Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not necessarily Caps roster related anymore but this picture of Vrana popped up on my Instagram and he looks terrible. Wonder if this is the end of the line for him. Hopefully he gets the help he needs, or more so hopefully this picture isn’t representative of his actual health at the moment.

1723640660620.png

• Wow
Reactions: PlushMinus

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned what Dallas has done. It was a solid mix of draft picks (some lucky) and free agents. I like that model and i think the Caps can do better. But they need to hit on a few things. Not all of them because that is impossible. We need good/greatness to emerge from a mix of Strome, PLD, McM, Lappy, Protas, Cherchrun, Roy, Mangi. If we can beat the odds we will be looking young and solid.
NYR too -- of what I would say are their five best players three were in the system if not critical players for them before their "retool" (Shesterkin, Kreider, Zibanejad) one was the biggest UFA signing of the last 10 years (Panarin) and one was a college UFA (Fox).

Reactions: DWGie26

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
NYR too -- of what I would say are their five best players three were in the system if not critical players for them before their "retool" (Shesterkin, Kreider, Zibanejad) one was the biggest UFA signing of the last 10 years (Panarin) and one was a college UFA (Fox).
Its crazy how lucky the Rangers got with Shesterkin and Fox. Thank god Lafreniere and Kakko haven't worked out... so far.

Reactions: DWGie26 and qc14

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
Its crazy how lucky the Rangers got with Shesterkin and Fox. Thank god Lafreniere and Kakko haven't worked out... so far.
I have a feeling Lafreniere is going to have a major breakout season next year. After putting up 28 goals in the regular season and 8 goals/14pts in 16 playoffs games, he looked like a much different and more confident player than he has before. Kakko is definitely going to continue underwhelming everyone though lol

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I have a feeling Lafreniere is going to have a major breakout season next year. After putting up 28 goals in the regular season and 8 goals/14pts in 16 playoffs games, he looked like a much different and more confident player than he has before. Kakko is definitely going to continue underwhelming everyone though lol
I've said that about Lafreniere before, maybe next season is the one.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Yea there are advantages and disadvantages inherent to (almost) every market. NYR unfortunately have taken full advantage of theirs with Fox and Panarin.

Reactions: um

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah especially as 26 of his 28 goals were at even strength. If they play him on PP1 40+ goals is realistic. But looking at their depth chart who does he replace? Would have to be Krieder (also a left hand shot) or Trochek (right hand shot but a center).

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Going back a bit further, the Rangers had a series of high draft picks misses (though Lafreniere broke out last year).

2017 - Took Lias Anderson 7 overall
2018 - Took Vitali Kravtsov 8 overall
2019 - Took Kappo Kakko 2 overall
(and then of course Lafreniere 2020 1st overall)

If those picks were stronger, NYR would be a dynasty. On the flip side, they did pull Chytil and Miller out of late first round picks in the same stretch.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Going back a bit further, the Rangers had a series of high draft picks misses (though Lafreniere broke out last year).

2017 - Took Lias Anderson 7 overall
2018 - Took Vitali Kravtsov 8 overall
2019 - Took Kappo Kakko 2 overall
(and then of course Lafreniere 2020 1st overall)

If those picks were stronger, NYR would be a dynasty. On the flip side, they did pull Chytil and Miller out of late first round picks in the same stretch.
Conversely, if they weren’t located in NYC, they’d be a bottom feeder. They got Fox and Panarin (for free) only because they’re in New York, same with Trouba though he’s more of a net negative at this point. It’s a hell of a lot easier to rebuild when you’re gifted a Norris Trophy winning defenseman and 90+ point superstar.

The Rangers suck at developing players. Who was their last homegrown talent up front? Chris Kreider? Most of their top picks bust. They tried their best to f*** up Lafreniere too. They sure can pick goalies though, no doubt about that. They’re the NHL version of the Green Bay Packers with QBs.

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
Less than two months from the opener. Which game(s) do y’all have circled on the calendar? For us, it’s 10/29 against the Rangers, which I have already rearranged my work schedule to attend, and 12/31 against the Bruins, for which I will do the same if necessary.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Less than two months from the opener. Which game(s) do y’all have circled on the calendar? For us, it’s 10/29 against the Rangers, which I have already rearranged my work schedule to attend, and 12/31 against the Bruins, for which I will do the same if necessary.
On TV, NJD on 10/12 and 10/19 -- they missed last year and definitely see our spot as the one to take, I think these will be good gut-checks to see where we fall.

I feel as I've gotten older and the team has gotten worse I've also become more of a "want to see the best players in person" guy. Edmonton coming towards the end of February and Colorado on 11/21 are also circled for me for that reason. Feel like we've had a surprising amount of recent success against COL but always get smoked by EDM

Reactions: NoVaCapsFan

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Rebuilding isn’t easy but usually necessary. If it was easy to build a winner and not rebuild, everyone would be the next dynasty.

Yeah, but if everyone was the next dynasty there'd be competitive parity and half the league still wouldn't make the playoffs. So... maybe... maybe it's happening right now and we just don't know it!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Corby78

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Honestly love this. I actually think he could still turn it around. It's not as if his on ice skill is the reason for his issues.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Honestly love this. I actually think he could still turn it around. It's not as if his on ice skill is the reason for his issues.
He's entering his age 28 season, so he's not over the hill but he's not a kid either. I like this a lot too and would absolutely love a redemption story but I think expectations should be tempered... a 28-year old with his talent level and skill set is coming back to us on a PTO for a reason.

Best case scenario to start feels like a Sonny Milano path where he gets a two-way offer, starts in Hershey, and gets called up and grabs a permanent spot in the lineup.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Conversely, if they weren’t located in NYC, they’d be a bottom feeder. They got Fox and Panarin (for free) only because they’re in New York, same with Trouba though he’s more of a net negative at this point. It’s a hell of a lot easier to rebuild when you’re gifted a Norris Trophy winning defenseman and 90+ point superstar.

The Rangers suck at developing players. Who was their last homegrown talent up front? Chris Kreider? Most of their top picks bust. They tried their best to f*** up Lafreniere too. They sure can pick goalies though, no doubt about that. They’re the NHL version of the Green Bay Packers with QBs.
It's the same conversation we had in the other thread regarding Caps D. Are the Rangers bad at developing forwards, or have they taken the wrong players? Lias Andersson and Vitali Kravtsov have failed to produce elsewhere which suggests the latter.

To answer your question directly (and ignoring Lafreniere since someone taken first overall should be a good player), I'd say Chytil, who is a solid 3rd line center. Not exactly one to hang your hat on but not a bad result for a late first rounder.

The Rangers real success (as much as it pains me) has been developing D. Yes, they lucked into Fox, but they have homegrown guys in Schneider and Miller and Lindgren* all playing big roles plus they parlayed Nils Lundkvist into a 1st and 4th via trade.

*Boston draft pick but went college then Hartford (NYR AHL affiliate) so I give NYR most of the credit

Othmann and Perreault are the next two Rangers draft picks who might be able to answer the first question (can NYR develop forwards.. hopefully not).

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not necessarily Caps roster related anymore but this picture of Vrana popped up on my Instagram and he looks terrible. Wonder if this is the end of the line for him. Hopefully he gets the help he needs, or more so hopefully this picture isn’t representative of his actual health at the moment.

View attachment 900966
Was looking at this. He simply looks…..thin. Sure his hair is messed up, but I assume he was just playing a lot of soccer?

I mean — is he gaunt because he’s been training his ass off — or is he gaunt because “substances” — or is this just his body these days?

And now that he’s here for a PTO… well… 🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
At this point in my life, I'd rather have watchable hockey 6-8 months out of the year for the foreseeable future than endure years of having no chance and no reason to even follow the team just for a remote chance at a cup if the stars align some years down the road. Maybe I'm just getting old.
I understand I don’t want to watch a bad team for multiple seasons either. But I also don’t want to live in the middle ground for decades like the 80/90s. It took top 5 picks to give us an actual top tier team. I hope the accumulation of picks the last couple years pays off and that’s all it takes. Along with good cap management, trades, free agents etc.. and we are off and running again. But if this team is still bad this year the big red tank needs to come out again at the TDL.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I understand I don’t want to watch a bad team for multiple seasons either. But I also don’t want to live in the middle ground for decades like the 80/90s. It took top 5 picks to give us an actual top tier team. I hope the accumulation of picks the last couple years pays off and that’s all it takes. Along with good cap management, trades, free agents etc.. and we are off and running again. But if this team is still bad this year the big red tank needs to come out again at the TDL.
While this is all technically true, we spent more than a decade watching that "top tier" team not get any farther than most of those "middle ground" teams, playoff-wise. Obviously, getting Ovie changed the franchise forever, but the young guns weren't a total panacea either. I'd like to see them build a competitive team, and I don't much care how they do it. If they believe they can get there without a tear-down, then go for it. If they're wrong, the tear-down will come.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Varna is for one two things. Creating competition at camp (good) and taking a chance on someone you know and probably have a higher regard to.

I like what the Caps are doing. They have (now) about 3 too many forwards and 1 too many Dee. This will all shake out and it will be based on what they do on the ice.

It will be an exciting camp. We have young guys fighting for spots. We have reclamation projects trying to save their careers. We have players trying to establish themselves as NHLers. We have players trying to climb the depth chart. All good.

May the best players win. I trust Carberry to sort that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad