Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I'd actually rather move Ovechkin to the bumper spot and have Laine in the office in this case. I'm not really comfortable with how exposed Ovechkin is to costly turnovers in his current role.
All you have to do is fling the puck in his general direction to chew up 20 seconds. He's such a a liability at this point. Having him out there for every second of power play time needs to end

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I mean I think you have an open competition in camp between Stevenson and Shepherd. Clay probably runs away with it. If Chucky falters and Clay can't get the job done you claim someone off waivers. There's guys on waivers all season long. I understand everyone thinks Shepherd has earned the right but how many of you have actually extensively watched his goaltending style? He's really not an NHL goalie. He's got the heart and the battle but lacks the talent, size and athleticism.
My evaluation isn't particularly sophisticated, but it seems like Shep leaves a lot of juicy rebounds. He's good on the initial shot and benefits from Hershey's good defense (and the lesser average skill level of AHL forwards), but he will get exploited by NHL offenses without a dominant defense there to bail him out.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Very much disagree on getting a veteran goalie.

Shepard has earned the trust and respect. Give it to him. If he fails, Stevenson is next man up. If he fails, then you look at quick fix. There will be avaivable vet goalies from off season to playoffs.

Dont see it with the Sabres. Jokiharju? They are not trading Quinn or Peterka. Byram would be great target but also not avaivable.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If you look at the Sabres, who drops out if they want more veterans and size? I think Peyton Krebs likely. It's not Benson. Peterka and Quinn finished strong and both are still on their ELC. On the D it's propably Jokiharju and that's it. Clague is easy to replace.

Who of their prospects might be available? Rosen and Ostlund were both talked about as ones likely to be in the mix with a good camp. Savoie isn't close to NHL-ready but he's under control for a long-time and i can't see them giving up on him. Kulich didn't really take the next step they were hoping for after really good 2023 AHL Playoffs but still he's on a cheap ELC for 3 more years. Not all of these guys fit as there isn't enough spots but unless someone wants to get traded or they want to make a big splash, it's hard to see any of the top prospects traded.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m not going to pretend that I watch Buffalo a lot, besides when they play the Caps. But Krebs has some pretty blah point totals. What exactly would he bring that we don’t already have in the system other than youth?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Dowd for Krebs could make some sense in theory (getting younger), but that makes us worse next year and do we really want to stable a 23-year old as a future ”Dowd-replacement”.

Thats a spot you try to fill with someone who deserves it in Hershey or free agency.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
if there's a trade with Buffalo in the offing it's got to be for a better draft spot. They're not giving up their good young talent and Caps don't need middling guys, but maybe they want a vet D or Dowd plus 17 for 11 and something...

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
if there's a trade with Buffalo in the offing it's got to be for a better draft spot. They're not giving up their good young talent and Caps don't need middling guys, but maybe they want a vet D or Dowd plus 17 for 11 and something...
I think that’s probably most likely but there is history of Buffalo being sniped by pro scouting squads, they could be looking at someone they think they can fix and it seems like nobody’s got more than Buffalo

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Exactly my hope. Maybe they give us their 2nd at 42 as well as the switch of 1sts for them getting either Jensen or Dowd. They gotta give to get, eh!!

If we did that and got our choice of D prospects at 11, 42, 52, 82, 83, & 90 we could have a much better pool of D that could be ready in 2 - 4 years.

We could then consider moving NEXT year's 1st to Winnipeg for this Rutger McGroarty kid (if he is truly a good RW fit at 1st value - love the Miroshnichenko connection) and then try and get a 2nd or maybe a low 1st for whichever of Dowd/Jensen we didn't give Buffalo. We'd still have THREE 2nd round picks next draft.

That would boost out F prospects as well as our D, maximize our options on which forward we might trade out in one or two years because we have a better idea of which F in our pool fit together best, and any superfluous Forward might then have increased value), and keep our options open on how to spend the Cap space that will open up in 2025 & 2026 until later.

We could add a D UFA this July 1st in this scenario (Montour or other) and then attract a big name in two years if all these young'uns are handled as above and we are showing promise as a contender as a more attractive place for a big UFA to land.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Could see us doing a pick swap with Buffalo including some other assets going each way since they're at 11 but I'd be surprised if we had the firepower to get up to 4 with Cbus unless they want rid of Laine so bad they'd pay to get rid of him. You'd have to think we'd still need to send salary back to them though unless we're sure Oshie is not coming back. Please take Nick Jensen? lol Looks like we could almost make it work with Oshie on the books but not quite. Oshie goes LTIR and we can make it work with room to sign somebody to replace NAK. I really like AJ Greer as a 4th liner UFA who could be had for under 1M I'd imagine.
No shot the BJs trade 4OA to get away from Laine. Top five picks don’t get traded. Actually struggling to remember the last time a top five pick was traded?

But yeah, if 4OA is in play the Caps should make every attempt to get the pick. You’d assume CBJ would want players to help them compete now instead of futures, so really any roster player should be in play as well as any prospect save Leonard. 4OA gets you a chance at Demidov or one of the top defenseman.

Reactions: Calicaps

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
No shot the BJs trade 4OA to get away from Laine. Top five picks don’t get traded. Actually struggling to remember the last time a top five pick was traded?

But yeah, if 4OA is in play the Caps should make every attempt to get the pick. You’d assume CBJ would want players to help them compete now instead of futures, so really any roster player should be in play as well as any prospect save Leonard. 4OA gets you a chance at Demidov or one of the top defenseman.
Yashin maybe? That was a while ago though.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Tom Wilson might be the only thing we have to make them think about #4

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Who would you take at 4 if Levshunov and Silayev are off the board? Lindstrom, Demidov or Buium? Someone else?

CBJ won't make that trade but I'd definitely look for Waddell to quickly put his stamp on that team somehow. Y'know, Adam Boqvist is still just 23. Not sure he'll pop as a high-end defenseman but he does still have some raw offensive upside in the right role. CBJ's RD is crowded so could see him moved. Also wonder if they won't QO Bean.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Who would you take at 4 if Levshunov and Silayev are off the board? Lindstrom, Demidov or Buium? Someone else?

CBJ won't make that trade but I'd definitely look for Waddell to quickly put his stamp on that team somehow. Y'know, Adam Boqvist is still just 23. Not sure he'll pop as a high-end defenseman but he does still have some raw offensive upside in the right role. CBJ's RD is crowded so could see him moved. Also wonder if they won't QO Bean.
I would be more interested in McGroarty. Would be willing to move CMM plus 17 for him. I think that’s probably in the ballpark.

Moving to four doesn’t seem to be the MO. Looking to compete now. Need some goal scorers.

But realistically, you probably know best, is there a fourth overall that plays in the NHL next year? Might change the calculus.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think I would take Buium in such a scenario and definitely think he could play in the NHL next fall. Doesn't mean he will but could. He may be the second-best player in this draft. It won't happen but in terms of changing the foundation and swinging for upside there's so much to like.

Don't see the fit with McGroarty really. He's more of a third-wheel type on a line, albeit maybe a premium one. I don't think the foundation is there to be aggressive after a more limited all-around player. They do need more scoring...but they also need to control games better with more two-way play drivers. McGroarty doesn't offer that so much as a puck transporter...and I don't know about promising him an NHL spot either. That's easier with Leonard mostly because he's much faster. Whereas it's a lot less clear RM won't face some pace limitations. In the draft with an Eiserman as more of a longer-term target I get it. Go for it. But at least in theory that would still be a cheaper target.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I would be more interested in McGroarty. Would be willing to move CMM plus 17 for him. I think that’s probably in the ballpark.

Moving to four doesn’t seem to be the MO. Looking to compete now. Need some goal scorers.

But realistically, you probably know best, is there a fourth overall that plays in the NHL next year? Might change the calculus.
That's a massive overpay. You're giving up a homegrown likely annual 20 goal center who plays a solid 2-way game that has already shown he can do it at the highest level AND a lottery ticket for another really good player for a guy who's never stepped foot on NHL ice, has reports out about him that's he's unwilling to play in the AHL to earn an NHL spot that probably peaks as Tyler Toffoli. Hopefully you're not BMac lol.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
That's a massive overpay. You're giving up a homegrown likely annual 20 goal center who plays a solid 2-way game that has already shown he can do it at the highest level AND a lottery ticket for another really good player for a guy who's never stepped foot on NHL ice, has reports out about him that's he's unwilling to play in the AHL to earn an NHL spot that probably peaks as Tyler Toffoli. Hopefully you're not BMac lol.
Yeah some of the trades offers here with our prospects are cringe to be nice.
I think CMM has already hit the floor of elite #3 center and if he can fix his stone hands could have a breakout season. I know this is HF and we favor our prospects but the undervaluing just to make a change I dont get.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah some of the trades offers here with our prospects are cringe to be nice.
I think CMM has already hit the floor of elite #3 center and if he can fix his stone hands could have a breakout season. I know this is HF and we favor our prospects but the undervaluing just to make a change I dont get.
Center is not a spot of need anymore. We need goal scorers. McGroarity is highly regarded, and will get a premium.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Center is not a spot of need anymore. We need goal scorers. McGroarity is highly regarded, and will get a premium.
I know all of sudden we have 4 of them fighting for 3C and 4C Lappy, Protas, CMM, Dowd.
I would be looking to move Dowd in a trade to make some room. Protas extension would make him a highly paid 4C so I would like to see him and Lappy on wing.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

2008. Isles traded down from 5 to 7, then from 7 to 9, and picked up extra picks in the process.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad