Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
While this is all technically true, we spent more than a decade watching that "top tier" team not get any farther than most of those "middle ground" teams, playoff-wise. Obviously, getting Ovie changed the franchise forever, but the young guns weren't a total panacea either. I'd like to see them build a competitive team, and I don't much care how they do it. If they believe they can get there without a tear-down, then go for it. If they're wrong, the tear-down will come.
While there is no denying there is an underlying “underachievement” banner with the Ovie era (not me complaining). I would argue we weren’t losing cups to mid tier teams. Maybe we lost a bad series to a Montreal, but the goal is a cup, and Montreal didn’t do that.

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
It’s hard to win a cup. The best team doesn’t always win. Caps could well have gone out in round 1 to CBJ in 2018, but for a great bounce from Eller. Still someone has to win, and a high-achieving RS team that never breaks through can be called “underachieving.” Maybe it’s because this group broke through that one time, but I have learned to count my blessings having a team that is in the playoffs most years and scrapping for it until March in the others.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It sounds like Laine not playing for Columbus ever again.

Would not be shocked if a buyout is incoming

Someone is gonna get him for free. He plays almost the exact same position as Ove. I don’t know if we can have both.

But it might be worth a shot that dude is still very skilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
It sounds like Liane not playing for Columbus ever again.

Someone is gonna get him for free. He plays almost the exact same position as Ove. I don’t know if we can have both.

I want so badly for Ovie to take Laine under his wing and pass the goal scoring torch to him. I’ve been on board for acquiring him for a while now. You can’t teach that shot.

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Because I have a hockey problem, I was reading some fancistats (EvolHock) over coffee and I happened to sort the entire league on even strength defense. Top name on the list was....

TVR.

at 8.2 'EVD'. Next was Alex Vlasic at 8.1, third was...(looks, does a double-take)...Jason Robertson with 7.9 arbitrary even strength defensive value.

Lotta reasons not to take it as gospel, but homie is a good defender either way.

(On the Kepetels, Alexeyev was second at 5.1 arbitrary even strength defensive value, and Fever in third at 3.8. We don't want to talk about Alex Ovechkin's number.)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Because I have a hockey problem, I was reading some fancistats (EvolHock) over coffee and I happened to sort the entire league on even strength defense. Top name on the list was....

TVR.

at 8.2 'EVD'. Next was Alex Vlasic at 8.1, third was...(looks, does a double-take)...Jason Robertson with 7.9 arbitrary even strength defensive value.

Lotta reasons not to take it as gospel, but homie is a good defender either way.

(On the Kepetels, Alexeyev was second at 5.1 arbitrary even strength defensive value, and Fever in third at 3.8. We don't want to talk about Alex Ovechkin's number.)
As one does…

I have always liked TVR, but that is unexpected.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I enjoyed watching Vrana play here. I would like to see that again. For a minute I thought that dude was gonna be a star, offensively at least. But I would be pretty surprised to see him on the ice in game #1.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
As one does…

I have always liked TVR, but that is unexpected.
Our Dee should be much improved next year. We added both defensive and offensive skills sets. Fever and TVR as third pair is pretty strong. And then 2 NHLers after that and 4 guys in Hershey that can come up and legit play in NHL if needed. When injuries occur (and they will), Fever and TVR can both play up.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Our Dee should be much improved next year. We added both defensive and offensive skills sets. Fever and TVR as third pair is pretty strong. And then 2 NHLers after that and 4 guys in Hershey that can come up and legit play in NHL if needed. When injuries occur (and they will), Fever and TVR can both play up.
Yeah.

I mean, let us be honest.

The Chychrun/Roy moves — especially if JC6 plays well and earns a new contract with us — is very similar to the Niskanen/Orpik summer.

And that was what set up the team for years of solid D lineups and play. Sure, they had some other seasoned defenders then, beforehand — and they do now as well.

Mike Green was 29, and had already moved past his “Super Powers” seasons. Then they had 27yr Alzner, 26yr Carlson, and 23yr Orlov (in the minors)

Now they have 36yr Carlson, 32yr TVR (14-15 team didn’t have these guys), and 24yr old Sandin, 25yr Fever, and 25yr Alexeyev.

There’s a lot of similarities, IMO, between the 2 summers, for the D Core.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Yeah.

I mean, let us be honest.

The Chychrun/Roy moves — especially if JC6 plays well and earns a new contract with us — is very similar to the Niskanen/Orpik summer.

And that was what set up the team for years of solid D lineups and play. Sure, they had some other seasoned defenders then, beforehand — and they do now as well.

Mike Green was 29, and had already moved past his “Super Powers” seasons. Then they had 27yr Alzner, 26yr Carlson, and 23yr Orlov (in the minors)

Now they have 36yr Carlson, 32yr TVR (14-15 team didn’t have these guys), and 24yr old Sandin, 25yr Fever, and 25yr Alexeyev.

There’s a lot of similarities, IMO, between the 2 summers, for the D Core.
I don't really see the similarities outside of adding two top 4 D in the same summer. TVR, Sandin and Alexeyev aren't in the same ballpark as anyone on that D roster. Mike Green was mostly on our third pairing and put up 45 points in 72 games so he was cooked by any means.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't really see the similarities outside of adding two top 4 D in the same summer. TVR, Sandin and Alexeyev aren't in the same ballpark as anyone on that D roster. Mike Green was mostly on our third pairing and put up 45 points in 72 games so he was cooked by any means.
I’d love to see Alexyev more playing time but that isn’t going to happen unless there is an injury. Although i could see them rotating him in if Carbs doesn’t like how someone is playing.

I’m also hoping we see more offense from Sandin when he is paired with Roy. That could open him up a bit.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I’d love to see Alexyev more playing time but that isn’t going to happen unless there is an injury. Although i could see them rotating him in if Carbs doesn’t like how someone is playing.

I’m also hoping we see more offense from Sandin when he is paired with Roy. That could open him up a bit.
If Sandin continues his play from last year he'll find himself on the third pairing and potentially watching some games. In fact I expect him to start at 3LD and would be surprised if he finds his way up the lineup.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Never said TVR was.

Green #1 then = Carlson #1 now
I think Sandin could grow into an Orlov. No question he could.
I think Fehervary could be better than Alzner. No question there, either.
Alexeyev is also somewhat akin to Orlov. Dima missed the entire age 24 season, from the NHL. Alexeyev isn’t established. Neither was Dima.

The team doesn’t have a young Carlson (although ironically the new JC is only 26, same as Carlson was back then).

Caps are one more really good D-man away from having a heckuva group…..if they don’t already right now.

TVR or Sandin or Fever upgrade, if necessary, could be insane.

I’m just musing here, but this feels a little like back then.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If Sandin continues his play from last year he'll find himself on the third pairing and potentially watching some games. In fact I expect him to start at 3LD and would be surprised if he finds his way up the lineup.
I think you underestimate him, but whatevs.

It doesn’t even need to be Sandin. It could be Fever. Or Alexeyev. Or hell, Iorio down the line.

Caps have 3 top 4, with ease. It’s who fits rhe 4/5/6 and with whom, that will be fun to see.

Someone will claim it, I’d wager. Someone will stand up.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024

I still think they would be in it if they hadn't gotten PLD instead. As of right now I think they would need to move out another forward (probably McMichael) as well as have CBJ retain 50% and basically not ask for anything back for it to make sense.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Is the window to buy people out still open? That's a lot of dead money if they do it right now. If they do though - there will be a lot of more appealing options for him to sign with. The Caps have a logjam on forward position and none of them other than 86-year old Ovechkin have a game breaking ability.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If the caps got Laine and kept Vrana they could play with PLD on the "REDEMPTION LINE". I have so much more faith in that being a failed experience tho.

I still think they would be in it if they hadn't gotten PLD instead. As of right now I think they would need to move out another forward (probably McMichael) as well as have CBJ retain 50% and basically not ask for anything back for it to make sense.
fine with that. CM doesnt wow in anyway. could be wrong and he may turn out great

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
1724089843022.png

1724089855266.png

off the top of my head the spcial ticket items aren't as good this year. Last year nearly every of the Caps hockey / basketball / football / soccer jerseys were special ticket item. Haven't looked in detail to the schedule but just off the top that does scream out :(

As a STH I am entitled to those items for an extra fee so I was hoping to grab some cool jerseys

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
One replica jersey but no caps football/basketball/soccer/baseball night which is a bummer. Probably the worst I can decipher from the schedule upon quick review, but 3 bobbleheads (all 3 dual) does make up for it somewhat

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Noting the combined Bondra/Kolzig bobblehead night. Eternally holding out hope that they get their jerseys retired.

(Either retire them or let others use 12. This non-committal thing is BS.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad