Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
After Kuzy left the team last year Ovy had 22 g 12 a in 35 games. Prior to that 9 g 22 a in 44 games.
I highly doubt that's what caused his early season slump. I pointed it out several times last year. For most of the beginning of the season you could see giant cupping bruises all over ovis neck/shoulder on the one side. Later in the season they were no longer there. I think he was banged up early in the year and got healthy.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I agree w the health issue diagnosis. There were way too many times that I saw Ovi “pass out” of his office when he had clear shooting opportunities. I saw more of that early last season, than I have ever. Easily.

I think he had a back/neck/torso problem that prevented him from doing his “full turret” lasers from his office.

Which as we all know right now, is really *everything* for his game, these days.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't particularly think a Dubois-Ovechkin duo will be any good but it won't be worse than Kuznetsov-Ovechkin.

I'm going to go with 32 goals. 35 if he plays the full 82, but I'm expecting him to miss 5-10 games this year.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I highly doubt that's what caused his early season slump. I pointed it out several times last year. For most of the beginning of the season you could see giant cupping bruises all over ovis neck/shoulder on the one side. Later in the season they were no longer there. I think he was banged up early in the year and got healthy.
Ovechkin and Kuznetsov looked awful together and Carberry kept playing them together. I’d say your linemates have a very big impact on your production.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Reactions: YippieKaey

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean what pro athlete is dumb enough to not seek medical attention/support from their own team? Dude is a complete book of dumb decisions.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Even taking everything in the interview at face value -- which I'm not I'm willing to do -- just incredibly stupid and selfish of him that he was that hurt and yet was still playing and not telling the team about it.

Hope he gets healthy and will always thank him for 2018 but his play and behavior is probably the single biggest reason they haven't won a series since.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't particularly think a Dubois-Ovechkin duo will be any good but it won't be worse than Kuznetsov-Ovechkin.

I'm going to go with 32 goals. 35 if he plays the full 82, but I'm expecting him to miss 5-10 games this year.
It will be interesting to see who they pair with OV. Gotta think it won’t be McMichael at 1C. I didn’t think Strome was great with OV. So that means it will be someone new, either PLD or perhaps Lapierre. I’d go PLD at 1C to start. And then 1RW could be Mangiapani, Wilson, McMichael or Protas. I like Protas at 1RW. OV-PLD-Protas.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
It will be interesting to see who they pair with OV. Gotta think it won’t be McMichael at 1C. I didn’t think Strome was great with OV. So that means it will be someone new, either PLD or perhaps Lapierre. I’d go PLD at 1C to start. And then 1RW could be Mangiapani, Wilson, McMichael or Protas. I like Protas at 1RW. OV-PLD-Protas.
I'm a big fan of Strome with Ovi. He's basically the only guy to get good underlying 5v5 numbers with him since Backstrom in like 2017. Right now I would do:
Ovi-Strome-Wilson
McM-PLD-Mangiapane
Milano-Lap-Protas
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

I think Mangiapane is more of a shooter than Wilson and Protas even though they're all power forward types so I'd rather have him with McMichael and PLD who aren't really finishers. Lappy has earned the 3c role over McM and Milano and Protas are great play-driving wingers. Duhaime and Raddysh slot directly in for Malenstyn and NAK next to the best 4c in the league. You probably have the top two lines playing around the same TOI, "4th" line stays in the brutal matchups, 3rd line gets the rest

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Not buying it

I'm not buying it either. Too many contradictory statements that don't make any sense. It sounds like a kid that got caught with their hand in the cookie jar trying to come up with a story on the spot. I'm glad we're finally free of him and his drama.

Also, I dig your avatar. Jar of Flies is one of my favorite records.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I always thought Kuzy would just crush it the year after he was traded. I just didn’t expect that to be in the KHL.

Seems like he’s at least aware of his past bad decisions, and that a lot if not most people doubt him on all levels until he can prove otherwise. This is the kind of motivation pros thrive on typically.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I always thought Kuzy would just crush it the year after he was traded. I just didn’t expect that to be in the KHL.

Seems like he’s at least aware of his past bad decisions, and that a lot if not most people doubt him on all levels until he can prove otherwise. This is the kind of motivation pros thrive on typically.
OTOH, if I were a party boy athlete who just got nailed for breaking the rules and wanted to build myself some excuse runway with the next league, I might blame all my problems on some ailment that you can scapegoat for performance or failed drug tests, if such tests are even a thing in the other league. Reset the strikes to zero.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Does KHL drug test?
Yes but they test to make sure you ARE doing drugs.

1722887849405.jpeg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The world needs a sport that allows hecks promotes drinking smoking drugs drunks roids no gender ahem issues... oh wait I think we already have it... Professional Wrestling.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I'm a big fan of Strome with Ovi. He's basically the only guy to get good underlying 5v5 numbers with him since Backstrom in like 2017. Right now I would do:
Ovi-Strome-Wilson
McM-PLD-Mangiapane
Milano-Lap-Protas
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

I think Mangiapane is more of a shooter than Wilson and Protas even though they're all power forward types so I'd rather have him with McMichael and PLD who aren't really finishers. Lappy has earned the 3c role over McM and Milano and Protas are great play-driving wingers. Duhaime and Raddysh slot directly in for Malenstyn and NAK next to the best 4c in the league. You probably have the top two lines playing around the same TOI, "4th" line stays in the brutal matchups, 3rd line gets the rest
These are all good thoughts. If OV and Strome are together I’d like to see Mangiapani as 1RW as a look.

What I like about this roster is a lot of people can plan up and down the lineup and left to right. 6 centers with CMM and Protas. Milano, Duhaime and Raddysh will all have to earn spots. And they should. I would like to see Frank as 13F. Trineyev, Sutter are probably only ones who can push for a spot. And Oshie?

Competition is good!

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Ovi-Strome-Wilson
McM-PLD-Mangiapane
Milano-Lap-Protas
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

It's probably not a coincidence. Strome's style is similar to Backstrom's, at least in a sense that neither one relies on speed to make plays. Both of them play a cerebral style of hockey, they slow down the play as opposed to doing everything at 100 miler per hour. So i think there is at least some familiarity there for Ovi.

Reactions: um and qc14

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
These are all good thoughts. If OV and Strome are together I’d like to see Mangiapani as 1RW as a look.

What I like about this roster is a lot of people can plan up and down the lineup and left to right. 6 centers with CMM and Protas. Milano, Duhaime and Raddysh will all have to earn spots. And they should. I would like to see Frank as 13F. Trineyev, Sutter are probably only ones who can push for a spot. And Oshie?

Competition is good!
Yea I think in the (unlikely) event that Oshie is good to go he comes in for Milano -- I actually think Milano is an underrated defensive player and it doesn't necessarily means he goes to the press box but might be battling with Duhaime/Raddysh for one of the 4w spots. Unfortunately, neither Oshie or Milano seem capable of going a full season healthy so it's probably a moot point anyways.

I'm not sold on Sutter -- he's 24 (not much runway left) and I think the fact they brought in Raddysh AND Duhaime is pretty indicative of his spot on the depth chart. Trineyev I have more hope for but feels like he needs one more year. He was awesome in the cup run though. Frank will get his shot at some point but he's not more than a 13F to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3