Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
I guess the thing that concerns me is his ceiling. Unless you surround him with elite talent to inflate his numbers, what kind of production are we really expecting? I have a hard time seeing him score 30g or 65+pts myself…early on I believed he had that. I don’t see the stuff quite frankly. He hasn’t made himself anywhere close to untouchable IMO. Not saying it’s likely, but in a large trade he might be coveted.
He scored nearly 20 goals with the terrible lineup we had so I feel like having just competent quality NHLers on both of his flanks should result in 25 goals 25 assists maybe. Definitely not untouchable and I know I'm definitely going with the whole "sunk-cost fallacy" but I feel like he can be a solid part of the future if we keep him.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
So if Smith does make the jump to SJ as some are speculating (rightly or wrongly) it still might be possible Leonard changes his mind. If so (where any of the 1 - 3 RW could shuffle into any of those slots)...

XXXXX - Strome - Wilson
Ovi - Lapierre- Miroshnichenko
Milano- CMM - Leonard
Malenstyn - Protas - Sgarbossa

Where XXXXX is a scoring addition. If we go with a one-year overpayment for scoring as I have suggested as an option, it opens the door to considering any of next year's UFAs for offering long term contract (that would include potentially Rantanen, Draisaitl, Boeser, Vehaeghe, Konecny, Sharangovich - all under 30 and currently > 30 goals).

Advantage there is you would likely be giving someone closer to 27 the 7 year deal if we wanted to go the long FA commitment route. In that case the contract would not age out as quickly as any 7 year deal you do this summer. Also gives a Cristall/Funk/Suzy a shot at blossoming to be considered in the mix.
Wilson and Leonard should swap. If Leonard comes out, he plays top 6 minutes.

Plus, we need Wilson on the ice less, not more.

Teuvo T. is a useful lefty, can play up and down the lineup. Not a 30 goal guy, but a placeholder you can then move down the lineup later.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He scored nearly 20 goals with the terrible lineup we had so I feel like having just competent quality NHLers on both of his flanks should result in 25 goals 25 assists maybe. Definitely not untouchable and I know I'm definitely going with the whole "sunk-cost fallacy" but I feel like he can be a solid part of the future if we keep him.
I agree….we just need more than solid next year.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Watching this Fla/Bos game tonight, that's the reaction I wanted from us against the Rags. I know we likely didn't have much of a chance, but we should've let them know they were in a goddamned fight. Especially after they were knocking our guys out of games.
Both teams showed more fight than we did against the Rags.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I just wouldn’t touch our centers this year. Solid top 4 considering 2 are still developing, one who has crossed the vet/leadership role in Strome (he is the real deal - i could see him as Captain too), and one of best 4C in the league. Plus Protas as 5 and call-up depth in Hershey. I want to see another year.

Lapierre was getting targeted a lot by Rangers. His speed will help and Wilson will help keep people off of Lapierre.

More i see of Reinhart the more i like him. He is going to get stupid money.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I do like Reinhart.
I wonder if he would do a short term $10M to $12M for 2 or 3 years. He’d then be 30-31 and could sign one last long term deal. Or does he really want a max term deal. I would be willing to do that in $10M range but i wouldn’t commit 12M long term.

I think he would be great on second line with Strome and maybe Protas. Or on first line with OV and Lappy but I’d rather separate Reinhart and OV.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
How do people feel about Dakota Joshua? He's got some skill and toughness, forechecks hard. He will be a UFA, I think he's only 27 or 28.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
How do people feel about Dakota Joshua? He's got some skill and toughness, forechecks hard. He will be a UFA, I think he's only 27 or 28.
I’ve been impressed with him when I’ve seen VAN. He’s very noticeable on the forecheck, battles hard around the net, and is a decent finisher.

Quick lookup: He’s only making $850k now, had the same amount of pts as CMM in almost 20 less games. And he’s been a PPG so far in the playoffs.

He’d be a solid middle 6 add (as we shed vets like Patches, maybe Oshie). Not sure how much he’d cost, and I could see VAN paying up to lock him down.

Last edited:

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
He’s going to get paid. A lot. He’s someone the Leafs should consider if they can move Marner and/or Tavares.

Not sure he will get a big payday but probably $4.75M for a 3 or 4-year term.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I agree….we just need more than solid next year.
As someone who is also concerned with McMichael's ceiling, I have two thoughts.

1 - There are multiple ways to open up a center spot. You could trade McMichael, thus rolling with Strome and Lapierre as 2C and 3C and opening up 1C. But you could also trade Strome too at some point. Maybe after 2026 when he has two years left on his deal?

2 - While I loved what I saw, I'd like to see a bit more track record from Lapierre before we commit to him (to the point where we trade McMichael out). Lapierre has just 61 games at the NHL level with 10 goals/25 points in those games (playoffs and regular season combined).

At the end of the day, we're not winning the cup in 24-25. So unless someone approaches you with a stupid deal (I would happily trade McMichael and a 7th round pick for Matthews...), it's probably best to hold.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
At the end of the day, we're not winning the cup in 24-25. So unless someone approaches you with a stupid deal (I would happily trade McMichael and a 7th round pick for Matthews...), it's probably best to hold.

Yes , I believe being patient another year will be worth it and that the young group will be better as a group, and adding short term scoring and help on D will help even more. Especially if Leonard changes his mind and jumps.

The stupid deal I want is Ottawa to let us have Tkachuk and Chychrun for DK + Dowd + Jensen + 2025 1st + 2025 2nd!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

While he isn’t being actively shopped, the Minnesota Wild will listen on centreman Marco Rossi. Rossi, a first-round selection in 2020, recorded 21 goals and 40 points this season. Any deal involving Rossi would be a “hockey” trade if the Wild move him

Caveat: The Fourth Period is not a reliable source. I know already.

That said I think Marco Rossi would fit the bill of a young, legit top 6 center in the ideal age range the Capitals should be targeting

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

Caveat: The Fourth Period is not a reliable source. I know already.

That said I think Marco Rossi would fit the bill of a young, legit top 6 center in the ideal age range the Capitals should be targeting
What would Rossi cost, and who would he replace?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bringing this over here to avoid further pollution of the NHL thread:

Here's my take on Tom Wilson. He hasn't been the same since that injury in the playoffs a few years ago. He doesn't look as explosive or dynamic when skating. He doesn't have the same persistent swagger. He has a perpetually confused look on his face, and I'm not sure what that's all about.

He's either fighting injury, or the conflicting instructions from the league/refs, or coaching, or all of the above.

He needs to return to the savage wrecking machine he used to be and f*** what everyone else says. Much of his value comes from that status as an angry, belligerent unicorn.

If he can't do that over the next year, following an adjustment to the new coach and plenty of time to recover from any lingering injury, THEN I think you start talking about maybe possibly entertaining offers for pricing evaluations that could result in tentative trade discussions, in theory.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Bringing this over here to avoid further pollution of the NHL thread:

Here's my take on Tom Wilson. He hasn't been the same since that injury in the playoffs a few years ago. He doesn't look as explosive or dynamic when skating. He doesn't have the same persistent swagger. He has a perpetually confused look on his face, and I'm not sure what that's all about.

He's either fighting injury, or the conflicting instructions from the league/refs, or coaching, or all of the above.

He needs to return to the savage wrecking machine he used to be and f*** what everyone else says. Much of his value comes from that status as an angry, belligerent unicorn.

If he can't do that over the next year, following an adjustment to the new coach and plenty of time to recover from any lingering injury, THEN I think you start talking about maybe possibly entertaining offers for pricing evaluations that could result in tentative trade discussions, in theory.
Good summary of what we've been seeing from Willie over the past few seasons and the possible explanations. "Falls down a lot" could be added but iirc that's a trait that preceded his neutering.

I've been in the "move him for a good offer" camp because - if the team's staff is doing its job - this includes coaches, trainers/medical, equipment guys and others - they either know or have a reasonably good idea of why we're all seeing those things. And as time goes on, and the wreaking ball Willie fades even further into the past, it becomes less and less likely that another team will value him for what he used to be. If the issue is at least in part the league (and his 6-game banishment in March? strongly implies that's true), then only a GM with one of the league's darlings (like NYR, Bsn, Pgh) would have enough faith that he'd contribute enough snarl to make a difference. If it's nagging injury/-ies, then wouldn't that come out in a medical eval, and would there be a reputational risk for GMBM in trading damaged goods w/o full disclosure? (And, if the injuries are chronic, one has to wonder why GMBM gave him the new contract.) Coaching may contribute to the 'problem,' but we've seen this version of Willie under multiple coaches.
Anyway, Willie's presence here seems to be written in Sharpie, so we'll see if anything changes next season.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
It's pretty simple with Wilson. He's 30 now so less anger, more aware of consequences and (in an elite athlete context) starting to get old. Very few players are wrecking balls at 30+.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Good summary of what we've been seeing from Willie over the past few seasons and the possible explanations. "Falls down a lot" could be added but iirc that's a trait that preceded his neutering.

I've been in the "move him for a good offer" camp because - if the team's staff is doing its job - this includes coaches, trainers/medical, equipment guys and others - they either know or have a reasonably good idea of why we're all seeing those things. And as time goes on, and the wreaking ball Willie fades even further into the past, it becomes less and less likely that another team will value him for what he used to be. If the issue is at least in part the league (and his 6-game banishment in March? strongly implies that's true), then only a GM with one of the league's darlings (like NYR, Bsn, Pgh) would have enough faith that he'd contribute enough snarl to make a difference. If it's nagging injury/-ies, then wouldn't that come out in a medical eval, and would there be a reputational risk for GMBM in trading damaged goods w/o full disclosure? (And, if the injuries are chronic, one has to wonder why GMBM gave him the new contract.) Coaching may contribute to the 'problem,' but we've seen this version of Willie under multiple coaches.
Anyway, Willie's presence here seems to be written in Sharpie, so we'll see if anything changes next season.
I agree with a lot of this in terms of what's likely. But I will say this, I would very much like Willy to be around when Leonard shows up. I think Big Tom could help the kid find his level in the pros. That aside, if Willy were to be moved, the Caps immediately become one of the 5 softest teams in league which is not great for a team full of kids.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I agree with a lot of this in terms of what's likely. But I will say this, I would very much like Willy to be around when Leonard shows up. I think Big Tom could help the kid find his level in the pros. That aside, if Willy were to be moved, the Caps immediately become one of the 5 softest teams in league which is not great for a team full of kids.
Hate to say it but we were already soft with Wilson in the playoffs.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
What is Marners value? Big contract, due an even bigger one, and has an NMC.

Do the caps have the pieces to do it without Wilson? Something around 17, a couple roster players, some future picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad