Rumor: Capitals interested in Claude Giroux.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Giroux would help our power play and and face offs immensely plus he’s great in every situation. He’s a leader and well-liked all around. He is one of a few players in the league I would support overpaying for.

I hate the Flyers like every good red-blooded Caps fan should but I am googoo for Giroux.

Reactions: Tripod

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Reasons why the Caps could make sense for Giroux, even though they are not a top tier contender:

1) He's not going to get any closer to his home in Philly than D.C. He has a young child now. It's a plus.
2) Laviolette loves him and I think the feeling is mutual.
3) We'll see what happens over the summer, but he doesn't quite seem to have his heart in the idea of ending his time as a Flyer. He seems to have really wanted to play his whole career in Philly and may just be looking to re-sign in the summer after a dice roll playoff run somewhere else. I don't know how much the destination ultimately matters, is the point.

Why it could make sense for the Flyers:

1) A Caps' first round pick is the most attractive single piece that's likely to be offered by anyone.

As a Flyers fan whose favorite player has been Giroux since he broke into the league, I don't know quite what to wish for anymore. That he goes to a competent organization and wins a Stanley Cup, and then re-signs there and wins one or two more? Or has a run somewhere else but then re-signs with this bullshit team out of a misplaced sense of loyalty, but at least I get to see him back in Philly.

That's pretty much the only thing that I disagree with here. I'd look for a quality prospect/young player, even if it mean sacrificing the pick completely or making it a lower pick.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
That's pretty much the only thing that I disagree with here. I'd look for a quality prospect/young player, even if it mean sacrificing the pick completely or making it a lower pick.

I doubt we're going to be offered a prospect equivalent to a pick in the early 20's. Teams are going to be reluctant to part with anyone of note. We're either going to be served (mildly) disappointing 1st rounders or overachieving guys with limited ceilings. That's going to be the 2nd piece in the deal. 1st, B prospect, roster player to make that cap work. We can then flip the pick a lot easier than we can flip whatever young players we get in the deal to help acquire somebody that will actually make a difference down the line.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I doubt we're going to be offered a prospect equivalent to a pick in the early 20's. Teams are going to be reluctant to part with anyone of note. We're either going to be served (mildly) disappointing 1st rounders or overachieving guys with limited ceilings. That's going to be the 2nd piece in the deal. 1st, B prospect, roster player to make that cap work. We can then flip the pick a lot easier than we can flip whatever young players we get in the deal to help acquire somebody that will actually make a difference down the line.

The quality of prospects/young players that are being talked about are Olausson, Barron, and Helleson from Colorado (obviously not all 3 in a Giroux deal) or Tippett, Denisenko from Florida. All were picked in the middle of the 1st round (with the exception of Helleson, who has raised his value since being drafted). All are closer to being on an NHL roster than whoever the Flyers will pick this year.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The quality of prospects/young players that are being talked about are Olausson, Barron, and Helleson from Colorado (obviously not all 3 in a Giroux deal) or Tippett, Denisenko from Florida. All were picked in the middle of the 1st round (with the exception of Helleson, who has raised his value since being drafted). All are closer to being on an NHL roster than whoever the Flyers will pick this year.

Proximity to the NHL roster is not a factor for me. In fact, it's actually a negative unless we're talking about a true impact player. Much rather have the pick than a generic prospect with a limited ceiling or an underachieving former blue chipper.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Proximity to the NHL roster is not a factor for me. In fact, it's actually a negative unless we're talking about a true impact player. Much rather have the pick than a generic prospect with a limited ceiling or an underachieving former blue chipper.

Unfortunately it is for Chuck Fletcher and the Flyers. They feel that an aggressive retool is what we need, and not a full rebuild. The 2022 draft is, by all accounts a weaker draft. So I'd rather have Justin Barron (for example) than whatever generic prospect that the Flyers will draft in the early to mid 20's.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
So you want us to retain and take back salary and all you're offering is Protas + late 1st?

I mean, i'd laugh at that offer..but Fletcher is extremely bad at his job so who knows lol
isn't it expected that Giroux 50% retained will be needed for just about any trade? Taking back salary won't matter for an expiring UFA like Kempny. I think Protas and a 1st is about what I'd offer as a caps fan. You can have Daniel Sprong too!

But i have to think other teams could beat that offer, but maybe not. For instance, Colorado and Florida don't have 1st rounders this year. And Giroux could drive the price down if he limits the teams he's willing to join. DC is close to Philly if he'd rather not be far from his family and kids

Reactions: Misery74

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Uhh have you seen the Backstrom contract?? Talk about bad. Giroux doesn’t look his age at all. I’m certain he’ll age better than Backstrom
How did this fly under the radar for so long.
Oh well, here goes.

Stupid comments are stupid.

Backstrom has, for his entire career been largely reliably in the lineup, he’s had a little more than one season significantly impacted by a major injury. Also for his career he’s been a more productive player than Giroux for essentially the length of his career, has made less money, and is only now making more than Giroux.

Want to talk about stupid contracts? Talk to me when we see whoever offers Giroux a raise from his current $$.

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Oh well, here goes.

Backstrom has, for his entire career been largely reliably in the lineup, he’s had a little more than one season significantly impacted by a major injury. Also for his career he’s been a more productive player than Giroux for essentially the length of his career, has made less money, and is only now making more than Giroux.

Want to talk about stupid contracts? Talk to me when we see whoever offers Giroux a raise from his current $$.

/StupidComment

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Oh well, here goes.

A raise? From what i read next contract could be around 6 mil, 5 yrs.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
BD36F004-F2B6-4813-8030-CB336062C972.png
Oh well, here goes.

A raise? Not happening. Talk about stupid comment. No one signs guys in Giroux’s age to 9MM contracts except the caps.

Btw Giroux>Backstrom for entirety of his career.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
View attachment 514157

A raise? Not happening. Talk about stupid comment. No one signs guys in Giroux’s age to 9MM contracts except the caps.

Btw Giroux>Backstrom for entirety of his career.
There’s one pretty significant difference between these two that suggests you are dead wrong.

Giroux may not get $9M+ on his next contract. He will certainly get more than $6M (that’s just stupid).

Either way, as of today Backstrom has won with the Capitals. It looks more and more like Giroux never will with the Flyers.

For their careers both players have played essentially 1000 Games. Backstrom has essentially 1000PTs (0.96PPG) Giroux has 900PTs (0.9PPG). Backstrom has a Cup. For the bulk of their careers Backstrom cost 6.7 to Giroux’s 8.3. The Caps got their $$ worth, the Flyers……………………….

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad