Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Signed Cam Allen. Anybody who was at prospect camp notice him at all? Haven't heard a peep about him this dev camp.

I thought he consistently looked good. I never remember him struggling, there just wasn't anything he particularly shone at to call out. I believe he was one of the skaters Wendy picked out as a "semifinalist" for the little one foot skating competition. He also got stuck on the probably the worst of the 3 on 3 teams, so kinda unlucky there.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t see how Carlson’s number isn’t retirement when he’s quite frankly the best and most consistent defenseman in caps history, and we’d be lucky to get a defenseman even on his level in the next 50 years
I'd say Langway and Stevens were both better, but I get your point and agree. He should have a Norris trophy, it was horseshit he didn't win in 2019-20.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Stevens was better but the bulk of his career was elsewhere. Carlson owns pretty much every major D stat for the Caps…
Already 1st amongst Caps defensemen in GP, G, A, and P. Overall he's 3rd in GP (will pass Backstrom for 2nd within two years), 3rd in A, and 5th in P. He's 36th all time in points by a defenseman, and I think he's probably inside the top 25 by the time his current contract ends. Played 25:38 a night as the 1D on the run to the team's first Cup. Hasn't played for any other clubs. I dunno how people think he's not earned having his jersey in the rafters.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I've never actually seen this before ... Caps are apparently now at the maximum of 50 players under contract with the team.

Blues and Kraken are at 49, Pens are at 48. Columbus has the least with 37.

1720361953879.png

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

Nope, don't like that.
Here’s what you can take away from this, Jimi will be the best player on this team. Carberry knows this, and will facilitate.

Super excited for October.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Too many centers? Oh, the horror.

3 guys have earned their C slot already. Strome, Lapierre and Dowd. Let the other 2 fight it out, it's not really a big deal since whoever loses out is going to still get a top-6 wing spot. Both are familiar on the wing and through the season there will be injuries and struggles.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Here’s what you can take away from this, Jimi will be the best player on this team. Carberry knows this, and will facilitate.
I think the takeaway is that you're reading into it what you want too.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ovy played his best last year with Lappy on his line, I read that like CMM can play on Lappy’s wing if Lappy doesn’t look good opposite Ovy centered by Strome or PLD
I’m assuming Lapierre is more highly regarded by the Caps and focusing on Carbery’s implication CMM hasn’t been moved from C.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Too many centers? Oh, the horror.

3 guys have earned their C slot already. Strome, Lapierre and Dowd. Let the other 2 fight it out, it's not really a big deal since whoever loses out is going to still get a top-6 wing spot. Both are familiar on the wing and through the season there will be injuries and struggles.
Making a massive gamble on PLD just to make him fight it out with our 33 point 3C for a center spot seems insane to me. The only path to PLD being remotely worth that contract is if the Caps can rehab him as a center and get him back to what he was in Winnipeg as a low-end 1C.

To me, McMichael's very clearly the odd man out to the point that a competition really isn't necessary. Strome with two straight 60 point seasons is obviously locked in to a top 6 center spot. Dowd is locked into another to play the shutdown role again. Then between PLD, Lapierre, and McMichael you've got two guys who, if they hit their realistic ceiling, will radically alter the trajectory of this franchise, and one guy who, if he hits his realistic ceiling, is an ok 2C or a strong 3C. The Caps have shown this offseason that they know they need to gamble on upside, and that means McMichael moves to wing, even though he struggles there.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t think we need to sweat all of this.

I do fully agree that PLD needs to be a top 6C. He and Strome.

That said, Lapierre should be a top 6F as well. CMM would “seem” to be the most capable of being that 3C. I don’t think Lapierre’s game is 3C material (1C or 2C), so he can play wing w Strome. And/or Strome can play wing with him.

Ovechkin - PLD - Protas
Lapierre - Strome - Mangiapane
Milano - CMM - Wilson
Duhaime - Dowd - Raddysh
Sgarbossa

I personally think that’s our best 13, right there. IF Oshie can somehow play (and the team can shed salary to make it work?)

Ovechkin - PLD - Mangiapane
Lapierre - Strome - Oshie
Milano - CMM - Wilson
Duhaime - Dowd - Protas
Raddysh

But I don’t expect Oshie to play, unfortunately

Reactions: um and Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I can see every player in that roster sliding all the way up to 1st and down to 4th line at every position, except Ovie is locked at 1LW and Strome/PLD will be some combo of 1C/2C. Maybe Dowd locked in at 4C but the TOI could make that a moot assignment.

Beyond that, who knows.

Not sure if that's good or bad. For flexibility and line adjustments it's clearly good. But it could also mean we don't really have a clear distinction among our top 6 and bottom 6 especially on the wing. That usually means you lack the top guys instead of the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad