GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
As a 'prove me', 1 year contract, I'd do it. Still, having him, Armia and Anderson floating around could be funny/frustrating if it doesn't work out.

I've always thought he was better than Anderson and neither are comparable to Armia. He's definitely better defensively than Anderson and is generally a better 5v5 player.

I just generally like the idea of getting the fanbase to move off their obsession with big "physical" wingers. Anderson or Mantha were consistent trade targets on here from, like, 2017 to 2021.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I just don't see a space for a UFA right now, we need vets in Laval but that's about it. We have too much D, the best would be to trade one or begin with the players that need to be kept because of waivers.

F: (13)
Suzuki, Dach, Dvorak, Evans (C)
Slafkovsky, Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, Newhook, Harvey-Pinard, Pezzetta, Roy (Wings)

D: (6)
Matheson, Savard, Harris, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron (all locks, Barron needs waivers).

2 out of Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Reinbacher, Mailloux. (If we keep all of them, my guess is Hutson and Xhekaj makes the team.

The best would be to trade Armia and signs a top 9 W.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakobsbror

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
David Perron would be a perfect fit IMO. Excellent 5v5 player, good defensive game, good offensive game, cup winner, most likely to sign in our market than guys like Stamkos or Kane, over 45 points in his last 8 seasons, perfect for the second line with Dach or can even slot in the first line being a right shot with Suzuki and Slafkovsky. Good vet for the young guys.
David Perron on the first line? You gonna kill him, he is 36 years old. He is more a middle forward right

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I woul prefer Mantha over Perron for potential. Mantha, Dach and Roy could be a nice line if it clicks and would not be too costly to try. I still prefer Debrusk but this is a more affordable option.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Same, it's Stamkos or Kane, or Nothing.
Then end up with nothing most likely. Those multiple cup winners vet would have very little reason to sign here, unless we offer a considerably bigger amount of money to them than other teams. Stamkos will most likely want term too.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
What I think we need is a scoring winger for 2 years on a prove me contract that could use some MSL magic. I would target either Mantha or Kapanen and then wait for our youngsters to reach the Show.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Do we think we will hear anything about who these ufas that Gorton mentioned are today?
Seravalli mentioned we're in on Kane. People mock him, but it's precisely the kind of short-term veteran acquisition that would bring quality to our top 6. Monahan on steroids.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we are indeed trying to sign him.

A guy like Perron could be a Plan B.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I mean, if it's on a show me contract, MAYBE. I have a hard time picturing him thriving in this environment though, the fans could get on his case pretty quick. The size is nice and all, but he uses it one of every five game, at best.
I can't imagine him do worst then Anderson! He has talent and perhaps playing in MTL would ligth up a fire under his ass!

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
What I think we need is a scoring winger for 2 years on a prove me contract that could use some MSL magic. I would target either Mantha or Kapanen and then wait for our youngsters to reach the Show.
I would give Teuvo Teravainen a shot. Maybe even Jeff Skinner?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Habs already have 8 Ds for next season, they aren't sending Guhle or Xhekaj down to make place for Hutson on the line-up...and those two are the only one with anything kind of long term waiver exemption left (Struble only has 14 games left).

Since Hughes doesn't appear to have any interest in trading anyone this off-season again...Hutson will have to wait.
This is not going to happen. Integrating Hutson into the lineup this year is the key part of transitioning away from Matheson and turning him into a trade asset by next offseason.

I'm 100% sure Hutson is going to be given every opportunity to establish himself as part of the lineup.

I have a strange feeling that Montreal's looking at Mantha as a UFA target.
As a Plan B, yes, it's possible.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Then end up with nothing most likely. Those multiple cup winners vet would have very little reason to sign here, unless we offer a considerably bigger amount of money to them than other teams. Stamkos will most likely want term too.
Yes it’ll be the attraction of $. All things being equal if Habs offer Stamkos a 3yr deal at $8M AAV w $7M+ in bonus no US team can come close to matching that take home without paying more $ or term

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Best case imo...

Trade RHP & pick ('25 3rd or pens 2nd?) to Vegas for Nic Roy.

Jettison Anderson & Dvorak w/o taking back long term contract (ideally no roster player or an expiring deal we can buyout or ship to minors)

Sign Tarasenko (2@ 4.25M/per)
Sign Perron (2@ 3.75M/per)

If 1 or 2 of Barron/Harris/Kovacevic are moved as part of offloading Andy & Dvo...
Sign Hakanpaa (2@ 2.5M/per)

Slaf Suzuki CC
Newhook Dach Tarasenko
JRoy NRoy Perron
Armia Evans Gally
Pez (Farrell/Heineman/Beck)

Matheson Guhle
Xhekaj Savard
Hutson Hakanpaa
Kovacevic (RB/Mailloux/Strubble)

Monty
Primeau

Playoff caliber roster next 2yrs, barring several catastrophic injuries... Expiring contracts make room to integrate Demidov, Beck, Mailloux & RB next year even without any further trades... By 26-27 we could well be a contender if young core is hitting their stride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad