Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They cannot come back with the exact same roster, that is all.

Losing Beagle, Chaisson, potentially DSP, and Orpik will not hurt this team. It is what made this team last season, turnover.

Also Beagle is criminally overrated here, love the guy but holy cow. If he will sign for 2 mil for 2 years bring him back, if he wants a penny more in years or dollars you have to let him walk.

Sorry buddy, this is just flat out wrong. Chiasson I dont care about. But if you can bring back the other 3, you do it. Immediately. (within the confines of their salary slots).

Turnover made last years team, only because it eased the pressure and allowed roles to change. We will have pressure no matter what as Cup champs, and roles will change w a new set of coaches. Best way to embrace that is continuity elsewhere, and cohesion in the room. That all starts (and stops) with the guys that got them here.

Easy Peasy, as @NobodyBeatsTheWiz would say.

Reactions: Corby78

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It is what made this team last season, turnover.
Coaching turnover could provide a similar spark, though. As could the continued progression of Wilson, Vrana, Kempny and Djoos. I certainly wouldn't clear the deck in July for any Hershey player to make the club, let alone be a regular. None of them have quite made that level of a case. There's perhaps some sense in leaving the 13th forward spot open for the best camp performance. Then again, aside from Boyd or Walker I don't think they're going to want Gersich or AJF either sitting or at best rotating in.

I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade over Copley on the cheap ($1M) and also wouldn't rule out upgrading over Boyd/Walker with a player that's either bigger, more experienced or more of a versatile bottom sixer. If camp performance dictates making a trade or two then so be it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Agreed Langway, all I want is for some Hershey guys to get a legit chance to make the team. Then you look at a vet pickup or bringing back Orpik.

I'm am convinced that type of competition makes everyone better and tells the guys in Hershey that if they work they will be rewarded.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
They cannot come back with the exact same roster, that is all.

Losing Beagle, Chaisson, potentially DSP, and Orpik will not hurt this team. It is what made this team last season, turnover.

Also Beagle is criminally overrated here, love the guy but holy cow. If he will sign for 2 mil for 2 years bring him back, if he wants a penny more in years or dollars you have to let him walk.

Only player to have won the Kelly Cup, the Calder Cup and the Stanley Cup. Heart and soul guy that's highly respected by his teammates. He had bad games, but I can't remember when he ever had a game where he took the game off. Faceoff demon and great PKer! More valuable than DSP, Chiasson . . .

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Only player to have won the Kelly Cup, the Calder Cup and the Stanley Cup. Heart and soul guy that's highly respected by his teammates. He had bad games, but I can't remember when he ever had a game where he took the game off. Faceoff demon and great PKer! More valuable than DSP, Chiasson . . .
And the third-longest tenured Cap IINM. Not just a throw-away 4th liner.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Of course he is, Chaisson won't be back, but DSP being 25 and an RFA probably makes him a better bet to re-sign. Beagle being 32 and looking for a decent bump in pay.

There is a reason why "heart and soul" guys like Hendricks have to be cut loose at some point around age 32-33, so other teams can make huge mistakes and give him four year deals. :laugh:

And the third-longest tenured Cap IINM. Not just a throw-away 4th liner.

And if he is willing to come back at the same salary or maybe a slight dip to 1.6 for TWO years, then sure, lock him up. He won't be. Again, it's a business.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed Langway, all I want is for some Hershey guys to get a legit chance to make the team. Then you look at a vet pickup or bringing back Orpik.

I'm am convinced that type of competition makes everyone better and tells the guys in Hershey that if they work they will be rewarded.

The Hershey guys just have to win a spot....can’t gift them. Vrana and Stephenson just proved that for all in Hershey to see.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Caps have had Jay Beagles before and they will have more Jay Beagles in the future. Someone out there will throw Boyd Gordon or Matt Hendricks money at Beags, and the Caps should pass on matching that just like they did with those players. If Beags wants to give the caps a hometown discount on a 2 year deal, then we’ll talk about bringing him back.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Beags will take a slight reduction to stay 2 years.

Seems almost silly to quibble over $250k a year....the more I think about it. Hell of a respected player and faceoff man.

Reactions: Sam Spade

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Please dear god tell me he will be there:

Why wouldn't he be?

DgjbzwkXkAEuMML

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I actually like that idea of teaching Wilson faceoff. If he's a legit 1st liner with OV and Kuz it makes all the sense with Kuzs faceoff struggles. Wilson has the size and strength to be dominate at faceoffs. And will need someone when Kuz get tossed from the dot.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Isnt Rieder LW? Rieder + Stephenson instead of Stephenson + Beagle? I doubt that is upgrade.

I think we can replace DSP easier than Beagle. So thats what I'd do - resign Beagle.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Okay Spinner has already won me over, he's wearing #68. Pulling for him to make it all the way so can watch Pens fans reactions when he takes the ice. :wave:

Reactions: calicapsfan

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Those who attend development camp will have to update us on who is actually running the camp this week. Usually was the Hershey coaching staff, which is obviously gone (besides Cashman). Wonder if it's a combo of Reirden, Cashman and whoever is still under contract from both organizations?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Caps have had Orpiks and Beagles for years, and won jack. What's the last HILT ("high intangibles low tangibles", duh) player that was really missed?

The greatest factor why they finally won is because they had very cheap and mostly young players playing huge in big roles -- Wilson, Vrana, Kempny, DSP, even Stephenson and Djoos. Yes, the vets played well too, but given their huge contracts, that's kinda the expectation.

The core has now won the Cup and is battle-hardened. They don't need any more babysitters. They are loaded with players on big contracts, who need to lead the way. At this point the Caps can't and shouldn't pay any more big premiums for intangibles -- and I think getting rid of Orpik's contract, over the easier solution of trading Bura, shows that BMac's thinking is trending this way.

It's fine for the Caps to consider re-signing Beagle/Orpik for what they are --bottom line/pair vets who drag down the crap out of possession, but who have certain skills that are useful in particular situations. If you can't find significantly better/cheaper alternatives, then sure, keep 'em.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
All you guys saying re-signing DSP isn't a priority .... I disagree. You gotta reward that kind of a playoff performance. He's our new Druce. Not saying sign him for 7 years ... but keep him on the team.

Reactions: BigBucketHolly

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Me?

Wilson - 5mil for whatever term he wants
Kempny - 2mil for 3 years
DSP - 1.25mil for 2 or 3 years
Beagle - 2 mil 2 years
Bowey - 900k 1 year
Boyd - 800k 1 year

Leaves about $1.2 to spend on 7th D.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Beagle is a UFA, DSP is an RFA. Further still, Beagle is 32 and DSP is 26. Combine both of those together and it's easier to keep DSP at a cheaper rate than Beagle and DSP shouldn't have as much age-related regression in his immediate future. I still don't want them to overpay a 4th liner, but if they can keep DSP around for 2 or 3 more years at a cheap enough rate, I'm all for it.

All you guys saying re-signing DSP isn't a priority .... I disagree. You gotta reward that kind of a playoff performance. He's our new Druce. Not saying sign him for 7 years ... but keep him on the team.
They shouldn't be rewarding players for past performances, they should be looking to see what players can provide going forward.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
No. Obviously you did, and I can't speak for everyone, but I never once got the impression the locker-room cared or loved Brooks Laich (or by extension Troy Brouwer during his time) the way they've loved Orpik. I think the only players that ever came close were maybe Ward...?

I didn't much care for him either but it seemed like the team was upset to have him leave, I know he kept trying to tell McLellan to let him finish the year so it wouldn't mess with a good thing. Winnik wasn't really an upgrade on the ice, a 4th line LW for a 4th line LW.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
They shouldn't be rewarding players for past performances, they should be looking to see what players can provide going forward.[/QUOTE]

I get that, but I think his performance clearly indicates that he has upside beyond a 4th line plug. Do you think his performance in the playoffs was just an anomaly? He's only 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad