Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Have I got this right?

So far this offseason, Mac has turned:

Darcy Kuemper, Beck Malenstyn, a 2025 2nd, a 2024 3rd, and a 2025 3rd

into

PLD, Mango (thanks predictive text!), Logan Thompson, and a 2024 2nd (Hutson)

I am now and in the future only referring to Mangiapane as Mango.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'd like to see them get a shot but I feel like there's two depth 4th liners coming in free agency. That's a hardcore BMac move.
Sutter has paid his dues though. He’s overcooked at this point. Rybinski had a breakout playoff performance and they will need as much SC space as possible to add more salary.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
11. MacLellan and his staff are staying in Vegas for the opening of free agency on July 1.

With the draft in Las Vegas and losing three hours returning from the Pacific time zone, MacLellan said he didn’t want to spend all day Sunday in the air.

“We have a war room set up here (at the hotel),” MacLellan said, “and we’ll see what we can do.”

12. With free agency set to open Monday, MacLellan indicated that he still hopes to address the Caps’ blue line.

“We’re working on trying to make changes there,” he said.

Asked if he hoped to accomplish that on the open market or via another trade, he said: “Both. We’re going to shop around and see what we can find.”
Staying off the hammock. Sounds like someone planning on being quite active.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Love the effort and balanced aggressiveness from GMBM. This is an incredibly hard job to do well - and often the best moves a GM makes are the ones he doesn't and you never hear about. I very much appreciate GMBM.

"Stays in Vegas" Caps 2024 UFA marathon means they will be doing their best to improve the team now (last two days were for the future and they excelled, IMO). Working stay rather than play for sure.

But they will have some great food options to have brought in!

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
My quick and basic understanding is they will have to.move cap space out to go big on a UFA as any Oshie LTIR can't used in full right now.

Moving Jensen/TvR alone is 7M. Maybe Dowd is used to push those moves over the line. Some of the teams that have been taking the top piks recently have a LOT of picks left and a good amount of cap space. SJ, Utah, Chicago.. all will want to start showing on ice progress soon and our 2 year contract vets could be a help for them as it allows them to make big long term UFA moves two years down the road and have those UFAs closer in age to ther young stars.

Might see moves like that over the next day.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Monday will be interesting. I mean we've got 7 D locked in already...so if he really plans on changing up the D he's going to have to dump Jensen and/or TVR. Maybe both. I'm also curious to see how this aquire guys for short term gains to flip them for assets works out for us. Will it sour people on coming here? That seems to be his plan to compete while rebuilding. Aquire players on the low, build them up then sell them for picks. Brilliant if it works out but could make this a less than desirable destination.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
One thing about Vegas is they just don't care what anyone thinks and I love that. When you trade a player signing autographs for your team during the same time, that is pure disassociation. It's all about business with them and nothing personal with players.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Could Frank play 4th line?
Sutter - Dowd - Frank could work without dipping into FA

Frank has high end speed like Chimmer and Hags. And his scoring got much better he might not be stone hands.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If it's a UFA RD it sort of has to be Montour or Roy I guess. Pesce seemed headed to NJD. TOR traded for Tanev's rights. Marino already moved. The other guy that may be available is Faulk from STL.

Could also be a LD like Skjei but you'd think it's easier to add a 2RD while subtracting Jensen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad