Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is a good point to bring up. That age 20-23 bracket has 5 potential NHL guys: Bowey, Djoos, Siegenthaler, Johansen, Hobbs. At some point, some of them will have to be moved. Might be the best way to build some forward depth in the system.

Bowey and Djoos cannot play in Hershey next year (wont clear waivers). So the imminent decision is those 2. Obv Kempny and Orpik returning would mean 5 d-men for the Caps. Locked and loaded. I cannot see Djoos not being #6. It's possible he could get dealt, but I see Bowey as much more likely. He's on the outside looking in, on this scenario.

And to your point....Siegs, LuJo, and Hobbs are all top 4 in Hershey. I'm not sure who else is there. But they will come calling soon.

To this end, I wouldnt sign any other D for longer that 2 years. Orpik would be 1 yr, IMO.

Reactions: artilector

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No disrespect to "Batya" but why do people want Orpik back? This is a business, he was statistically one of the worst Dmen in the NHL last year, the entire NHL, I don't get it.

I love what he did in the playoffs, I never hated his contract because I understand how important leadership is, GMBM makes this incredible move to get out from the contract, when most of us thought a buyout would be necessary, Orpik did his job and now it's time to move on.

I'm 100% down with the coaching thing, but playing, no way, the league is too fast, especially the Metro.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
No disrespect to "Batya" but why do people want Orpik back? This is a business, he was statistically one of the worst Dmen in the NHL last year, the entire NHL, I don't get it.

I love what he did in the playoffs, I never hated his contract because I understand how important leadership is, GMBM makes this incredible move to get out from the contract, when most of us thought a buyout would be necessary, Orpik did his job and now it's time to move on.

I'm 100% down with the coaching thing, but playing, no way, the league is too fast, especially the Metro.
Because statistics only tell part of the story. Patrick O'Sullivan said something really telling the other day, that sometimes, in the midst of this advanced stat era, we forget that players are human. I'd bet that Orpik's presence off the ice had a significant impact on the on-ice performance of many Capitals, notably Kuznetsov.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
GMBM straight up said he would look at bringing 44 back for cheap after a buyout. He didn’t move Orpik because he didn’t want the player. He moved him because he needed the cash. BMac thinks Orpik still has value to this team. I trust his instincts.

To point to his RS performance and then say you appreciate what he did in the playoffs sounds like damning with faint praise. He played the last 2.5 minutes of the Cup clinching game. He may not be top 4 anymore, but he is core.

Jun 15, 2007
Anthony Duclair now a UFA after Chicago didn't QO him.

While I don't think the Caps need to be dumpster diving, signing him would be a low risk/medium reward type of move, like DSP and Kempny were.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Because statistics only tell part of the story. Patrick O'Sullivan said something really telling the other day, that sometimes, in the midst of this advanced stat era, we forget that players are human. I'd bet that Orpik's presence off the ice had a significant impact on the on-ice performance of many Capitals, notably Kuznetsov.

Ok and that's fine, and I agree about his locker room influence, but if they bring him back at more than a million per they are idiots. Not when they have plenty of kids in Hershey who have been doing the work, developed the correct way, and deserve a shot.

They won the Cup, his influence will never be the same.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ok and that's fine, and I agree about his locker room influence, but if they bring him back at more than a million per they are idiots. Not when they have plenty of kids in Hershey who have been doing the work, developed the correct way, and deserve a shot.

I'd rather have the kids learning from Orpik than not. I wouldn't give him a multiyear deal at his age, but going over $1M isn't going to keep you from making any other significant moves.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not when they have plenty of kids in Hershey who have been doing the work, developed the correct way, and deserve a shot.

It's a nice sentiment to just want to run with Hershey players but there are none capable of replacing Orpik or Beagle on the PK. They have fringe NHL talent down there that can maybe play survival minutes but there's no one exactly knocking the door down to be an NHLer. I wouldn't go over $1.5M for Orpik or $2M for Beagle but they still very much bring something to the table that can't be replaced internally.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If Kempny extends, maybe the Caps should wait 'till the deadline to get another vet for the bottom pair? The idea being -- get maximum playing time for the younger D men.

Orlov-Niskanen
Djoos-Carlson
Kempny-Bowey

Should easily hold the fort, and it will become more clear what to do with Bowey.

On the other hand, I guess, if the cap space is there, signing a cheap vet for 1 year (who's willing to sit if necessary) won't hurt. But then it should be a RH guy, as insurance if Bowey tanks, no?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I still kinda like the idea of Orpik for around a mil with the intent on playing him around 41 games. More PT for younger guys, still get the leadership in the locker room/practice, and he saves his body for the playoffs if we need.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's a nice sentiment to just want to run with Hershey players but there are none capable of replacing Orpik or Beagle on the PK. They have fringe NHL talent down there that can maybe play survival minutes but there's no one exactly knocking the door down to be an NHLer. I wouldn't go over $1.5M for Orpik or $2M for Beagle but they still very much bring something to the table that can't be replaced internally.

PK'ers are a dime a dozen. Caps have Wilson, Stephenson, Eller, if Boyd stays up he kills penalties. All four of the top Dmen kill penalties and you work with another one to get decent at it.

p.s. Caps PK was middle of the pack both in the regular and post season.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
If Kempny extends, maybe the Caps should wait 'till the deadline to get another vet for the bottom pair? The idea being -- get maximum playing time for the younger D men.

Orlov-Niskanen
Djoos-Carlson
Kempny-Bowey

Should easily hold the fort, and it will become more clear what to do with Bowey.

On the other hand, I guess, if the cap space is there, signing a cheap vet for 1 year (who's willing to sit if necessary) won't hurt. But then it should be a RH guy, as insurance if Bowey tanks, no?

I am not totally against this idea. The biggest thing to replace with respect to Orpik (besides intangibles) would be his PK spot. He is their number 1 left handed PK defenseman. Orlov plays decently there now, Kempny didn't play there unless one of Orpik or Orlov was the one in the box. So, one of Kempny or Djoos will have to fill that void or it will need to come from elsewhere. So, a left-handed defenseman capable of playing big PK minutes is needed.

Carlson and Niskanen are entrenched on the right side for PK and we have already seen guys like Djoos and Jerebak play the right side for extended periods of time at 5on5 and be fine. Doubt they go RHD.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Now that the "what do you do if Carlson doesn't extend?" situation is no longer valid, the next query is: what do you do if Kempny doesn't extend?

I'm thinking Ian Cole. Reasonably good skater, good enough puck mover, still only 29, and two Cup runs of playoff experience.

John Moore was previously mentioned. His skating is elite, but not sure I like the hockey sense enough to be paired with 74.

I didn't see him at all this year, but does Hamhuis have anything left? Might not be a bad 1 year option.

Jack Johnson might be a potentially homerun cheapish option. Not sure how much of a pay cut he'll take, but the downswing in production surely hits him on the market.
Reirden factor - Kempny will resign!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
if Boyd stays up he kills penalties.
Non-sense. They didn't even let Walker kill penalties and he had a longer resume of it.

Citing last year's statistics doesn't prove your point. They would be worse without them. I could see bumping up the roles of Eller & Kempny but these aren't just rotational PKers. They were their very most trusted ones. They could get replacements in UFA but the answer isn't there at the AHL level.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

1.5m for a year would make a LOT of sense (makes his contract whole again), and I'm betting/guessing that was the gameplan all along. I would even wager that GMBM and Orpik set the whole thing up.

If Orpik isnt re-signed by mid-week (tomorrow?), then perhaps I am wrong. We will see.

Reactions: calicapsfan

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Indeed. Bowey will have to clear waivers, which is why I mainly put him in that category of maybe being an asset to move.

Anthony Duclair reportedly won't get a QO from Chicago. More of a project than Rieder, though.
They couldn't move Duclair at the draft for a pick(s)? He was a 20 goal scorer 3 years ago.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
PK'ers are a dime a dozen. Caps have Wilson, Stephenson, Eller, if Boyd stays up he kills penalties. All four of the top Dmen kill penalties and you work with another one to get decent at it.

Boyd isn't a penalty killer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Thats not genuine. They are not a dime a dozen.

And Lambert is gone (PK coach), so we will see what that changes.

I want Beagle back, so this clouds my thinking....I've been a big Beagle honk for years. He routinely looks really really good in the playoffs (again this year), and his ability to move up to 3C in a pinch is huge. He's also akin to Orpik in the "well thought of" ranks within the team.

Caps dont need to blow anything up, even something as small as the 4th line, the PK, and the bottom pair.

Reactions: Corby78

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So teach him to be one, like you did Wilson, that is what coaches are for right?
There is a reason that it's mostly plugs that do it, cause it ain't that difficult.
Also teach him to be an elite faceoff guy. That'll fill the Beagle void.

This roster management thing is a lark. Just teach random prospects to perform key roles whether they're good at them or not. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So teach him to be one, like you did Wilson, that is what coaches are for right?
Travis Boyd is a completely different type of player than Wilson. He doesn't have the same burst of skating, and is obviously much smaller. Boyd is much more of a playmaker than he is a heart and hustle guy.

He's also probably not much more than a fringe NHLer in general.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They cannot come back with the exact same roster, that is all.

Losing Beagle, Chaisson, potentially DSP, and Orpik will not hurt this team. It is what made this team last season, turnover.

Also Beagle is criminally overrated here, love the guy but holy cow. If he will sign for 2 mil for 2 years bring him back, if he wants a penny more in years or dollars you have to let him walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad