Slavin, Smith and Suzuki - and all are wrong ones...

If you just ran the last names across a "waiver wire ticker"...there is a cornucopia of talent! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That said, i feel a little bad for Ty Smith. He looked legitimately promising as a rookie and i really liked him as a prospect. He's still got some appreciable talent. But he falls into that dreadful pit of "small offensive D" who don't establish themselves as Top-4 NHLers quickly enough, they get passed over for opportunities and never really make it. Nobody wants a Ty Smith on their 3rd pairing...and nobody wants a waiver wire D in their Top-4/Powerplay.

I hope he does at least get another NHL shot at some point. Though it seems increasingly unlikely. He's landed in some rather undesirable/crowded/logjam type situations since his promising early play though. Just never really got any other kind of real NHL shot after he stumbled while chained to a dying PK Subban and seemed to completely lose whatever mojo he came in with. Sad drooping career trajectory...without ever really actually demonstrating that he's completely unable to regain that early form and build on it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If you just ran the last names across a "waiver wire ticker"...there is a cornucopia of talent! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That said, i feel a little bad for Ty Smith. He looked legitimately promising as a rookie and i really liked him as a prospect. He's still got some appreciable talent. But he falls into that dreadful pit of "small offensive D" who don't establish themselves as Top-4 NHLers quickly enough, they get passed over for opportunities and never really make it. Nobody wants a Ty Smith on their 3rd pairing...and nobody wants a waiver wire D in their Top-4/Powerplay.

I hope he does at least get another NHL shot at some point. Though it seems increasingly unlikely. He's landed in some rather undesirable/crowded/logjam type situations since his promising early play though. Just never really got any other kind of real NHL shot after he stumbled while chained to a dying PK Subban and seemed to completely lose whatever mojo he came in with. Sad drooping career trajectory...without ever really actually demonstrating that he's completely unable to regain that early form and build on it.
He didn’t really do himself any favors in preseason play. Looked lost defensively and didn’t contribute anything offensively.
That said, if there were an injury to one of the Canes’ LD, I think he’d be the first callup. Morrow outplayed him, but I don’t think the Canes would want Morrow to play on his offside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad