Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (upd: deal finalized, site has been shut down)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The owner of the previous site before capfriendly- general fanager got bought by Vegas and their former owner is making all the cap moves for Vegas that people are complaining about. Why wouldn't Washington want that advantage too?
I dont really care to be completely honest with you. they could have developed their own or just use capfriendly as well and allow the fans to continue to use it instead of buying it and shutting it down. might just be a website and not a big deal to you but there's a big community that it effects and will be a giant trickle effect. even sites like elite prospects use info from capfriendly.

• Wow
Reactions: JenniferH

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I mean I dont hate you or any of the fans but I dunno how I can not be this way towards the caps right now.

also this is pretty minor, just wait till the site actually goes dark
No hard feelings on my end, I hate it too. I guess I’m happy that if someone had to buy it it’s my favorite team because it sounds like someone was buying it regardless but it still sucks nonetheless.

What sucks more to me is that the NHL is so dense and prehistoric that the Caps need to make an acquisition like this. Why does a multi-billion dollar industry need to rely on a tool made by two guys on the internet? Why haven’t they invested in software internally? Why do they insist on making the sport harder to follow and less transparent with its fanbase? I get the hate towards Washington since they’re the organization that ultimately won the acquisition process but to me it’s more irritating that this has to happen at all. You’re telling me the NHL can’t afford a few Product Managers and SWEs to do this internally?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No hard feelings on my end, I hate it too. I guess I’m happy that if someone had to buy it it’s my favorite team because it sounds like someone was buying it regardless but it still sucks nonetheless.

What sucks more to me is that the NHL is so dense and prehistoric that the Caps need to make an acquisition like this. Why does a multi-billion dollar industry need to rely on a tool made by two guys on the internet? Why haven’t they invested in software internally? Why do they insist on making the sport harder to follow and less transparent with its fanbase? I get the hate towards Washington since they’re the organization that ultimately won the acquisition process but to me it’s more irritating that this has to happen at all. You’re telling me the NHL can’t afford a few Product Managers and SWEs to do this internally?
I agree with everything u said and likely if it wasnt the Caps it would have been someone else. your questions pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I honestly CANT believe there's no pro capfriendly.

so basically if u play in a dynasty league the only difference between us and real GMs is they get paid for it..... unbelievable

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yeah this wouldn't be an issue if the league wasn't run by a bunch geriatric old clowns and had their own version available to the public. If the league won't do it, the PA should.

Reactions: rsteen and HolyCrap

ijuka

May 14, 2016
With the advancement of AI, it won't be long before we have AI run websites that can extract data from social media or the web.
Uhh?

Not sure what you mean. Even I could run such a script permanently right now. It doesn't require any advancement. It doesn't even require AI.

It does require you getting around getting IP banned by the website you're trying to scrape, though. But that, again, has little to nothing to do with AI.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Ohh makes sense. They’re going to use it with their organization and by them purchasing other teams can’t use it. I’d be shocked though if other teams this day and age didn’t have their own version or program they use for similar uses as cap friendly.

Just sucks for us fans trying to mock up rosters and trades.
23 teams in the league use and rely on it lol. Fans may not like it, but there were other teams bidding for it and the caps won to gain a competitive advantage.

Reactions: JenniferH

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Whats crazy to me is the Rangers - a multi billion dollar team - do not have anything internal.

Then again, Glen Sather ran that team for years so it doesn't surprise me that much :sarcasm:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Seriously, how hard would it be for someone to make a new version? A couple of motivated hardcore hockey fans with tech skills could easily build a database. It would make a killing if it were subscriber based.

I don't see why this is a big deal.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Seriously, how hard would it be for someone to make a new version? A couple of motivated hardcore hockey fans with tech skills could easily build a database. It would make a killing if it were subscriber based.

I don't see why this is a big deal.
Where are you getting all the access to contract details from?

Reactions: rsteen and Viqsi

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Yeah this wouldn't be an issue if the league wasn't run by a bunch geriatric old clowns and had their own version available to the public. If the league won't do it, the PA should.
Are there any other leagues that provide such a service to the general public, free of charge?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I dont really care to be completely honest with you. they could have developed their own or just use capfriendly as well and allow the fans to continue to use it instead of buying it and shutting it down. might just be a website and not a big deal to you but there's a big community that it effects and will be a giant trickle effect. even sites like elite prospects use info from capfriendly.

Make your own then, why are you crying cause someone else is capitalizing on their own hard work. This is more about the owners of the site wanting to take the next step then it is the Caps buying them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’m sure somebody already have a clone in the works.
There is nothing trademarked or proprietary in it.

It's just a tool that displays data.

Unless I missed something, it doesn't really do player analysis or has it's own stats.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Presenting the data in a way that is easy to consume is hard. Capfriendly did it really well. We'll see if others can repeat that.
Therr has bern others out therr.

Remember cap gerk? Cap frirndly set things up similarly.

Therr was another site I used as well as cap geek at the time thsy had a similar roster construct. Onr think it had was historical roster facts going back s fee years.

cap friendly had its short comings too like not showing rights holding players that were unsigned

The nhl can also just set up a tool for these purposes.

Over the years you had other sites that created metrics for player evaluation that got bought or hired in analytics

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd say that's a fairly minor part to it.

Capfriendly didn't start with them either. Once you become the default cap site, that's who the agents are going to talk to.

They will find another site to share it with
Make your own then, why are you crying cause someone else is capitalizing on their own hard work. This is more about the owners of the site wanting to take the next step then it is the Caps buying them.
Great for them selling. They had nothing that couldnt be recreated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad