Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
PuckPedia is probably going to be the successor.

They already have all the data that Capfriendly had and they shouldn't have any issues getting connections since they already do extensive work with agents. They're developing a "GM Mode" version of Capfriendly's "Armchair GM" too.

Their "one stop shop, all the information you need in one spot" philosophy is a bit of an information overload eye sore to me, but people will get used to it.
Yeah, they seem like the one in a "better" position than most. They just need to refine the aesthetics of the site. Exactly what CapFriendly had to do when CapGeek went down.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I work as a Software Engineer for a living, the kind of work done on a site like CapFriendly is actually massive. Doing something of that magnitude and doing it well is a big deal.

Just look at the website. It's much better and more feature complete than the alternatives.

Sure, I like the website very much. But are you guys saying that a comparable replacement will not be developed in the coming months? I bet it will be. CapGeek wasn't irreplaceable. Others stepped in.

I think what happened is that they hired the key person or persons behind the website and acquired the website as well, because the person(s) would only be working for them. This still leads me to wonder what are those special skills offered by those persons that the Caps were coveting. It's not like Capfriendly provided completely unique information no one else could offer. There weren't any trade secrets on there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I work as a Software Engineer for a living, the kind of work done on a site like CapFriendly is actually massive. Doing something of that magnitude and doing it well is a big deal.
I always think, "The poor bottom-of-the-totem-pole guy that has to go in and update all of the stats on a regular basis."...woof.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Caps aren't Fan Friendly.

Happy for the site owners for monatizing their work. They deserve it. But blank the Caps for taking away such a valuable tool for many of us fans.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Won’t CapFriendly’s non-public sources dry up now that they officially work for one NHL team? It’s one thing for an agent or league official to leak information to a journalist, it’s another to leak to an employee of an NHL team.
Agents will just to which one will be replace it and share info

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Sure, I like the website very much. But are you guys saying that a comparable replacement will not be developed in the coming months? I bet it will be. CapGeek wasn't irreplaceable. Others stepped in.

Whether a comparable site gets developed anytime soon or not remains to be seen. What I'm saying is the kind of work involved is massive, so to do this kind of job and do it well requires talent, skill, and hard work. Of course someone out there can do it, but the effort is not a walk in the park, I can tell you that much.

I always think, "The poor bottom-of-the-totem-pole guy that has to go in and update all of the stats on a regular basis."...woof.

Yea that part sucks, though I hope they developed enough nifty tools and methods to make their job easier rather than rely on the old school data entry method.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Whether a comparable site gets developed anytime soon or not remains to be seen. What I'm saying is the kind of work involved is massive, so to do this kind of job and do it well requires talent, skill, and hard work. Of course someone out there can do it, but the effort is not a walk in the park, I can tell you that much.

So the Caps needed someone to build a website for them?

I'm not doubting the effort involved to built Cap Friendly. It's just not clear to me why the Caps needed to hire their staff.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You don't have to worry. Someone will take their place.

Capfriendly is the third "#1" cap site to go down. It seems like most people have forgot that General Fanager was a lot more popular than Capfriendly back after Capgeek went down until Vegas bought it.

You also had sites like HockeysCap. They were the ones who created the "Armchair GM" tool that eventually ended up on Capfriendly.
if contacts and sources all dry up things will never go back to how they were. NHL is trying to stop us from seeing NHL contracts.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
if contacts and sources all dry up things will never go back to how they were. NHL is trying to stop us from seeing NHL contracts.
Why would they dry up now? It's not like agents only talked to Capfriendly. Check out Puckpedia. They have more inside information than Capfriendly.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don’t actually know how league or team offices work but I wonder to what extent each team has their own models or software stood up for this and to the extent they do have them, they may have just been running something on top of the data that comes from CapFriendly, so their tools or models may just be obsolete now
their tools should be fine once they find a new data source. The teams in trouble will be the ones who heavily use CapFriendly's DB as their "only" data source.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
So the Caps needed someone to build a website for them?

I'm not doubting the effort involved to built Cap Friendly. It's just not clear to me why the Caps needed to hire their staff.

Because this group has clearly demonstrated that they can get the job done effectively.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Because this group has clearly demonstrated that they can get the job done effectively.

What job? What aspect of the CapFriendly "job" was so valuable that the Caps needed to hire this staff and get rid of the site? Nobody has been able to clearly articulate why the Caps made this hire.

The Capitals' statement basically says that they wanted CF's "tools and functions" to help them better analyze data. But CF doesn't analyze anything. It's just a website that conveniently houses publicly available info, no? I understand when teams invest in analytics, but I don't get the value add here.

Maybe the CF guys have skills beyond what we see on CF. I can't think of any other explanation.

the nhl is trying to shut this down, dont want fans to know this info.

This theory doesn't really make sense. So NHL clubs are going to come gunning after other such websites as well, and they will do it by giving jobs to their contributors?

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
What job? What aspect of the CapFriendly "job" was so valuable that the Caps needed to hire this staff and get rid of the site? Nobody has been able to clearly articulate why the Caps made this hire.

The Capitals' statement basically says that they wanted CF's "tools and functions" to help them better analyze data. But CF doesn't analyze anything. It's just a website that conveniently houses publicly available info, no? I understand when teams invest in analytics, but I don't get the value add here.

Maybe the CF guys have skills beyond what we see on CF. I can't think of any other explanation.

It's easy for non-technical people to look at this and say it's just a "website". I guess Facebook, Youtube, Reddit, etc are just websites as well, nothing special.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

This theory doesn't really make sense. So NHL clubs are going to come gunning after other such websites as well, and they will do it by giving jobs to their contributors?
dont need to if the contract info is never leaked, only reason I can think of that makes sense to me is they dont want players to have comparables, save money on player contracts. cause I really dont understand the benefit of shutting down sites like capfriendly but apparently Bettman doesnt think fans should know this info

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00