Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Seems my point went …..well, you aren’t addressing it.

If he fails as a Cap, then he fails as a Cap. At least he became a Cap.

Everyone is being abject apologists for the kid, as to why he’s not coming into the org now. Aren’t they? Sure — “reasons”. I understand the need to assume the best.

However, IF he fails at all of these “reasons”, then what? We give another pass and allow for another bite at the apple?

There is NO assured scenario, I’m sure we can agree on that. BUT, the silver liners are coming up with all these reasons that Leonard not joining is somehow “good for the team”.

I think that’s horseshit. It may be good for Leonard. Or it may not. But as others have said, him going back to BC is not good for the Caps.

And if you think so, then that’s your right. It just doesn’t hold much water for me.
I'm perhaps in the minority, but I don't think Leonard is quite ready. He's a tremendous prospect who had a fantastic developmental year, but he's also a guy who struggled to make an impact for Team USA at the World Hockey Championship (which wasn't an NHL all-star team).

So for me, it's should he spend the year developing in Hershey or in Boston? If he prefers Boston, that's fine with me. I believe he will be challenged playing against older college kids (he's only a sophomore), and he has definitely not hit the ceiling (as others have outlined he had a great year but could still be even better in 24-25).

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

Everyone is being abject apologists for the kid, as to why he’s not coming into the org now. Aren’t they? Sure — “reasons”. I understand the need to assume the best.

However, IF he fails at all of these “reasons”, then what? We give another pass and allow for another bite at the apple?

There is NO assured scenario, I’m sure we can agree on that. BUT, the silver liners are coming up with all these reasons that Leonard not joining is somehow “good for the team”.

I think that’s horseshit. It may be good for Leonard. Or it may not. But as others have said, him going back to BC is not good for the Caps.

And if you think so, then that’s your right. It just doesn’t hold much water for me.
None of us has any way of knowing whether it is good or bad for the Caps.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm perhaps in the minority, but I don't think Leonard is quite ready. He's a tremendous prospect who had a fantastic developmental year, but he's also a guy who struggled to make an impact for Team USA at the World Hockey Championship (which wasn't an NHL all-star team).

So for me, it's should he spend the year developing in Hershey or in Boston? If he prefers Boston, that's fine with me. I believe he will be challenged playing against older college kids (he's only a sophomore), and he has definitely not hit the ceiling (as others have outlined he had a great year but could still be even better in 24-25).
I’m gonna side with GMBM who said he was ready a year ago…..

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
None of us has any way of knowing whether it is good or bad for the Caps.
Bingo. Agreed 100%

Some of us think it’s not great for the Caps, and some us think it’s not bad for the Caps. In a nutshell.

Which are pretty limited extremes, in the grand scheme of things.

My concern is simple. Longer he’s not here (Capland), the more possible it becomes that he doesn’t show or forces a change (witness: Gauthier).

Is that white knuckling it? Somewhat.

I’m not stressed about it. I think the odds are certainly in the Caps favour that he shows up within a calendar year from today.

But it’s something we now have to keep in mind, which stinks.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

Caps cook prospects. And for good reason. He might miss all of those goals. He may get some. May get all. I love the fact that he WANTS them all.

I am on record saying I thought he should have gone pro. He didn’t. I choose to see the good in him going back to BC and what he CAN accomplish.

Outside of that Miro looks ready to run with Caps again next year. So does Lappy. Others like Frank and Sutter could make a run as well. There just aren’t a lot of roster spots.

I have moved to signing a Marchaut or Stamkos for 2 years versus a Reinhart or Marner. I want to see what we have down the middle. Can Frank play? I think we have another year of evaluation and rather than adding big over summer, we leave space for trade deadline. We can still be buyers or sellers. We will also be competitive.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bingo. Agreed 100%

Some of us think it’s not great for the Caps, and some us think it’s not bad for the Caps. In a nutshell.

Which are pretty limited extremes, in the grand scheme of things.

My worry is simple. Longer he’s not here (Capland), the more possible it becomes that he doesn’t show or forces a change (witness: Gauthier).

Is that white knuckling it? Somewhat.

I’m not stressed about it. I think the odds are certainly in the Caps favour that he shows up within a calendar year from today.

But it’s something we now have to keep in mind, which stinks.
Who was the last Caps high draft pick who refused to sign and signed somewhere else as a free agent? Guys like Priskie and Di Pauli spurned Washington but they did it in part because the roster was stacked at their respective positions and they wanted an easier path to playing time. Leonard will be a core, top-six/top-line player the moment he signs a contract with Washington. There’s a non-zero chance he’s on the ice when Ovi breaks Gretzky’s record. He’s going to be the foundation for the next generation. There’s a lot to like from Leonard’s point of view about signing in Washington at some point.

If he decides to go back for his junior year we can get nervous but not worth worrying about now.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
For how highly he's rated, I hear basically nothing about Chesley. Are we sure he's signing with us?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who was the last Caps high draft pick who refused to sign and signed somewhere else as a free agent? Guys like Priskie and Di Pauli spurned Washington but they did it in part because the roster was stacked at their respective positions and they wanted an easier path to playing time. Leonard will be a core, top-six/top-line player the moment he signs a contract with Washington. There’s a non-zero chance he’s on the ice when Ovi breaks Gretzky’s record. He’s going to be the foundation for the next generation. There’s a lot to like from Leonard’s point of view about signing in Washington at some point.

If he decides to go back for his junior year we can get nervous but not worth worrying about now.
There’s more to like about picking where and who you work for……not saying it will happen, but there’s a non-zero chance he’ll do it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Hope so of course ….but it seems like my point is getting lost here.

The point is NOT that I’m expecting Leonard to avoid the Caps — I frankly do not think that — but now it’s actually a thing. It just is.

When we drafted him….did I ever think “perhaps he won’t sign?”. NO. Not at all. Like at all.

Do I sometimes think that now? YES. Yes I do.

Thinking about something is not the same as worrying about something. Worrying is being caught up in something that can consume you. Thinking is simply that. Musing on an idea, then letting it go.

That’s all there is, on this topic.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There’s more to like about picking where and who you work for……not saying it will happen, but there’s a non-zero chance he’ll do it.

I think its weird how it depends on which league a players is drafted out of and where they go when they don't sign with the club, that determines how long the club keeps the players rights. Go to the KHL, we keep your rights for ever. Graduate from college, you're a UFA. CHL, 2 years then back to the draft. Doesn't always make sense.

I personally think there is little chance that Lenny shuns us, but dumber things have happened.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There always was a non-zero chance. I personally don't feel like the chance has increased at all from a year ago.

I think each year he goes unsigned; it ticks up at least slightly…

But like @Ridley Simon says…not worried, but it’s something to think about…

All the flowery “I’m glad he’s going back, he made the right choice” posts however are silly IMO.

When the GM says he was ready last camp, the clock ticks louder a year later, for me at least.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

Priskie spurned the Caps just to sign with the Canes, who had much more RHD depth than the Caps at the time. I remember how weird that seemed because it looked like he was screwing himself over by signing in one of the worst places he could've in terms of opportunity, and we never heard anything about him having any connection to the Canes or any of their staff to explain it. Didn't make a lot of sense then and worked out just as poorly as everyone expected.

That was one of those time when I wished we had real hockey media in this town, because no one with the access to find out what happened there bothered to try.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I'm with @Ridley Simon, not overly worried but it bears keeping an eye on. Just keep being a A+ org. and we probably don't have anything to worry about. But would hope that we see him in DC after his season is up next year and hearing about a signing then. If end of next year rolls around and we don't have word....then I'll become concerned.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Priskie spurned the Caps just to sign with the Canes, who had much more RHD depth than the Caps at the time. I remember how weird that seemed because it looked like he was screwing himself over by signing in one of the worst places he could've in terms of opportunity, and we never heard anything about him having any connection to the Canes or any of their staff to explain it. Didn't make a lot of sense then and worked out just as poorly as everyone expected.

That was one of those time when I wished we had real hockey media in this town, because no one with the access to find out what happened there bothered to try.

So it did make some sense, but didn’t work out.

Last edited:

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Worrying about Ryan Leonard not signing is just as stupid as it is now as it was two months ago.

At least as of now, on the off chance a few of you all’s masochist dreams come true.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Worrying about Ryan Leonard not signing is just as stupid as it is now as it was two months ago.

At least as of now, on the off chance a few of you all’s masochist dreams come true.
Huge eye roll. RIF, my good man.

How many times do we need to say “not worried, but it’s something that we now need to think about”.

If you want to plug your ears(eyes) and say “na na na na na na” til you’re blue in the face, please do. No skin off my back (masochist dreams, now that’s truly funny stuff!)

• Haha
Reactions: Rayquaza64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad