Confirmed with Link: Caps Acquire Hagelin for 3rd & Conditional 6th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The biggest thing about this deal I like is that it makes Stephenson have to earn his spot. If Chandler elevates his play to where it was in the first two rounds of the playoffs last year, I’m thrilled even if Hags ends up as a healthy scratch. But with how much Stepehenson has regressed this season, having a speedy LW that can kill penalties and keep the puck away from his net is a useful asset to have.

That being said, Hagelin has utility but isn’t the player he was 2, 3, 4 years ago. His offensive skill set has completely vanished, and he not quite the forecheck he used to be despite having the straightaway speed. I’m going to keep my expectations in control, but I like having more flexibility when it comes to finding 4th liners who can actually kill penalties.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Also thinking about Hagelin in a red jersey just seems weird to me. He’s always been a Ranger blue or Penguins/Kings/Ducks black player in my mind.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Success is them playing well for you and fiting right in.... it’s unreasonable to expect to win the cup every time you’re a contender

And I question how many even fit your expectations reduced definition...how many truly play well?

I’d bet it’s a pretty low rate.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Don’t really feel like going over all our years but off the top of my head:

Fedorov
Huet
Arnott
Wideman

Dude, those are all McPhee years. And while we’re at it he wasn’t much of a Deadline Dandy either.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
latest RMNB piece on him:

“I must have made some kind of impression on them!” he laughed. “They’re a really good team, defending champions who always has the opportunity to go far in the playoffs.
“I’ve played these guys so many times it feels like I already know them” Hagelin continued. “I know Backy from before, he’s a friend outside of the ice. A really great guy, I’m looking forward to playing with him”.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The biggest thing about this deal I like is that it makes Stephenson have to earn his spot. If Chandler elevates his play...

I wonder if this deal was done because Chandler has not elevated his play as much as they had hoped. Or conversely, maybe this deal was done because BMac saw how something as simple as speed can lead to additional HQ scoring chances, from watching Stephenson last year.

I have low expectations on Hags. I want to see some lofts and board passes, to try to spring him. If he is not playing to his standards in recent years, maybe he has been fighting some injuries and "playing through" At 5'11 186 - he isn't the biggest guy. Ok 5'10.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Always interesting when a guy who obviously had a pretty respectable ability to be an offensive contributor just all of a sudden falls off a cliff for no particular reason. Hagelin is not old, has not lost his speed, still a rather good forechecker but ability to score he's had in his student and Rangers' years is non-existent now. Dealt with some minor injuries through his career but nothing major. The only reason that comes to mind is he lost his passion which sounds a little bit weird..

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
latest RMNB piece on him:

Encouraging quote. Looks like it could be a good move.

(edit: from a locker room standpoint as I discussed before. Who knows regarding play. Shattenkirk had a foot in the door with Oshie iirc and we all know how that turned out.)

Reactions: Blades of Steel

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I wonder if this deal was done because Chandler has not elevated his play as much as they had hoped. Or conversely, maybe this deal was done because BMac saw how something as simple as speed can lead to additional HQ scoring chances, from watching Stephenson last year.

I have low expectations on Hags. I want to see some lofts and board passes, to try to spring him. If he is not playing to his standards in recent years, maybe he has been fighting some injuries and "playing through" At 5'11 186 - he isn't the biggest guy. Ok 5'10.

For me Hagelin is here to do the job Stephenson was doing in last playoffs.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana/Hagelin-Backstrom-Oshie
Hagelin/Vrana-Eller-Connolly
Stephenson-Dowd-Boyd/Burakovsky

We may wont to upgrade Eller in a Burakovsky trade into:

Hagelin/Vrana-???-Connolly
Stephenson-Eller-Boyd/Barber

With 50% retention, Burakovsky+Bowey trade and Dowd/Jaskin waive we can have 9M Cap space (in Oct. 01 money) for a player.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
For me Hagelin is here to do the job Stephenson was doing in last playoffs.

Hagelin/Vrana-Eller-Connolly
Stephenson-Dowd-Boyd/Burakovsky

We may wont to upgrade Eller in a Burakovsky trade into:

Hagelin/Vrana-???-Connolly
Stephenson-Eller-Boyd/Barber

With 50% retention, Burakovsky+Bowey trade and Dowd/Jaskin waive we can have 9M Cap space (in Oct. 01 money) for a player.

Why would we waive dowd? Eller has also been playing pretty well lately, it seems a few guys are heating up at the right time. maybe the caps really were bored all season

Reactions: Drakon

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Maybe Hagelin will want to stay btw. If Bura is traded for rental, rental then disappears and there is top-9 W opening.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Encouraging quote. Looks like it could be a good move.

(edit: from a locker room standpoint as I discussed before. Who knows regarding play. Shattenkirk had a foot in the door with Oshie iirc and we all know how that turned out.)

i looked at his stats on hockeydb and it looks like he's had a bit of a hiccup in performance from injury? I see his game totals are down quite a bit these last two seasons. I think we will be pleasantly happy with him here and just IMO, he didn't seem to mesh well in LA when I watched him playing there.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hagelin needs to be sprung to get any offense out of him, IMO. Used as he was in Pitt. He seems a horrible fit for LA.

I am predicting he and Djoos will have good battles in practice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Some of the quotes from Kempe make me wonder if Hagelin couldn't help Burakovsky, provided he stays. We should get some indication at practice what their plans are for Hagelin in the lineup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why would we waive dowd? Eller has also been playing pretty well lately, it seems a few guys are heating up at the right time. maybe the caps really were bored all season

Watched the game last night and just now watched the condensed game. Burakovsky Eller Connolly look legit to me. Saw the NHLN guys all think Hagelin is going onto that 3rd line and I don't see it right now. If its only to keep Connolly going I don't think they mess with that line.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Watched the game last night and just now watched the condensed game. Burakovsky Eller Connolly look legit to me. Saw the NHLN guys all think Hagelin is going onto that 3rd line and I don't see it right now. If its only to keep Connolly going I don't think they mess with that line.

Being at the game they looked great... Burakovsky seems a lot more patient with the puck and he's more focused on moving the puck and waiting for his teammates rather than trying to snipe it all the time.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
What an inspirational journey for Hags. From aspiring burnout surfer to pro hockey player for the Caps. Welcome to the team brah. Sorry we took you away from those tasty waves!

p-fast-times-at-ridgemont-high-sean-penn.jpg

Carl+Hagelin+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Media+Day+4qACPMQMFqil.jpg

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Being at the game they looked great... Burakovsky seems a lot more patient with the puck and he's more focused on moving the puck and waiting for his teammates rather than trying to snipe it all the time.
He has also really picked up the physicality, which is beautiful. I dunno exactly where Hagelin fits right now, but I guess we'll see.

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He has also really picked up the physicality, which is beautiful. I dunno exactly where Hagelin fits right now, but I guess we'll see.

4th line I imagine... all of Jaskin, Stephenson, Dowd, Boyd have been scratched a lot before, so it's not like their spots are taken.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

i agree, there is flexibility though if someone is slumping now. I think the game plan will be that we are prepared to roll 4 lines with speed and defensibly sound.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i agree, there is flexibility though if someone is slumping now. I think the game plan will be that we are prepared to roll 4 lines with speed and defensibly sound.

Well sure. If you want to stir the pot, you change things up. 19 and 92 or something. You scratch someone different. So, if the Eller line goes dark, sure.

I will say this, though, Reirden was asked where he would use Hagelin and he said that was TBD because there might be another move coming. For all I know that was just smoke, but it might be that Burakovsky is still in play.

It would not shock me if they thought they could move Burt in a plan to put a more legit 4c face off guy in the lineup. Then Hagelin makes sense. That then reopens a spot in the lineup for DSP come playoffs

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad