Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I wonder how serious the Caps are, assuming that's true.

So what does Ottawa want, do they want a defensemen back? I'd consider Burakovsky +++ or Orlov +. Not sure I do both of them.

I know it makes things a little awkward side wise but Orlov doesn't have a NTC while Carlson and Niskanen do. Niskanen has played LD before, for team USA if I recall.

We also have a elite goalie prospect to offer them, which they could use.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I was really curious about that as well, but I figured if May was willing to name names he would've come right out with it. Logically though, it makes the most sense to assume Rierden was for it and Trotz against. Rierden almost has to have disagreed with Trotz, because it makes no sense for them to overhaul their defensive system if both the head coach and the assistant in charge of defense/associate head coach were against it. Trotz has always had the reputation of a guy who doesn't make adjustments, which the Orpik/Shattenkirk thing corroborates, so it makes sense for him to have been on the status quo side. Rierden's been coaching Orpik since 2010, so he'd probably side with the guy he's been with for 8 years. Wouldn't surprise me if the system Orpik suggested was one Rierden used in Pittsburgh, for that matter. And MacLellan's willingness to let Trotz leave in favor of Rierden makes a lot more sense if Rierden was involved in the new system while Trotz just acquiesced, rather than vice versa. That's just my own speculation though, May didn't give any hints beyond what I've already mentioned.

Where have you been all my life?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Unless it's for a bag of pucks and 50% salary retained I don't want EK anymore.

We just won the Stanley f'ing Cup with this roster, why the f*** would you ship off major young pieces in that run for another player that is an unknown quantity on our team?

The incessant need to tinker with our roster and add bloated contracted from elite players is comical given that after a lifetime of All Star teams we just won the whole thing with what was generally accepted as the worst team we've iced in the last 10 years. Maybe take some lessons from that, teams don't win because of pure talent, it's a fine dance between talent, grit, speed, endurance and luck. We have that mix right now, why jack up the chemistry because "but this guy is elite".

I just, I am boggled in the mind when I see these proposals. It's as if the previous 2 months and the preceding 10 years never happened. Three presidents trophies in an 8 year period and people are still piping on about building the juggernaut paper tiger when we just watched this team that was supposed to struggle to make the playoffs win the whole f***ing thing?!

Last edited:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Apparently Tampa is making the biggest push for him now.

I assume they would lose Sergachev and one of Point or Johnson (likely Johnson so they can make the contract extension work). Or maybe Kilorn perhaps.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
He should’ve been talking to himself.
I never really thought Hunter was a bad coach, just that his style didn't fit our roster.

That conservative and boring style could actually get some very talent deficient teams to over achieve, it's just a trash style when you have the greatest scorer in the league.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
RE: Orpik as a coach

Doesn't seem to be the teams MO to just bring in a guy and immediately place him with coaching duties. I would assume their first offer would be something consultant-eseque in the way that Kolzig is a developmental coach, Bradley and Sutherby are scouts, etc.

They could easily plug him in as development coach and groom him for the real deal.

Reactions: Hivemind

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I never really thought Hunter was a bad coach, just that his style didn't fit our roster.

That conservative and boring style could actually get some very talent deficient teams to over achieve, it's just a trash style when you have the greatest scorer in the league.

I don’t know. I thought the Hunter “era” helped the team mature in a lot of ways. He was trying to destroy a buttload of young-guy bad habits and be the first to stand up to Ovechkin. Hunter Hockey is not what you wanted long term but I thought his time here was short and sweet - a full, quick helping of tough love.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Meh. Just go with the roster that just won the cup and keep the existing core together going forward.

If Karlsson only wants to sign with 2-3 teams and we're one of them, it would be very stupid to not pay attention. We don't need to make a big splash offer but we shouldn't do nothing.

We may have won but It wasn't easy. We went down in every series, we played 4 OT games against Columbus, beat Pittsburgh with god awful perfomances from Kessel and Letang, Beat Tampa in 7, and Fluery was 2012 Fluery in the finals. We definitely earned the cup, but it wasn't a flawless victory. So we shouldn't stop trying to improve our team.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Unless it's for a bag of pucks and 50% salary retained I don't want EK anymore.

We just won the Stanley f'ing Cup with this roster, why the **** would you ship off major young pieces in that run for another player that is an unknown quantity on our team?

The incessant need to tinker with our roster and add bloated contracted from elite players is comical given that after a lifetime of All Star teams we just one the whole thing with what was generally accepted as the worst team we've iced in the last 10 years. Maybe take some lessons from that, teams don't win because of pure talent, it's a fine dance between talent, grit, speed, endurance and luck. We have that mix right now, why jack up the chemistry because "but this guy is elite".

I just, I am boggled in the mind when I see these proposals. It's as if the previous 2 months and the preceding 10 years never happened. Three presidents trophies in an 8 year period and people are still piping on about building the juggernaut paper tiger when we just watched this team that was supposed to struggle to make the playoffs win the whole ****ing thing?!

How is Erik Karlsson an unknown quantity, have you not been watching hockey the past 8 years?

The 2nd part is BS, this was an elite team just like 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017, (I'd say 2018 is our 2nd best and most well rounded team) with breakout performances from Carlson, Kuznetsov, Kempny, Wilson and a bunch of new guys who weren't in the league before. Just because people didn't expect those type of performances doesn't mean it was luck. The 2018 Capitals were a juggernaut team with the 2nd best Center depth in the league, fantastic winger and defensive depth, 3 top pairing defensemen, and an elite goalie. It was no f***ing cinderella run.

Reactions: Jags

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd try to trade for the best defenseman since Lidstrom, especially since he's being sold for 50 cents on the dollar and because you'd have the inside track on signing him to an extension.

But that's just my opinion.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Bura + 1st Rd Pick for 2019/2020 + Top Prospect

You absolutely go and try for him

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I dunno....I guess I'm not sold on him being worth what he's about to get for the next 8 years.

He's great and has had a great career to this point....but is he 11mil per season great like Doughty? I don't know about that anymore.

I'm pretty content with the top 4 as is. Sure, if you can add him for as little as Bura, top prospect, picks....maybe.

I dunno. Just not feeling it after what we just witnessed in the playoffs.

Reactions: calicapsfan

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bura + 1st Rd Pick for 2019/2020 + Top Prospect

You absolutely go and try for him
Just tried it and it would be dependent on what Wilson were to get as a UFA. If Willy gets $4.5 million we could pull that deal off. We'd just have to make some corresponding moves with some of our 4th line type guys and maybe Bowey to make the cap work

Jun 15, 2007
Considering Ottawa wants guys like Glass, Heiskanen and most likely Point and Sergachev we probably don't have the assets to get it done.

We could only offer quantity over quality.

Burakovsky, Bowey, Johansen, 2 1st rounders.

Would leave us with 400k in cap space at roster size of only 21. Would have to trade Connolly for a 3rd round pick or something. That's assuming Wilson gets 4m. Even worse off if he wants more.

Our bottom 6 would basically be gutted.

But it's wishful thinking anyway. Ottawa would want Vrana, Wilson, etc. They don't want our expendables.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I dunno....I guess I'm not sold on him being worth what he's about to get for the next 8 years.

He's great and has had a great career to this point....but is he 11mil per season great like Doughty? I don't know about that anymore.

I'm pretty content with the top 4 as is. Sure, if you can add him for as little as Bura, top prospect, picks....maybe.

I dunno. Just not feeling it after what we just witnessed in the playoffs.

I don't think he will get 11 million. Well at least if he comes here, he can't lol

Jun 15, 2007
Having Niskanen, Catlson and Karlsson down the right side while only having Orlov, Kempny and Djoos on the left is incredibly unbalanced anyway.

Would have to play Niskanen or Carlson on the offside or move Niskanen in the Karlsson deal.

Basically there's no realistic trade for Karlsson here.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
He turned down 8x10 from senators. He getting 11 mil at least

If it were me, as a competitor, I would turn down slightly more money to go to a team with a shot at the Cup within my career time frame. Ottawa is FAR off from that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad