Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
the trotz thing is funny. remember all of HF bashing the Caps for letting him go. He went to NYI and built the same teams he had in Nash which were good enough to make noise but it was 4 lines of the same thing. No superstars. Only time he was successful was with Ovi. You always need some superstars. Coaching can only take you so far.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
the trotz thing is funny. remember all of HF bashing the Caps for letting him go. He went to NYI and built the same teams he had in Nash which were good enough to make noise but it was 4 lines of the same thing. No superstars. Only time he was successful was with Ovi. You always need some superstars. Coaching can only take you so far.
I don't remember it that way. A lot of the buzz back then was Trotz was a lame duck and Reirden was actually running things. There was plenty of discussion and debate about whether BT was walking away or if the Caps pushed him out.

Most of the consensus was BT was on the hot seat while the team struggled in the early parts of the final season, and BT took the failure to offer him an extension as the nail in the coffin. What happened after that is a he-said-she-said of offers and rejections etc. that nobody seemed to be happy about.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I miss Trotz and him leaving definitely hurt the franchise, whoever’s fault it is. No one here really knows what happened and it’s all speculation and guess work… But it has been talked to death.

And as much as we bash on Reirden and Lavy, the players play the game and they blew it for four straight playoffs, with 2 massive stinkers.

I guess we’re just doomed to talk about Trotz every summer.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You guys are in denial about Trotz.

It's a lot easier to forgive his shortcomings in the years prior to the Cup than it is to forgive Kuzy for his play since, yet most of you are willing to do the latter.

You just don't let a Cup winning coach walk, period. It felt weird at the time, other fanbases objectively ridiculed it, and it also aged terribly. No revisionist history whatsoever.
Don’t agree that a coach leaving is more detrimental than a 1C stinking up the joint. That doesn’t make much sense.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
If Holtby doesn't give up 2 terrible goals after we get up 3-1 in the 2nd period in Game 7 vs the 'Canes in 2019, I think there'd be a lot less of this we never should have let Trotz walk talk. Love Holtby ever since he stole that series from the Bruins in 2012 and The Save is the greatest goal-tending moment ever for the franchise - but that performance in a key game against a team we were better than and largely dominating kind of robbed the franchise of any sort of post-Cup momentum

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This team is in a good spot. Mac went all out to try to improve the team. Cheers!

I’m interested to see what they do with the extra cap space from Kuzy because it seems like they use it or lose it given the LTIR situation. I could be wrong so tell me if I am.
Backstrom on LTIR means they will have like 2.9m in cap space. Which won’t grow unless they either change out some players, or Oshie also goes on LTIR.

They have all year to fill their LTIR space. And that 2.9m will go farther as the season goes, I believe (as players play the season, their cap cost drops in percentages along with how much season has been played (also in percentages).

So I believe they could fit a 5.8m player into that 2.9m a lot, if the season is 50% done.

And that’s still in laying Oshie as active and playing.

Reactions: qc14

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
If Holtby doesn't give up 2 terrible goals after we get up 3-1 in the 2nd period in Game 7 vs the 'Canes in 2019, I think there'd be a lot less of this we never should have let Trotz walk talk. Love Holtby ever since he stole that series from the Bruins in 2012 and The Save is the greatest goal-tending moment ever for the franchise - but that performance in a key game against a team we were better than and largely dominating kind of robbed the franchise of any sort of post-Cup momentum
Man that Staal goal still gives me nightmares, and the McGinn one wasn't great either. We can't forget Vanacek's groin exploding and Sammy completely crapping the bed against Boston either in another totally winnable series. Hathaway missing that empty net by an inch in game 5 to go up 3-1 vs. FLA as well ...

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Backstrom on LTIR means they will have like 2.9m in cap space. Which won’t grow unless they either change out some players, or Oshie also goes on LTIR.

They have all year to fill their LTIR space. And that 2.9m will go farther as the season goes, I believe (as players play the season, their cap cost drops in percentages along with how much season has been played (also in percentages).

So I believe they could fit a 5.8m player into that 2.9m a lot, if the season is 50% done.

And that’s still in laying Oshie as active and playing.
Unfortunately, you can only accrue cap space if you are not using LTIR. We'll be in it all year, so there's no pro-rating cap magic we can pull off. LTIR also works technically not by "subtracting" the player's cap hit but by "adding" to the cap limit the amount over the Cap you are. Before putting Backstrom's 9.2m on LTIR, you want to get as close to 9.2m over the cap as possible to maximize that bonus space.

If Oshie is good to go, I assume they send Bear down. If he passes through, then they save $1.1m and are $9.12m over the cap, almost maximizing Backstrom's $9.2m. If he's claimed, my guess is they then call up Miro to put them at $9.16m over, once again almost maximizing Backstrom's $9.2m.

If Oshie isn't then you have another $5.75M to play with. If you don't want to have to send Bear down before the season through waivers though, you want to use the ~$5m right away otherwise you're "wasting" the vast majority of Oshie's LTIR pool. My guess in this scenario would still be that they waive Bear and keep Oshie on LTI until either he's good to go or they can make an in-season addition.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
What difference does it make?? Berry or no Berry we weren’t winning with a broken Nicky and a disinterested not sleeping Kuzy. That was too much of a black hole down the middle the roster was screwed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My desire to point out that the Caps did more than honor their contractual obligations by actually increasing the salary for the additional 2 years is eclipsed only by my desire to never speak of Trotz's departure again.
So stand up indeed….

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I don't remember it that way. A lot of the buzz back then was Trotz was a lame duck and Reirden was actually running things. There was plenty of discussion and debate about whether BT was walking away or if the Caps pushed him out.

Most of the consensus was BT was on the hot seat while the team struggled in the early parts of the final season, and BT took the failure to offer him an extension as the nail in the coffin. What happened after that is a he-said-she-said of offers and rejections etc. that nobody seemed to be happy about.
I was referring to after he left. All of islander nation couldn’t wait to tell caps fans how dumb they were for letting him go. I agree with what you said before they went their separate ways. I’ve definitely said my opinion in other threads. Think trots and the caps were ready to go their separate ways not expecting to beat Columbus. Then the unthinkable happened. The caps turned into the team they were always supposed to be the previous 3 years and caught lightning in a bottle. Think everyone involved was unsure of what to do after that

Reactions: g00n

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
that performance in a key game against a team we were better than and largely dominating kind of robbed the franchise of any sort of post-Cup momentum

I know you're not bagging on Holtby, but I was looking at his playoff stats a couple weeks ago, and man, were we ever lucky to have that guy without ever really having to pay him big.

He played 82 playoff games for us from the beginning of his career through the Cup win. 92.9%, 2.04 GAA, 6 shutouts. The team and coaches let him down 4 of those years where he was insanely, almost impossibly good. The year we won the Cup we all know he was pretty damn great, and that year his stats were slightly *inferior* to his career playoff averages that include 3 years where he was just a normal human. That's insane.

Hockey history will likely forget him for the most part, but that dude was easily our best-ever goalie and one of our best players overall. One shaky game where he gave up 3? I'll get over it. The team owed him a bunch and he cashed one it. *shrug* ;)

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin

View attachment 898508

I get it, but I wonder how often some guys just want to get off the ice and get to that fridge.

/full60min
One time when my dad and I were at the Roy Roger's doing the pregame dinner on the way to a game at the old Capital Centre in Landover (or Largo) in the late 70s, I remember my dad telling me that all the hockey players like to have a few beers after the game. He did make it seem like he would agree that "a couple of glasses of...beer is normal," or maybe four or so. I didn't really ask how he knew that.

• Haha
Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am more of a straight bourbon guy. Don’t even put a rock in it anymore (after getting schooled up by a distiller). I buy bourbon to drink it, not collect it, but I get some pretty cool stuff.
I heard a new trick and may try it tonight actually. Pour your rock free bourbon and whisk it. that separates the ethanol up to the top. Sip that off. Viola, you have a new way to drink your bourbon presume bringing out the notes more prominently or some shit. I have no idea I just buy the most expensive bourbons and try to blend in with the herd of experts.

Lets drink one for Trotz.

Reactions: DWGie26

43sfriends

Dec 2, 2018
I won't mention the T word again, sorry guys..

I'm excited about Carbs, most of the moves this year (esp. on D), and our prospect pool not being bottom of the barrel finally. I'd really like to see us go double or nothing for Laine. I'm afraid we have way too many players with 'offensive potential' but too few proven scorers for real success.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Isn't it amazing that our roster and pipeline have taken strides? It's shocking what a bit of cap space and some savvy deals can do.
Hopefully we can keep flipping so we're in good shape for a rebuild in a couple years. We're on the right track.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully we can keep flipping so we're in good shape for a rebuild in a couple years. We're on the right track.
Sounds like you’re expecting a big teardown of some sort after Ovechkin is gone (and I admit I have previously said I expect a painful rebuild)…but prior GMBM has them positioned well if they need to go that route, but I don’t think they’re expecting to go down it if Leonard (and other youngsters) blossoms, PLD turns out decent, etc….

Ad

Ad

Ad