Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Pretty sure you told me last week chychrun couldn't be had for Jensen+ so....
I read that Minny was close to moving 13th OA for McGroarty at the draft, but then Buium slid and they went for him instead. So I’d say the value for him is in that vicinity.
I would guess Ehlers is a 1st + a great prospect/promising NHLer or the equivalent. Plus the whole salary situation, Ehlers needs to fit under the cap.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Another benefit to the Roy signing: not trading for Trouba. I was a bit worried he’d land in Washington if we’re being honest. Washington had the cap space to take on a retained Trouba, DC isn’t far from NYC which wouldn’t upend his personal life completely with his wife finishing residency, and BMac voiced a desire to redo the blue line. Plus Trouba fits their M.O. of having big, physical players. I don’t know if Washington was on his no-trade list but the Caps seemingly checked a lot of boxes for teams Trouba would accept a trade for and that worried me.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Kinda digging this land of misfit toys vibe they’re leaning into. The players on the Caps have heard they’re shit and the team only cares about Ovi’s record for the past few years plus you add in guys who have been told they suck or they’re overrated or team cancers in guys like PLD, Mango, and Chychrun (Strome and Milano count here as well) and you’ve got a locker room of mostly younger guys, or guys looking to prove people wrong. Add that with a coach in Carbs who is young and fiery and definitely leans into the us against the world mentality and you have the makings of a scrappy yet talented group with a lot to prove this season.

Exactly. It's this post and one Cali made about the character of this organization... This is why I keep showing up even when times are tough. Probably helped that it was nothing but tough times for three decades prior to this era... Helped condition us to cope.

I like that we fight. I like that we don't tank and turtle the way the Oilers and Leafs did for years trying to game the system and get ahead. I like that we have to overcome not being one of the more desirable clubs for free agents. I like that we're perpetually underdogs. And I like that we seem to end up with players and occasionally coaches that like all that about us, too.

Bring on the misfit toys. I dig the vibe. Sure beats just tapping our feet and staring at our watches waiting for 895. That we're making real, smart strides in the meantime is encouraging.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Kinda digging this land of misfit toys vibe they’re leaning into. The players on the Caps have heard they’re shit and the team only cares about Ovi’s record for the past few years plus you add in guys who have been told they suck or they’re overrated or team cancers in guys like PLD, Mango, and Chychrun (Strome and Milano count here as well) and you’ve got a locker room of mostly younger guys, or guys looking to prove people wrong. Add that with a coach in Carbs who is young and fiery and definitely leans into the us against the world mentality and you have the makings of a scrappy yet talented group with a lot to prove this season.
This is where TJ would do so much for the team. The vet that’s seen/done it all, but acts like a kid. He’s a bridge type guy.

I’ve read that Mangiapane is similar. So maybe that’s part of that design.

Would rather boot TVR/Bear to wherever and see Oshie play, than him on LTIR. And if he just can’t (and sure, it’s quite possible that they already know he’s done, so this post is bunk), then you have his LTIR space during the season to add whatever you want.

It’s just almost a year off, for TJ.

Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t think we need to add anything more. I’d actually like to move Milano. Everyone else I’d like to see play. We will have good callups from Hershey and some guys who can come up as needed. Then asses in January and make plans depending on what is happening.

Also, I’m not convinced TJ is done. I think the league will give latitude and LTIR position is defendable. But I’d like to see him on opening roster if not later in the year. He brings so much to the room!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This is where TJ would do so much for the team. The vet that’s seen/done it all, but acts like a kid. He’s a bridge type guy.

Would rather boot TVR/Bear to wherever and see Oshie play, than him on LTIR. And if he just can’t (and sure, it’s quite possible that they already know he’s done, so this post is bunk), then you have his LTIR space during the season to add whatever you want.

Funny we posted similar things about TJ at same time. I want him in the room!

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I don’t think we need to add anything more. I’d actually like to move Milano. Everyone else I’d like to see play. We will have good callups from Hershey and some guys who can come up as needed. Then asses in January and make plans depending on what is happening.

Also, I’m not convinced TJ is done. I think the league will give latitude and LTIR position is defendable. But I’d like to see him on opening roster if not later in the year. He brings so much to the room!
I don’t see how it would work given the cap.

TVR seriously slowed down last year so would have loved to see him punted. But the two D adds no complaints there.
The summer is young.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

Sorry to say this, but with the moves the Caps have made I think it's all but guaranteed that he's done. Fitting him into this roster would be really difficult. Just moving TVR and Bear isn't enough, because taking those two out and putting Oshie in leaves the Caps with less than 100K in cap room with only a 21 man roster. To fit Oshie you'd have to also trade Milano, play Alexeyev on his off side as the 3RD, and then they can just barely fit two league minimum healthy scratches to get the roster up to 22, leaving them with no flexibility to call up additional players when there are short term injuries.

Alternatively, with Oshie on LTIR, they can ice a 22 man roster with Sgarbossa and Alexeyev as the scratches and Bear in Hershey and still have 1.15M in cap room for an additional call up when needed.

Just by Occam's Razor, the Oshie LTIRetirement scenario feels way more plausible to me than the idea that they're planning to dump 3 players from the current roster to make room for him.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Sorry to say this, but with the moves the Caps have made I think it's all but guaranteed that he's done. Fitting him into this roster would be really difficult. Just moving TVR and Bear isn't enough, because taking those two out and putting Oshie in leaves the Caps with less than 100K in cap room with only a 21 man roster. To fit Oshie you'd have to also trade Milano, play Alexeyev on his off side as the 3RD, and then they can just barely fit two league minimum healthy scratches to get the roster up to 22, leaving them with no flexibility to call up additional players when there are short term injuries.

Alternatively, with Oshie on LTIR, they can ice a 22 man roster with Sgarbossa and Alexeyev as the scratches and Bear in Hershey and still have 1.15M in cap room for an additional call up when needed.

Just by Occam's Razor, the Oshie LTIRetirement scenario feels way more plausible to me than the idea that they're planning to dump 3 players from the current roster to make room for him.
I agree, which is why I’m paying tribute to him with my avatar.

Sammi did a Reddit AMA today during dev camp, and they asked her about TJ. She said obviously nothing is final (w/r/t his back), but given the moves BMac has made, it’s hard to see how he fits going forward.

I think at best, he just hangs around the team on LTIR while getting treatments, and if they make the playoffs he pulls a Kucherov/Stone and suits up.

Time for guys like Wilson to step into leadership roles. I could also see Strome growing into that role - in his interviews, he has the same fun, frat guy energy as TJ. He also has prior relationships with Chychrun and PLD.

Last edited:

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Adam Boqvist is still out there, un-signed. If they can move out TVR + Bear + Milano/McMichael for some additional top-6 scoring I’d definitely give him a shot at 3RD with Fehervary. It’s a move that could potentially offset Carlson’s eventual decline.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad