Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is a pretty big deal. Not sure how to read it though.
100%. I’m not sure whether I either “don’t like it”, or “I don’t care”. I don’t see a world where I “like it”.

I mean, at first blush, it’s nepotism at its finest. The “big bosses” kid gets a big job. Shocker, news at 11.

That said, Chris has certainly seemed to earn his stripes here. He was a player (and a Caps draft pick, to boot), has been a scout, in management, as a leader (Hershey’s GM past few yrs), and has obviously won TWO championships for the Bears.

So he’s also got chops!

I also am not thrilled GMBM isn’t GMBM. He’s PBM. With GMCP. I don’t know…….

Now GMBM is following GMGM. Prez w a GM.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
100%. I’m not sure whether I either “don’t like it”, or “I don’t care”. I don’t see a world where I “like it”.

I mean, at first blush, it’s nepotism at its finest. The “big bosses” kid gets a big job. Shocker, news at 11.

That said, Chris has certainly seemed to earn his stripes here. He was a player (and a Caps draft pick, to boot), has been a scout, in management, as a leader (Hershey’s GM past few yrs), and has obviously won TWO championships for the Bears.

So he’s also got chops!

Here is CP's challenge. He's going to be judged (partially) the nepotism angle by his performance in the next couple of years. That is a fair challenge just like a first time GM is going to have to prove it also based on whatever their previous experience.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The other “part” of this is … who’s really been calling the shots, all these years?

Dick Patrick? Ted?

The GM’s (George and Brian)?

Who?

I’d wager nothing changes. Whomever was ultimately calling the shots, will still do so. But the information that person is getting, will have another layer to it (Brian I’d assume…and now Chris?).

That said, maybe this allows for more specialization. Brian can now — far more easily — hand off the things he either doesn’t want/doesn’t like/isn’t good at — to Chris.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yeah, sorry, after my initial post about them being at the contract max CapFriendly updated the status to reflect the Parascak, Protas, and Allen contracts as being exempt from the 50 contract limit. @wickedwitch saw it and commented.

(Though I'm truthfully not clear why those 3 are exempt but Cristall's ELC is not. He seems to hit all of the requirements for a contract to be exempted as well - he's 19, playing in a North American junior league, and hasn't played 11 NHL games. There may be some "judgement call" on the part of CF here, anticipating high likelihood that the first 3 won't count but not quite as confident that Cristall won't. For example, maybe they're allowing for the chance that he plays in the NHL this year. But really this is probably academic at this point.)
Pretty sure it is because all of those contracts have slide potential which can only happen for one year. Cristal already had his contract slide one year so he is done.

That said Caps were in the high 30’s last year. Loaded up on contracts this year and 47 doesn’t give much wiggle room. I get more concerned about next year because we have several college players that will need contracts (Leonard, Chesley, Lemay, Guichiardi, and i think one or two more. Probably means vet players in Hershey like Sgarbossa and McIlrath will have to move to AHL contracts if they want to stay. Limoges and Priskie will both be candidates for that path as well.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

So he’s also got chops!

I know how i take it… love the move. Chris has spent 16 years with the organization. Sure he has the revered Patrick name and likely could have leveraged it more than he has. CP Did the grind as a scout, different player personnel roles, and as Assistant (and Associate GM) he oversaw Hershey where he hired two AHL coaches of the year and won back to back Calders.

An important part is there will continue to be consistency with Mac still being around and CP’s boss. Another example of the strong culture and organizational health of the organization. I suspect Dick Patrick retires the season after OV gets the record (or retires). Good times ahead.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The franchise buys Capfriendly, changes GMs, and flips like 1/3 of the roster in just a few weeks. With plans to revitalize the arena and surrounding area settled recently.

Definitely not status quo. I don't want to hear about coasting through Ovie's final years and selling tickets based entirely on the record chase.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Pretty sure it is because all of those contracts have slide potential which can only happen for one year. Cristal already had his contract slide one year so he is done.

That said Caps were in the high 30’s last year. Loaded up on contracts this year and 47 doesn’t give much wiggle room. I get more concerned about next year because we have several college players that will need contracts (Leonard, Chesley, Lemay, Guichiardi, and i think one or two more. Probably means vet players in Hershey like Sgarbossa and McIlrath will have to move to AHL contracts if they want to stay. Limoges and Priskie will both be candidates for that path as well.
ELCs can actually slide twice. It's recently happened with all of CMM, Protas, and LaPierre.

Agree that this is a situation they will need to tap dance around over the next year. But they have a lot of expiring contracts after this upcoming season, 15 or 16 from a quick count that end with the player as a UFA. As you point out, they'll need to be selective on who gets new NHL deals.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Osh sounds cooked. End of an era boys. Last hold outs are Ovi and Carlson. I guess you could add Willy to the mix but he came along a little towards the end of the dynasty. Thankfully we secured the bag when we did cause we were just about tapped out.
Sadly it feels that way. I suspect Oshie will at least start the year on LTIR while he works through things. I feel like he is much more of a realist and team friendly regarding his status. He can see the Cap ramifications to start the year. But there are always injuries and someone will end up on LTIR before the season ends opening up an opportunity to come back if he feels he can go.

I also think Oshie will be much more involved with the team and being a leader in the locker room even if not dressed.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I hope you are right with Oshie still being a part of the locker room. It sounded like he needed alot more treatment for his back and something that Caps would be doing while on LTIR.

I just get a little scared after Backstrom tested his hip out for 2 weeks went on LTIR and was not much of the team anymore.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Isn't Mac also the guy who told him he needed to quit the blogging about the team, when he interviewed? Ted used to love to wax poetic about all they accomplished(Presidents trophies, etc...)and how bright the future was, all while winning f*** all in the playoffs.

• Love
Reactions: Silky mitts

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I hope you are right with Oshie still being a part of the locker room. It sounded like he needed alot more treatment for his back and something that Caps would be doing while on LTIR.

I just get a little scared after Backstrom tested his hip out for 2 weeks went on LTIR and was not much of the team anymore.
Feels much different with Oshie. He clearly told management to do what they need to do with Cap space because there really isn’t any option other than him being on LTIR. Moving Milano and TVR won’t clear enough space.

Reactions: Calicaps and HTFN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad