Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie​

Sure, Kuemper +17th OA and we'll retain half.

Seriously though, wouldn't we do Chuckie + one of our 3rds for the 10th OA?

JC + Kemper no retention for 10 OA straight up and their next years 1st? Am I insane? Don't answer that.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I think this is the case. He's not changing his mind based on one player leaving. His rationale for staying didn't seem to depend on having Will Smith around.
I wonder if he slides over to center with Smith gone? Could be a silver lining here.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if he slides over to center with Smith gone? Could be a silver lining here.
I was wondering that too, with Hagens coming in(probably #1 pick in 2025), as a center, I could see them playing together. Wouldn't mind him shifting to Center, he basically played center defensively last year anyway. Teddy Stiga is joining B.C. along with Hagens brother and more good recruits, so B.C. won't have a shortage of talent, along with Fowler in Net.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Given the crickets from Chestnut Hill, should we assume Ryan Leonard is staying at BC another year? Or should we expect to hear news closer to draft time?

I mean... he already announced once that he's staying? Why would he do it again?

It's silly thinking that he'd come over just because Smith does. If NHL Playoffs hockey didn't get him to come over earlier than expected, his friend leaving is certainly not going to do it either.

Right decision, IMO.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
My guess lets see what happens around Dev Summit re: Leonard possibly changing his mind. I still don't see a negative him going to BC he's going to be featured big time with Gauthier and Smith leaving. Again Leonard was the most responsible defensively of the trio and yes... he led BC in the dreaded plus minus.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia

Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie​

Sure, Kuemper +17th OA and we'll retain half.

Seriously though, wouldn't we do Chuckie + one of our 3rds for the 10th OA?

No way am I retaining on DK for 3 years, rather keep him or get less in return

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
My guess lets see what happens around Dev Summit re: Leonard possibly changing his mind. I still don't see a negative him going to BC he's going to be featured big time with Gauthier and Smith leaving. Again Leonard was the most responsible defensively of the trio and yes... he led BC in the dreaded plus minus.

I think it's a good decision for him. He's going to be their #1 goal-scoring weapon next season so he's going to get a lot of attention from every team and they are going to be planning first and foremost on shutting down Perreault and Leonard. It's a good experience for him given this is likely how it's going to be for him at NHL-level the second he comes over too. Capitals only really have Ovechkin as the only elite offensive-talent that teams need to plan against and even he has lost a step but his shot is always going to require attention. If Leonard has another good year at the BC and comes over, all eyes will be on him. That includes our opponents, so perhaps it's better to learn that first at the NCAA-level.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't know if it matters to him, but I have to think Leonard might be on a preseason short list of Hobey Baker candidates. That might be an(other) incentive for him to stay in school.
Yep… there is a lot of stuff left that he hasn’t won. Hobey baker, national championship, wearing a C, win Beanpot. I’m fine with him going back to BC for all of that. He will get a lot of growth on that path.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yep… there is a lot of stuff left that he hasn’t won. Hobey baker, national championship, wearing a C, win Beanpot. I’m fine with him going back to BC for all of that. He will get a lot of growth on that path.
Well….i hope so. Not to be negative … but “sophomore slumps” are a real thing.

So what if he accomplishes NONE of the above. Then what?

3rd time is a charm?

Which is a hop, skip, and a jump to being a collegiate UFA?

I don’t like any of it, frankly. BUT, I will put on my shit eating “grin and bear it” look, and off we go

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

3rd time is a charm?

I don’t like any of it, frankly. BUT, I will put on my shit eating “grin and bear it” look, and off we go
I was thinking the same thing….he could easily miss on every one….

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

3rd time is a charm?

What's the point of this exercise? It's easy to come up with worst case hypotheticals, but ultimately meaningless.

Here's one. What if he decides to join the Capitals this year after all, but it turns out that he isn't quite ready and he regresses, loses confidence, and ends up washing out of the league before he's 25?

If you want to trust him to be a leader on the team for the next decade plus, you might as well trust that he is capable of making these decisions about his career.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What's the point of this exercise? It's easy to come up with worst case hypotheticals, but ultimately meaningless.

Here's one. What if he decides to join the Capitals this year after all, but it turns out that he isn't quite ready and he regresses, loses confidence, and ends up washing out of the league before he's 25?

If you want to trust him to be a leader on the team for the next decade plus, you might as well trust that he is capable of making these decisions about his career.
Seems my point went …..well, you aren’t addressing it.

If he fails as a Cap, then he fails as a Cap. At least he became a Cap.

Everyone is being abject apologists for the kid, as to why he’s not coming into the org now. Aren’t they? Sure — “reasons”. I understand the need to assume the best.

However, IF he fails at all of these “reasons”, then what? We give another pass and allow for another bite at the apple?

There is NO assured scenario, I’m sure we can agree on that. BUT, the silver liners are coming up with all these reasons that Leonard not joining is somehow “good for the team”.

I think that’s horseshit. It may be good for Leonard. Or it may not. But as others have said, him going back to BC is not good for the Caps.

And if you think so, then that’s your right. It just doesn’t hold much water for me.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad