Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
People act like we aren’t better with PLD and Mangiapane. What a joke.
It's more...is it enough? There will be more moves but as-is anyway hard to believe they're substantially improved.

They did need to replace Mantha's 20 goals and I guess they've done it. Still, certainly hard to see the path toward being average offensively next season. It's still going to be a challenge for them. While there could be more moves coming unless they're pretty aggressive or do indeed make very shrewd use of Oshie's LTIR space eventually it's an underwhelming start I think. Improved but...probably not vastly.

Reactions: Hivemind

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
It's more...is it enough? There will be more moves but as-is anyway hard to believe they're substantially improved.

They did need to replace Mantha's 20 goals and I guess they've done it. Still, certainly hard to see the path toward being average offensively next season. It's still going to be a challenge for them. While there could be more moves coming unless they're pretty aggressive or do indeed make very shrewd use of Oshie's LTIR space eventually it's an underwhelming start I think. Improved but...probably not vastly.
Enough to get us to the postseason, yes. Our big improvement will come from our youth.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Enough to get us to the postseason, yes. Our big improvement will come from our youth.
It's very difficult to say that with any confidence here on June 27th when so much off-season activity across the East remains. We'll see in a couple weeks how it's looking after much more clarity will exist. At least early on NJD would seem to have upgraded more significantly extent between not just Markstrom but the expected growth from their younger players as well. That's just one team but may be all it takes.

I'm sure MacLellan would like to do a good bit more but it wouldn't be the first time he's unable to find a dancing partner. We'll see. At the moment anyway something like:

Ovechkin - PLD - Wilson
Mangiapane - Strome - Oshie
Lapierre/Milano - McMichael - Protas
Malenstyn - Dowd - Miro

...still has the look of a below-average offense. Even if they tweak the blueline slightly or Oshie does indeed LTIR it still seems super mid. The other risk factor may be in net between possible regression from Lindgren and inexperience thereafter. I'd wager they'll at least add an experienced #3 to give them an additional option. Still, not the outlines of a safe playoff team to me. Finally getting Leonard sign would definitely begin to convince me. Either way the mix to me hasn't gotten firmly all that much better...even if on paper it's better. The bulk remains what it is and it's hard to say just how substantially some of those younger players stand to improve.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
It's very difficult to say that with any confidence here on June 27th when so much off-season activity across the East remains. We'll see in a couple weeks how it's looking after much more clarity will exist. At least early on NJD would seem to have upgraded more significantly extent between not just Markstrom but the expected growth from their younger players as well. That's just one team but may be all it takes.

I'm sure MacLellan would like to do a good bit more but it wouldn't be the first time he's unable to find a dancing partner. We'll see. At the moment anyway something like:

Ovechkin - PLD - Wilson
Mangiapane - Strome - Oshie
Lapierre/Milano - McMichael - Protas
Malenstyn - Dowd - Miro

...still has the look of a below-average offense. Even if they tweak the blueline slightly or Oshie does indeed LTIR it still seems super mid. The other risk factor may be in net between possible regression from Lindgren and inexperience thereafter. I'd wager they'll at least add an experienced #3 to give them an additional option. Still, not the outlines of a safe playoff team to me. Finally getting Leonard sign would definitely begin to convince me. Either way the mix to me hasn't gotten firmly all that much better...even if on paper it's better. The bulk remains what it is and it's hard to say just how substantially some of those younger players stand to improve.
the caps would need PLD to actually play like a 1C as well as likely another top six addition to be an actual average/above average offense

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ekblad reportedly being shopped

He’s expensive and not what he’s suppose to be but is he better than we have now?

Stay away. Far away.

Also I'm jealous of how calculating the Florida front office is if this story is true. Fan favorites in Huberdeau and Ekblad being cashed in for superior returns. I hope Washington follows suit!

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
By my count the Caps right now have 6.27M in cap space with this roster:

Ovie-Strome-Wilson
Mangiapane-PLD-Protas
Milano-Lapierre-Oshie
XXX-Dowd-XXX

Fehervary-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
Alexeyev-TVR
Bear

Lindgren
Shepard

If Oshie's on LTIR, the cap space becomes 12M. Trading Jensen or TVR raises it to 16M or 15M respectively. Could probably pay a team to take Bear to clear up another 2M (well, more like 1M after a replacement 7D's brought up). Still a lot of room for MacLellan to work with.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
McMichael & Malenstyn will eat up a chunk of the remaining space...assuming they're staying put. There's not that much space to work with at the moment. There could be more...but it can't be assumed. They could pay someone to take Jensen or TVR I guess and I wouldn't count that out based on how they're operating.

It seems unlikely they'll go out and spend Oshie's money out of respect to him before he actually makes a final decision. That's the way MacLellan has made it sound anyway, with perhaps additional moves to come later in the off-season once that word comes down. Or perhaps not. At the very least it doesn't seem like they've set any kind of hard deadline. Maybe there's a wink wink understanding or something but at least outwardly the sense is there's still no resolution.

They'll look to be active in the trade market, likely on Jensen or TVR, but may basically be done. After the two RFA forwards sign they may be left with just a shade under $3M for one player. It's quickly become tight. So while they'll look to continue to be active and creatively reshape the roster it's hard to say to what extent they'll be able to execute that. Even if they could dish Jensen or TVR and sign, say, Walker I don't know how different a blueline that is really. Or how different a team they'd be bigger picture. But maybe they'll surprise me with something more substantial.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think they're gonna have to explore a way to unload Ethan Bear, even despite the optics towards the franchise essentially cutting and running from players in the NHLPA PAP twice in just a few months.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
I read it as he won't play if he doesn't "find a solution", not as "I'm going to give it a try and see what happens". I doubt any permanent solution is forthcoming that his previous doctors simply haven't thought of.

Prediction, he'll be on LTIR all season.
Could he conceivably come back for the playoffs, if we make it? Not that it's likely, but I wouldn't be opposed to some Kucherov shenanigans.

Reactions: kicksavedave

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I think the Caps are lining up to trade a forward at the draft, hence why the trade had to happen tonight. Not sure which one or who it's going to, but that's what I'm predicting.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I think the Caps are lining up to trade a forward at the draft, hence why the trade had to happen tonight. Not sure which one or who it's going to, but that's what I'm predicting.
My money’s on McMichael. I think Lapierre’s breakout at the end of the Caps’ season and on Hershey’s playoff run locked up one middle 6 center slot and the PLD trade locked up the other one. With Strome-PLD-Lapierre down the middle, Carbery's gonna want Dowd in the last slot to he can weather the crazy defensive deployments again. The Caps already know McMichael doesn't work on the wing. He feels like the clear odd man out to me. McMichael+Jensen/TVR+ for a blueline upgrade feels like the logical next step to me.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Mac said he was thinking of changing up the blue line.

So I expect him to do just that. Some salary out, use the salary thats left, and add a piece.

That may squeeze CMM. Beck won’t be more than 1m I’d wager. And they have Sgarbossa at 775k as well as the 12th or 13th. And Miro if need be.

They have options. Lots of options.

And they aren’t done. No chance.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Just to make sure i dont make a fool of me today when talking about the trade drunk.

Is it ”mantzzabaaane” and do everyone else also do the Italian hand gesture when saying that?

• Haha
Reactions: kicksavedave

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think they're gonna have to explore a way to unload Ethan Bear, even despite the optics towards the franchise essentially cutting and running from players in the NHLPA PAP twice in just a few months.
Can we get out of Bears contract? I feel like signing as a FA playing a handful of games and going into the rehab program makes GMBM looks like he got had on that 2nd year bidding against him self.

No one projects Bear on the roster next season. Is he even out of the rehab program.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can we get out of Bears contract? I feel like signing as a FA playing a handful of games and going into the rehab program makes GMBM looks like he got had on that 2nd year bidding against him self.

No one projects Bear on the roster next season. Is he even out of the rehab program.
"Get out of" = Trade.

He exited the Player Assistance Program on April 30 (which handles a lot more than just rehab and addiction issues).

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
"Get out of" = Trade.

He exited the Player Assistance Program on April 30 (which handles a lot more than just rehab and addiction issues).
Bear has to have close to 0 trade value. The options would be Hershey or Buyout. If he stays on the Caps it might be a long season of Nacho Duty for the Bear

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bear has to have close to 0 trade value. The options would be Hershey or Buyout. If he stays on the Caps it might be a long season of Nacho Duty for the Bear
The Capitals would have to pay to unload Bear's contract, but getting out of a 1 year $2M deal shouldn't cost that much in assets. But they're quickly painting themselves into a cap corner where it looks like it could be a necessary move if they want to add anything of consequence.

The first NHL buyout period ends on June 30th, so we would likely have heard something by now if they were considering buying him out, and a buyout would also dump a $917K cap hit onto the following season.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
MacLellan sure made it sound like they expect Bear at camp competing for a spot. Never say never but the buyout option doesn't seem likely. Still think that ought to be the move, though, even if it's a bit unfair. Being tight up against it and not altogether being sold on him as reliable could afford them higher upside depth.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
McMichael & Malenstyn will eat up a chunk of the remaining space...assuming they're staying put. There's not that much space to work with at the moment. There could be more...but it can't be assumed. They could pay someone to take Jensen or TVR I guess and I wouldn't count that out based on how they're operating.
not sure whats going to happen with CMC but they shouldnt pay Malenstyn more than what he was making or league minimum. Like the player but he is the standard bottom 6 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad